Selling second hand golf clubs

JayB

Visit site
I recently sold a full set of clubs on eBay for over £600, tried a couple of sites for trade-in values and the prices I was offered were around 50% less.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I normally only sell here in the classifieds, ebay or facebook market place.

Normally for me what I get for them is more important than how long they take to sell.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You make the most money selling on eBay in my opinion. Golfbidder and the like won't stump up as much as some random consumer will pay.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Just sold some Callaway X-16's to Golfclubs4cash for £50. Had them on ebay for 2 weeks at £70 and not a sniff, so just went with the offer from GC4C.

The only concern was the DPD collection states maximum dimensions of the parcel to be 48 inches for the total of the length and longest side of the package. Mine was definitely over that but they took it without any queries.

TigerBear

Visit site
Ebay is your friend. easy to set up and no nonsense fees from the likes of golfbidder, golfclubs4cash, etc.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just sold some Callaway X-16's to Golfclubs4cash for £50. Had them on ebay for 2 weeks at £70 and not a sniff, so just went with the offer from GC4C.

The only concern was the DPD collection states maximum dimensions of the parcel to be 48 inches for the total of the length and longest side of the package. Mine was definitely over that but they took it without any queries.
If you want to get shot of older stuff that has lower value, like these, then GC4C, GB and the like are the place to go.
Mel's scenario says it all.
But I find anything of reasonable vale, say over 100 quid, you're better off with ebay.

If you have a set of irons that will make 300 quid on ebay, the dealers are only likely to offer 150, 200 max.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
At least once a month, I get an offer from ebay for 80% reduction in selling fees. Three day window to list something and it must sell within 30 days to get the benefit.
If I've got something to sell, I wait for such an offer to come in.
I set up a bank account that I use solely for ebay and parcelforce. No qualms about ebay having those details. Also very easy for me to keep track of my spending and selling balance.
Payment from ebay seems fairly swift as well.
It appears to me that ebay take the fees from what the buyer pays, then send you the remainder. They don't appear to be taking the fees from my bank account.

Last edited:

tomshanks

Hacker
Visit site
At least once a month, I get an offer from ebay for 80% reduction in selling fees. Three day window to list something and it must sell within 30 days to get the benefit.
I set up a bank account that I use solely for ebay and parcelforce. No qualms about ebay having those details. Also very easy for me to keep track of my spending and selling balance.
It appears to me that ebay take the fees from what the buyer pays, then send you the remainder. They don't appear to be taking the fees from my bank account.

That's the key with ebay, get one of the 80% offers otherwise the fees can be a considerable reduction to your profit.

I tend to use FB Marketplace as a first port of call but you have to be prepared for a steady stream of 'is this still available?' questions before someone actually shows genuine interest.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Ebay selling fees are high (I think). They also now want you to hand over your bank details to help themselves to the fees. For this reason, I have stopped selling on there.

I set up a separate bank account with a totally different bank for my eBay transactions for this reason.

Since Covid it seems to me that eBay frenzy sales can easily nett you a sale in excess of what you might expect...I've sold plenty of stuff and got more money for it than I would normally expect. Offers from Golfbidder and the like are paltry by comparison...especially for stuff that still has a decent value in the current market.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are going to sell via ebay, wait until Masters week. People always pay more around Major time, particularly at the start of a season. It's all the excitement :LOL:

Voyager EMH

Visit site
If you are going to sell via ebay, wait until Masters week. People always pay more around Major time, particularly at the start of a season. It's all the excitement :LOL:
Yep, sold a set of Wilson Augusta irons in April last year for 3 times what I paid for them. :D
Er, yeah - £19 profit not really a big deal.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It is a weird one that - it is a rule for local DPD not for DPD national.
When I was returning a club to PXG they had to arrange collection because of that rule, I could not ship it via local DPD

It is one of the reasons I use EVRI, max length 120 and overall add together the 2 shortest sides and multiply it by 2. Add the length. If the total is less than 245cm it is ok.
The only trouble is when it comes to drivers with a head attached, they need to packed diagonally to meet the 120.

TigerBear

Visit site
Ebay selling fees are high (I think). They also now want you to hand over your bank details to help themselves to the fees. For this reason, I have stopped selling on there.

It's been a while but it was a percentage of the sale.

What platform do you use now?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
EBay have taken payment from my credit card if the buyer is a bit slow in paying.
but have found them easy to sell on .

Voyager EMH

Visit site
EBay have taken payment from my credit card if the buyer is a bit slow in paying.
but have found them easy to sell on .
Doesn't seem right to me. If no transaction has taken place, I don't think they have any right to take money from you. Not sure about this as I've not heard about it before.
I've never used a credit card on Ebay, only this one current account. No problems or issues so far.