Second hand clubs and fitting advice?

aaronjunited

Hacker
Visit site
So I plan to buy some second hand clubs as im on a tight budget and just taking up golf again after i stopped playing around 4 years ago.

When i first played i was given a set of clubs and never got round to getting properly fitted.

I would like to know if i can buy second hand clubs and then go get fitted?
Can second hand clubs have their shafts lengthened? Or do I get completely new shafts in order to do this?

I had look at pings colour chart and going by my wrist to floor measurement and height I should have 1" added to shaft and a lie of 2o upright.

Is it possible to get custom fitted for second hands clubs?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
How would this work? Would American Golf do it for me?

I don't think American Golf would do it, they won't have any club building facilities and would get clubs made up for them by the manufacturers.

There aren't many people around who'd be able and willing to do it for you, which is why it would cost a lot.

As BiMGuy says, going to a fitting and finding out what your specs are would be one option but then finding clubs to suit will be a headache.
Altering lie angle is fairly easy to sort of you can find a Pro who does it.

If you know your specs you could buy standard clubs and fit shaft extensions and regrip yourself.

If you're 6 foot or under I'd just buy standard clubs and play those for a year or so and save the money up for a fitted set.

Although to be honest I think anyone under 6 foot who is of average dimensions will do fine with a standard set, fitting is a waste of time and money for most amateur golfers, IMHO. :)

aaronjunited

Hacker
Visit site
I don't think American Golf would do it, they won't have any club building facilities and would get clubs made up for them by the manufacturers.

There aren't many people around who'd be able and willing to do it for you, which is why it would cost a lot.

As BiMGuy says, going to a fitting and finding out what your specs are would be one option but then finding clubs to suit will be a headache.
Altering lie angle is fairly easy to sort of you can find a Pro who does it.

If you know your specs you could buy standard clubs and fit shaft extensions and regrip yourself.

If you're 6 foot or under I'd just buy standard clubs and play those for a year or so and save the money up for a fitted set.

Although to be honest I think anyone under 6 foot who is of average dimensions will do fine with a standard set, fitting is a waste of time and money for most amateur golfers, IMHO. :)

I understand.

I am actually 6ft 4" so standard length does cause me issues with swing plane and hooks, slices.

Will either have to do the fitting to get specs and buy something that i can find or else its save for a custom set.

Thanks for the advice.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
There are loads of longer than standard sets on eBay, lots of longer sets also tend to be upright.

Buy one that suits your budget and see how you get on. They can always be bent more upright if needed.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Buying longer length clubs is fairly easy, you may also need to look at the lie.

Lengthening clubs is a relatively easy job but it may also mean you have to buy new grips the shafts are lengthened at the butt end under the grip. Old grips do not always come easily.

Lie is a different matter as it cannot be done on most clubs that have cast heads. It can be done easily if you buy clubs with forged or soft cast heads.

All in all a rough guess I would expect a pro shop to charge around over £20 a club.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Buying longer length clubs is fairly easy, you may also need to look at the lie.

Lengthening clubs is a relatively easy job but it may also mean you have to buy new grips the shafts are lengthened at the butt end under the grip. Old grips do not always come easily.

Lie is a different matter as it cannot be done on most clubs that have cast heads. It can be done easily if you buy clubs with forged or soft cast heads.

All in all a rough guess I would expect a pro shop to charge around over £20 a club.
Most Pings are cast heads and can be adjusted for lie and loft.

aaronjunited

Hacker
Visit site
Thank you everyone for all the advise. I have in the end decided to buy the WILSON x31 set 1" longer. So i'm going to save for a custom set in a few years time and make the most of the practice with a beginner set.