Scratch opens/ club championships

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What’s the theory behind nearly all 0-5 opens being 36 holes?
Why do every other category play 18 yet the majority of scratch ones are 36?

D

Deleted member 15344

Because it’s supposed to be a bigger test of your game and it will sort out the best - could ask why is a tour event not just one round ? Most Scratch comps need to be off more than 18 holes and it’s easier to get them in on one day.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How many pro tournaments outwith the Ryder cup are 36 in one day? The 4 rounds over 4 days that the pros play is totally different.
It’s certainty a test of your game, but not of the golf skills IMO, survival of the fittest more like. Just watched a club scratch championship and it ended up a slogfest instead of quality scratch golf.
Both quality players but the 36 holes exhausted one guy. Personally I couldn’t be bothered with travelling to a course, wee warm up 36 holes then travel home and you’ve been away from the house for 12 hours or something.

D

Deleted member 15344

How many pro tournaments outwith the Ryder cup are 36 in one day? The 4 rounds over 4 days that the pros play is totally different.
It’s certainty a test of your game, but not of the golf skills IMO, survival of the fittest more like. Just watched a club scratch championship and it ended up a slogfest instead of quality scratch golf.
Both quality players but the 36 holes exhausted one guy. Personally I couldn’t be bothered with travelling to a course, wee warm up 36 holes then travel home and you’ve been away from the house for 12 hours or something.

Courses can’t close themselves to members for 4days or even two days so they have it at 36 holes

There are plenty of people around that play the 36 holes including myself - is it really that tasking unless of course the person is unfit even more so when players use trolleys these days.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s certainty a test of your game, but not of the golf skills IMO, survival of the fittest more like.

Agree with this point, and being honest i see it as a plus for my game, we have a few handicap 36 hole comps and i'm feeling pretty confident for them!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Courses can’t close themselves to members for 4days or even two days so they have it at 36 holes

There are plenty of people around that play the 36 holes including myself - is it really that tasking unless of course the person is unfit even more so when players use trolleys these days.
i used to love 36 holes club champs won a few.
But I am over 60 now I can still compete but 36 holes is a real test of your game and fitness at Grange it’s hilly .

Watched the top ams in the Rosebowl last year and even some of the younger ones were blowing after the walk from 15 to 16 tee.
I understand why they do it but think the field would be better if over two days.

I say this as me off five Cant do 36 so any empty slots are taken by 6/7/8/9 cappers because they can walk the 36 holes.

Not complaining just a bit sorry I can’t play in it!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our place is doing 18 holes on successive Sundays this year, total 36 of course. The aim is to still find the best but encourage some of the older and less healthy low handicappers to play still. We don't have many playing so it does not impact other members in terms of getting out on the course.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Mentally and physically draining. I like them providing I remember Vaseline for my crack.

Golf is a sport so I don't have a problem with it being physically taxing. I played 36 round Broadstone yesterday and that is a hilly course and I'm 57.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it is mainly down to the clubs not wishing to close the course on 2 consecutive days.

Up until this year both our Scratch and our Handicap Championships were one event on the same day all players actually playing in both comps . Following various comments about the day being too long, scratch, low handicap players moaning about being behind the higher handicapped players and players unable to play 2 rounds in a day we are trialling the handicap over two days and the scratch over one. The handicap competitors going out between the two rounds of the scratch.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have no issues with 36 in a day. Notts off the backs at 7400 twice in a day in fun.

With regards to GA. get some tight sports boxers and the problem will be gone.

D

Deleted member 1147

Our club championship is now over 2 days, but the Kedleston Goose, our big Midland rankings event is 36 on one day.