Scottish Golf and WHS

D

Deleted member 23270

I think this is in preparation for when they become an independent country ;)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Scottish Golf intend to implement their own software I believe which clubs will have to take.
Some interesting elements tied up in that statement!

As I understand it, the handicap data held on the CDH will be owned by the R&A and USGA as part of the WHS.
They will have terms and conditions associated with access to that data, including the ISVs, and the Unions.

Currently the data is owned, and managed, by the Unions (CONGU), and SG definitely seems to be playing by its own rules (as ever) and may well have a vision of the future. Whether it is within their hands to deliver that vision will obviously depend on a number of things.

What seems to have been happening over the last week is that they took steps in relation to the CDH they currently control that flew in the face of the existing ISVs providing services to the clubs, and golfers; leading to some angst and raised eyebrows.

They may well develop a software package going forwards, may offer it to clubs and probably have a number of ways to persuade them to utilise it. What actually happens generally results more from evolutionary theory than the intentions of any group...

The frustrating thing is that this episode took (is taking) resources that would be better utilised in the wider delivery of WHS to clubs and golfers across the whole current CONGU arena which must represent an additional risk to the delivery timetable in motion.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Some interesting elements tied up in that statement!

As I understand it, the handicap data held on the CDH will be owned by the R&A and USGA as part of the WHS.
They will have terms and conditions associated with access to that data, including the ISVs, and the Unions.

Currently the data is owned, and managed, by the Unions (CONGU), and SG definitely seems to be playing by its own rules (as ever) and may well have a vision of the future. Whether it is within their hands to deliver that vision will obviously depend on a number of things.

What seems to have been happening over the last week is that they took steps in relation to the CDH they currently control that flew in the face of the existing ISVs providing services to the clubs, and golfers; leading to some angst and raised eyebrows.

They may well develop a software package going forwards, may offer it to clubs and probably have a number of ways to persuade them to utilise it. What actually happens generally results more from evolutionary theory than the intentions of any group...

The frustrating thing is that this episode took (is taking) resources that would be better utilised in the wider delivery of WHS to clubs and golfers across the whole current CONGU arena which must represent an additional risk to the delivery timetable in motion.

Under the banner of the SGU they had a history of flying in the face of all reason and would plough ahead with what they wanted to do. It was their ball and they would do it their way (Drumoig) regardless of what advise and recommendations were made to them.

I had rather hoped that past lessons had been learned from. The revolt from the regional golf unions etc had made them sit up and take more notice. The noises and promises had made me believe that the "new version" was on the right lines. Hopefully Scottish Golf deliver and get it right with this new software they intend to roll out.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wonder what the cost to SG will be to provide all the functionality of ClubV1 (eg) provides outside handicap processing? The CDH is really only a data store, it hasn't got any processing function.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wonder what the cost to SG will be to provide all the functionality of ClubV1 (eg) provides outside handicap processing? The CDH is really only a data store, it hasn't got any processing function.

Particularly when compared against systems like IG where handicapping is a a fairly small proportion of what we do with the software eg financial management, tee booking membercommunications

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Particularly when compared against systems like IG where handicapping is a a fairly small proportion of what we do with the software eg financial management, tee booking membercommunications
Yes, ClubV1 is everywhere in my club. Bar, catering, security, functions

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, ClubV1 is everywhere in my club. Bar, catering, security, functions
Not all clubs work this way! We have IG on the golf side, BRS calendar and non competition booking, and multiple others (for various reasons and some linked businesses etc).
Certainly the ISVs will need to change their focus a little (in the face of competition from new solutions designed initially to simply return data to the new data warehouse (CDH), then back into competitions etc in the same way that many existing businesses did previously - but in the time honoured traditions of software, without the baggage.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks

Does anyone know how far it will supplant the 'extras' that the major ISVs provide (membership admin, entry fee collection, bar etc)?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
our place isn't happy about it, we have our own system, we are now going to have to spend on getting a whole new one for the WHS, something they hadn't budgeted for esp after we have just spemt £1M on the course upgrades:(

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Thanks

Does anyone know how far it will supplant the 'extras' that the major ISVs provide (membership admin, entry fee collection, bar etc)?

It appears to be very "hush hush" at present. Not really heard anything about the ins and outs but I can see why they want to implement it.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find it odd that the other CONGU unions, who must have much the same issues, have gone for Dotgolf which I believe will be or are already providing the system for Australia, New Zealand and most of the rest of the world outside North America. Dotgolf will only do the cloud handicap calcs for CONGU. The rest staying with the ISVs. This surely must be a lot cheaper than a square one rewrite.