Scottish Fitba'

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agreed, but the 3 teams are miles better than Scotland.
Not sure that matters to players.

I used to play at Junior level (Scottish Junior league level, not youth), and even losing to teams like Linlithgow Rose and Dundonald Bluebell, who were much better, still affects your morale as a player.

Fans can detach from it and say “ah but they are better”, players feel it differently. Or at least that’s my experience of playing at a reasonable level.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure that matters to players.

I used to play at Junior level (Scottish Junior league level, not youth), and even losing to teams like Linlithgow Rose and Dundonald Bluebell, who were much better, still affects your morale as a player.

Fans can detach from it and say “ah but they are better”, players feel it differently. Or at least that’s my experience of playing at a reasonable level.
I did a bit of boxing in my younger days, I wouldn't have wanted to fight a world champion . lol

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did a bit of boxing in my younger days, I wouldn't have wanted to fight a world champion . lol
I’ve never met a serious footballer that didn’t want to play against better teams. With an expectation that they could match them. Which is why it has an effect to lose to them rather than a just “oh well they’re better than me/us” approach.

I think anyone in our dressing room that had that mindset would get the gaffer’s hairdryer on full power. And our gaffer was a mean bar steward.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’ve never met a serious footballer that didn’t want to play against better teams. With an expectation that they could match them. Which is why it has an effect to lose to them rather than a just “oh well they’re better than me/us” approach.

I think anyone in our dressing room that had that mindset would get the gaffer’s hairdryer on full power. And our gaffer was a mean bar steward.
In most sports, you look to learn from playing against people who are better than you. But, being totally outclassed might not be a good thing.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Think result was OK given Clark played many squad players, some who don’t often or even get on the bench - and really tested these players and every position.

Only watched highlights but at times, in 2nd half especially, that Scotland played some tidy football. And the French would not have stopped bothering as they too are top professionals, and would not want to be exposed in any way by a much lower ranked team - as Scotland are.

Was really pleased that Zander Clarke got the 2nd half as he is a bit of a legend for Perth Saintees - really hope that being faced with Mbape and crew and generally coping fine, boosts his confidence in his own ability and he kicks on well at Hearts.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
St. Mirren having another great season.

St. Johnstone on the other hand are already looking favourites for relegation.
Dire stuff yesterday…though the Buddies did look good they didn’t have to be that great 🙁

Quite a change from just two years ago when I was in the press room at McDiarmid Park holding both Scottish cups.