Screw club manufacturers!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I would personally blame the nut holding the club! :)

Nuts are a touchy subject at the moment del... but becasue i know you have one and this is totally off topic:

The retaining nut/screw for the rear weight on my new FlyZ driver snapped in two yesterday!

Incredible, I just took the headcover off and the rear weight fell on the ground with half the screw left in the hole, no sign of the screw head.
Anyway after much blubs and several blobs I mailed Cobra this morning to see if they'll post a replacement so I can reattach the weight, just have to wait now to see if they'll oblige as getting the club back to the store overseas will be a nightmare

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Doesn't anybody play this game for fun anymore???
Launch angles, gear effect, lofts, jeez.
If a bloke only takes a 9 iron to hit it the same distance as I hit my 7 iron I couldn't give a toss.
I'm just praying I'm a better putter than he is.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
If a bloke only takes a 9 iron to hit it the same distance as I hit my 7 iron I couldn't give a toss.

But if people don't have someone to blame then how will they ever explain not getting any better? :whistle:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Question for you guys, lets make it multiple choice:

When I compare the distance and dispersion of my 7iron last Sunday to how I hit it yesterday I have lost a good number of yards and the accuracy has gone to pot, who conned me!

1. Manufacture
  2. Retailer
  3. Club Pro
  4. A forum member
  5. No one it was windy
  6. You call that wind?
  7. Ok it wasn't really windy
  8. GM
  9. Weren't you supposed to be working yesterday?
  10. Clay Long

I need to know who to direct my rant at?

Not sure about Clay Long, but I blame Clay Davis.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...........

D

Deleted member 1147

...and when it turns out you're not? :whistle:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
A 7-iron has a certain head weight to give the correct swing weight for the length of shaft, not because it is an intrinsic value in itself!

Er....Complete and Utter Twaddle! :whistle:

A standard 7-iron (head) 270 grams +/- 2 grams - end of story! And there is a 7gm difference between other head weights (may occasionally be a 6 gm difference within a set).

So absolutely 'because it is an intrinsic value in itself'!

The swing weight is set by adding weight to the base club-head weight, if necessary!

Most manufacturers dont publish the head weights - as, because they are standard, they don't need to.

But here's a link to Miura's 501 specs

#3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 PW
Loft ° 21 24 27 30 34 38 42 47
Lie ° 59.0 59.5 60.0 60.5 61.0 61.5 62.0 62.5
Offset (mm) 3.2 3.2 3.2 2.7 2.7 2.7 2.2 1.2
Bounce Angle ° 2 4 5 6 7 8 8 10
F.P. (mm) 4 4 4 4.5 4.5 4.5 5 6
Weight (grams) 244 250 257 264 271 278 285 295

And here's a link to a Golfsmiths page confirming my statement!

https://www.golfsmith.com/pdf/cm_intro_irons.pdf

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Nuts are a touchy subject at the moment del... but becasue i know you have one and this is totally off topic:

The retaining nut/screw for the rear weight on my new FlyZ driver snapped in two yesterday!

Incredible, I just took the headcover off and the rear weight fell on the ground with half the screw left in the hole, no sign of the screw head.
Anyway after much blubs and several blobs I mailed Cobra this morning to see if they'll post a replacement so I can reattach the weight, just have to wait now to see if they'll oblige as getting the club back to the store overseas will be a nightmare

While it was an off topic post I feel I need to point out that Cobra have been in touch since I posted the above and a new part is on its way :D

1st class service from Cobra

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

s-l300.jpg

:ears:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can anyone tell me the angle and depth of the numbering on my i20's then please, and how it might interact with the turf with it's coefficient of resistance against said turf, I really can't be arsed to go researching.....

Is this forum now US based?:smirk:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bunkermagnet, what a silly thing to ask. How in God's green earth can we answer that?

You havnt told us what time of the day you are hitting this strike as the grass will face ever so slightly towards the sun skewing the results. Jeezz, I give up with you lot. ;)

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The clubs may well be better as well as stronger lofts - the sweet spot could be bigger , the dispersion better , forgiveness better , the feel , the touch etc etc etc - they won't be "just stronger lofts"

What's all this myth regarding the sweetspot? I thought the sweetspot is the size of a pinhead.

Noidea

Hacker
Visit site
One of the first pieces of advice I was given as a teenager when I started playing was basically a 7i goes 150 yards, 6i 160 yards ,8i 140, still to this day I follow this general distance guide so not matter what make,what loft, what angle what new fancy bats you have ,10 yards out is not the end of the world.Remember tour pros are hitting wedges 150ish because of the pure customisation of their gear.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Titleist DCI Black Specifications, 1983:

http://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/irons/dci-black

Ping i 2016 Specifications:

http://www.ping.com/clubs/ironsdetail.aspx?id=19659

I was hoping to copy these out, but they won't line up properly. You will be able to see and compare the quite massive changes in specs that have occured in the last 30 years. These are both better player semi-game improver type irons btw.
Del, what's the point of this post? We all know that lofts have changed over the years, and not one single person is disputing that!
Just repeating the same thing over and over isn't going to do anything, especially when it's not the point of the thread. The point is whether there should be a standardisation of lofts (within a similar group of irons) not whether there HAS been a strengthening over the years! Shall we stop this repetition now? The thread is over, it has been for some time now... No one was right or wrong, there's just a difference of opinion. Some people made some well made interesting points and some didn't really come out of it too well. No need to keep posting the same thing tho, it's already been said.