Selling second hand golf clubs

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Doesn't seem right to me. If no transaction has taken place, I don't think they have any right to take money from you. Not sure about this as I've not heard about it before.
I've never used a credit card on Ebay, only this one current account. No problems or issues so far.
I have sold clubs on eBay the seller was a bit slow paying and eBay took the money off my credit card ACC that I use to fund this.
They paid later on but nothing was taken from the funds as I had already been charged.
I complained to them that they should have waited until payment was made and deduct their fees from this.
as usual with eBay no answer.

I sell and buy all the time using the 80% discount as the fees are high.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Ebay is my friend.

Purchased a nice set of Spalding Centurion woods 1,3,4,5 along with some other clubs earlier this year. I might have had them for 99p, but someone else bid £2.50.

purchase.jpg

The fully carbon-headed PGF Little Slammer 5-wood is very interesting, but the old metal woods did nothing for me, so I put them back on Ebay.
Sold last night. Thanks to two chaps doing some competitive bidding...

sale.jpg

Obviously I'm a little thrilled, but also very uneasy at being such a miserable opportunistic money-grabber. Someone to be despised?
Or am I an astute entrepreneur and wealth creator? (extremely small-scale) Someone to be admired?
Both?
Does being the second go hand-in-hand with being the first? Always?

Last edited:

Zig

Visit site
Reviving an old thread... obtained quotes from golfbidder and GC4C for a driver.... and they're offering around half the value of same clubs they've got on sale currently. Is that the normal mark up?? Seems like eBay/Facebook marketplace might be my best option.

Has made me think about trade-ins too... most pros will give you same as the sites above. I've just seen one pro offering £150 trade in for any old driver.... feel like picking one up from a charity shop to take in rather than handing over a Ping 425LST which would get me only a tenner more! 🤷‍♂️

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'd say, of they have a similar club on sale for 300 they'll offer 150, maybe a bit more if it's an easy sale.
Ebay/Facebook is the way to get the best prices but you have the associated fees and tyre kickers
American Golf did some stupid trade in deals a few years back..practically bankrupted the company....
Double PGA store value...
I bought some beaten up Callaway Apex heads from ebay for 50 quid, stuck some old shafts in them, took them along and got a new driver for them....£185 trade in became £370......
Crazy.

Reactions: Zig

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When I worked in a clothes shop they made a 300 or 400% mark up.

I recently sold 2 fairway woods to golf clubs 4 cash for £90 each. I bought them from them about 2 years ago for £160 each. I'm very happy with that.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Reviving an old thread... obtained quotes from golfbidder and GC4C for a driver.... and they're offering around half the value of same clubs they've got on sale currently. Is that the normal mark up?? Seems like eBay/Facebook marketplace might be my best option.

Has made me think about trade-ins too... most pros will give you same as the sites above. I've just seen one pro offering £150 trade in for any old driver.... feel like picking one up from a charity shop to take in rather than handing over a Ping 425LST which would get me only a tenner more! 🤷‍♂️

Where's the trade in deal at, if u don't mind telling......?

* asking for a friend 😉

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Golfbidder’s buy prices seem to be worse since it went automated. When they were sending you a manual quote (assume it was manual anyway, would take a few hours to come through) they were much better.

I recently sold a load of clubs on Facebook, made sure they were listed for more than golfbidder offered but less than I’d achieve on eBay, and they all sold easily and quickly. When factoring in eBay fees and delivery (which always comes to more than you charge!), not to mention effort, I got more or less the same anyway.

That said, I think it depends what you’re selling. A battered old vokey, more grip on a walking stick, sold in a day. My 2 year old Cleveland wedge in decent condition is still for sale!

Mandofred

Visit site
I just got rid of some old clubs through the pro shop, which goes through golf bidder. I just wanted them gone and didn't want any hassle....got £340 for them....which should just about cover this new putter I bought!!!

ThinBullet

Visit site
My usual route for selling clubs is to get a quote from GolfClubs4Cash so I can see where all the low ballers will pitch in, then look at eBay sold items as that's more of a true refection of current value. Take really good pictures in daylight outside, and clean your clubs. The amount of people who don't clean the clubs and expect top dollar is hilarious. Selling on eBay isn't great for clubs because it's a hassle with fees and postage and buyer protections.

Take them to your local range pro shop and ask if they use GC4C as a quotation system, and if they do, just forget it, because it'll be a lower than the quote than a personal one from GC4C. Affordable Golf use some random PGA used guide to get quotes and it's offensively low, so don't even bother.

Anyway, take the GC4C quote, and the eBay sold listing prices and personally land in an area where you'd be happy to sell. Stick the clubs on Facebook Marketplace, golf trade seller groups in your area and Gumtree.

The first few days will be full of low balling cretins who want your stuff to sell on during the season at a higher price, and scammers. Let that slide and be patient. More often than not, some random person turns up a week or so later, and picks the item up without any hassle.

Don't fall for the people who want to buy it for a relative and will send a courier, and pay through PayPal. It's a scam and best to be ignored.

If selling on FB, you can view the buyers profile on your mobile by clicking into their profile once they message you, so if they are 150 miles away, chances are they will ask about postage. Don't bother with it, because they want to pay with PayPal friends and family and that's too risky.

Teebs

Visit site
Sold plenty of stuff on eBay with few issues.

Like the above poster says, decent images, good description and a realistic starting or buy-it-now price all help.

It's not difficult

Springveldt

Visit site

Quick look on eBay and you should be able to sell a 425 lst for £200 without much issue. I'd wait until the 80% off selling fees offer and stick it on there.

I've never used them but a few mates have traded stuff into The Golf Factory in Killingworth and always been happy with the price/service from them.

Springveldt

Visit site
My usual route for selling clubs is to get a quote from GolfClubs4Cash so I can see where all the low ballers will pitch in, then look at eBay sold items as that's more of a true refection of current value. Take really good pictures in daylight outside, and clean your clubs. The amount of people who don't clean the clubs and expect top dollar is hilarious. Selling on eBay isn't great for clubs because it's a hassle with fees and postage and buyer protections.

Take them to your local range pro shop and ask if they use GC4C as a quotation system, and if they do, just forget it, because it'll be a lower than the quote than a personal one from GC4C. Affordable Golf use some random PGA used guide to get quotes and it's offensively low, so don't even bother.

Anyway, take the GC4C quote, and the eBay sold listing prices and personally land in an area where you'd be happy to sell. Stick the clubs on Facebook Marketplace, golf trade seller groups in your area and Gumtree.

The first few days will be full of low balling cretins who want your stuff to sell on during the season at a higher price, and scammers. Let that slide and be patient. More often than not, some random person turns up a week or so later, and picks the item up without any hassle.

Don't fall for the people who want to buy it for a relative and will send a courier, and pay through PayPal. It's a scam and best to be ignored.

If selling on FB, you can view the buyers profile on your mobile by clicking into their profile once they message you, so if they are 150 miles away, chances are they will ask about postage. Don't bother with it, because they want to pay with PayPal friends and family and that's too risky.
That's far too much hassle for me. I wait for the reduced selling fee or free selling fee offers from eBay, check the recent sold prices and then stick it on around that price as a buy it now and it usually sells within a day or 2 at most. Use Evri to post it, it's pretty hassle free. Just make sure you clean the club properly, take a few photos out in the garden with grass behind and they will sell easily if priced correctly.

Facebook Marketplace is full of mentalists who ask for postage when you state none, ask if it's available then never get back, scammers wanting to pay by paypal friends and you sometimes even get the "I'm going to send a delivery guy to pick it up can you fill this form in for me" scammers. Complete PITA to deal with therefore it's not even an option for me.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Over the last 18 months I've made 16 separate sales of golf clubs - all on ebay. I make good use of the 80% reduction in fees when such an offer comes in.
I'm very lucky to have a Parcelforce depot within two miles. If the package is below 5Kg, the cost is £6.90. I can specify higher than this on the listing as no one will know what the postage actually cost me.
I opened a Coop bank account that I use only for ebay and Parcelforce. This helps me keep a good track on my buying and selling.
I have not had any problems with selling stuff on ebay.
Made some really good profits.
I have a few more things to sell in the next few months.
I have sold some with auction, but I prefer to list with Or-Best-Offer.
The 80% reduction lasts for one week, or the number of days specified, with an auction. But the offer lasts for 28 days with Or-Best-Offer.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Just sold 2 sets of irons.

One sold through FB marketplace for the asking the other on eBay sold for my by it now in less than 5 minutes.

EBay is my preferred as it’s just easier. Facebook tends to be better for cheaper single clubs that sell locally.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Am looking to move a few clubs on. Got quotes from GC4C, some were ok, some weren't. Was going to send them the ones where I was happy with the price, but thought I'd give our pro a ring. They use GC4C as well. I asked what cut they take. He said none, but I would get credit on my club card rather than cash. Thought that was a bit odd, but tempted to do that to help with next years fees.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Quick look on eBay and you should be able to sell a 425 lst for £200 without much issue. I'd wait until the 80% off selling fees offer and stick it on there.

I've never used them but a few mates have traded stuff into The Golf Factory in Killingworth
and always been happy with the price/service from them.
Took the clubs I was getting rid of to the Golf Factory today. The price the offered me was just about identical to what GC4C offered yesterday (in fact it was £3 less).

I decided to take the Golf Factory's offer as it saved me the hassle of posting the clubs off and potentially having an issue over our respective view on the condition of the clubs.