Scottish Fitba'

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
The penalty would have been incredibly soft.

First disallowed goal, no still was shown, so no idea if it was off or not. 2nd one Kyogo looked on in real time but was a couple of inches off in the build up so the right decision.

Soft but probably still a penalty…..
If it was the other way you’d want it ?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I caught on Radio Scotland that there was only about 350 St.J fans at their own ground for the cup tie last night.
Strange for a big game and the excellent record they have in the cup.
Is there a protest going on?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I caught on Radio Scotland that there was only about 350 St.J fans at their own ground for the cup tie last night.
Strange for a big game and the excellent record they have in the cup.
Is there a protest going on?

St Johntone gave too many tickets to Rangers in the fans eyes and so boycotted the game.

A bonkers approach IMO. If they consistently filled the stands then, yeah takes stand.

Last time Dunfermline played Rangers (or Celtic for that matter) at home toe majority were away fans. I don’t like that as we should be attracting more fans but that’s hate revenue that we won’t, or shouldn’t be, turning down.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
St Johntone gave too many tickets to Rangers in the fans eyes and so boycotted the game.

A bonkers approach IMO. If they consistently filled the stands then, yeah takes stand.

Last time Dunfermline played Rangers (or Celtic for that matter) at home toe majority were away fans. I don’t like that as we should be attracting more fans but that’s hate revenue that we won’t, or shouldn’t be, turning down.

Maybe the club went about it the wrong way
I dunno but I'd of thought offering the bulk of tickets to home fans first to gauge sales and only then giving the rest/unsold) to rangers (with the obvious empty safety divide)... would seem to be best of both worlds
Didn't fully read up on it but it sounded like St J just gave rangers three full stands straight off

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe the club went about it the wrong way
I dunno but I'd of thought offering the bulk of tickets to home fans first to gauge sales and only then giving the rest/unsold) to rangers (with the obvious empty safety divide)... would seem to be best of both worlds
Didn't fully read up on it but it sounded like St J just gave rangers three full stands straight off

They struggle to fill one stand on a regular basis. Maybe the club thought they were exercising commercial accumen?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
They struggle to fill one stand on a regular basis. Maybe the club thought they were exercising commercial accumen?

Yeah I know its low but you'd thought they'd treat tickets for a cup game differently to a league game They've not won the premier league and never will
They have however won the cups recently and could win one again (not this year obviously :sneaky:) so fans might be more likely to attend a fixture in larger numbers for a comp the team actually 'had' a chance in
Rangers probably would've ended up with alomost three stands anyway but St J fan wouldn't have any gripe if they had first refusal

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah I know its low but you'd thought they'd treat tickets for a cup game differently to a league game They've not won the premier league and never will
They have however won the cups recently and could win one again (not this year obviously :sneaky:) so fans might be more likely to attend a fixture in larger numbers for a comp the team actually 'had' a chance in
Rangers probably would've ended up with alomost three stands anyway but St J fan wouldn't have any gripe if they had first refusal

I get that but as you know, football (and fan interest) is largely form driven. The board has to make a call about what is viable and sensible to keep the club sustainable. St Johnstone are like Dunfermline in that the fan base itself is small (comparatively) and they operate on fine margins.

Is it sensible to leave it to chance that fans that have been staying away in droves, coupled with form that’s patchy at best, then offer more tickets to Rangers fans that might not take them up at the 11th hour. Or to guarantee income from ticket sales, even if it means lower home numbers?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I get that but as you know, football (and fan interest) is largely form driven. The board has to make a call about what is viable and sensible to keep the club sustainable. St Johnstone are like Dunfermline in that the fan base itself is small (comparatively) and they operate on fine margins.

Is it sensible to leave it to chance that fans that have been staying away in droves, coupled with form that’s patchy at best, then offer more tickets to Rangers fans that might not take them up at the 11th hour. Or to guarantee income from ticket sales, even if it means lower home numbers?

Course not, but it is sensible to set a more realistic cut-off date for home fans to buy tickets and then give unsold to rangers with plenty of time for them to sell them through (they already work with much shorter time frames for ticket sales for euro qualifying games so giving rangers the unsold areas with a week/ten days to go is perfectly doable,
as I say rangers would likely get three sides anyway but at least the home fans don't feel they've been done over (even though ultimately the whole problem is kinda their own doing)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Course not, but it is sensible to set a more realistic cut-off date for home fans to buy tickets and then give unsold to rangers with plenty of time for them to sell them through (they already work with much shorter time frames for ticket sales for euro qualifying games so giving rangers the unsold areas with a week/ten days to go is perfectly doable,
as I say rangers would likely get three sides anyway but at least the home fans don't feel they've been done over (even though ultimately the whole problem is kinda their own doing)

I think the SJ board bumped up the prices for that match knowing that they would get a good pay day.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As resident StJ supporter.

Well…tie in that the club is struggling on the pitch and the chairman/owner seems intent on unloading himself of the club, with the club pandering to the arrogance of Rangers and their fans, as well as the vile hostility and sickening ‘songs’ with which many of these fans taunt the home support - looking for a reason to kick off - whenever they visit; then kick season ticket holders out of their normal seats and up the cost of tickets, the fans just said…enough…we’ve just had enough of this. And so the boycott.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What arrogance?
You just don’t get it do you. These views are not mine they are those of loyal home supporters of StJ. And that‘s how Rangers and it’s support is viewed. You might not like it but that’s just how it is. And together with what’s happening around the club at the moment and price hikes that’s why they boycotted the game.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So, the arrogance of a few St.J fans. Just an opinion, yet you state it as fact.
Pass…☹️

But I’ll add that the main concern was fans getting kicked out of their season ticket seats; increasing the ticket cost for the game, and giving three sides of the ground to Rangers support - effectively making it a home game for Rangers. That is was Rangers simply made the boycott decision a bit easier (gonna most prob lose anyway…?).

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Pass…☹️

But I’ll add that the main concern was fans getting kicked out of their season ticket seats; increasing the ticket cost for the game, and giving three sides of the ground to Rangers support - effectively making it a home game for Rangers. That is was Rangers simply made the boycott decision a bit easier (gonna most prob lose anyway…?).

What a shameful way to treat your own fans.