Scots Householders Only

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Anyone got any views, advice etc on which sets of Smoke/Fire/Co2 alarms to buy.
Had a look on Amazon but really no idea which is best.
Any advice appreciated.
I am not going for the electrical linked ones as I had a quote of £350 to fit 4 alarms.
Thanks

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'm looking at the same thing for our house. We need 4 smoke detectors and one heat detector. Battery operated.
The Firehawk range looks decent and not a bad price compared to some of the other units I've seen advertised, and able to fit yourself.
But, like yourself, I'm happy to take guidance from anyone.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I'm looking at the same thing for our house. We need 4 smoke detectors and one heat detector. Battery operated.
The Firehawk range looks decent and not a bad price compared to some of the other units I've seen advertised, and able to fit yourself.
But, like yourself, I'm happy to take guidance from anyone.
They are the ones I looked at fitting myself but as we had two new mains alarms fitted last year we've decided to get the electrician back in to fit the one more we need for the legislation as well as a heat alarm for the kitchen - it's been a relatively expensive exercise.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
£422 it's cost me. All because I didn't have one interlinked smoke alarm in my living room. The uphieval to retro fit one was too much so we've gone for wireless interlinked AICO ones.

One of the guys at work isn't bothering as insurance companies are saying ' we don't ask what type of alarm you have'. Told him he'd better get that in writing, but he's comfortable it's not required for his home insurance. I'm not so sure.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
One of the guys at work isn't bothering as insurance companies are saying ' we don't ask what type of alarm you have'. Told him he'd better get that in writing, but he's comfortable it's not required for his home insurance. I'm not so sure.
My mate is an insurance underwriter in Scotland for one of the UK's biggest companies - he told me that a claims handler will ask you if you have fire alarms but that they won't ask if they meet Scotland's new legislation.

That of course is subject to change and may vary across companies.

D

Deleted member 15344

No just different legislation. Although I've heard England are following suit but not sure if it's true or not.

We put in one that’s all link for fire/smoke - and then seperate Co2 alarm

D

Deleted member 15344

Yeah but our new legislation required me to have 5 smoke detectors and one heat alarm. All interlinked.
5 ? Is that because of the size of the house ?

We have put in 4 - both hallways , Kitchen and extension . Not sure of the make but cost £250 including yearly service for 5 years

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
My ex apprentice work mate now uses Aico E1650 Rf optical detectors.
You only need a mains supply at one, they have 10 year lithium batteries they interlink using the Radio frequency.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
My ex apprentice work mate now uses Aico E1650 Rf optical detectors.
You only need a mains supply at one, they have 10 year lithium batteries they interlink using the Radio frequency.
Think I got the wireless versions of this. I could have changed all the base units on my wired alarms so that they linked up to a wireless alarm in the living room but that was a load of work as well.

Whichever way I did it it was going to cost a fortune.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think I got the wireless versions of this. I could have changed all the base units on my wired alarms so that they linked up to a wireless alarm in the living room but that was a load of work as well.

Whichever way I did it it was going to cost a fortune.
I think you could've just changed 1 of your existing detectors to wireless and added more wireless detectors in areas that would be difficult to wire to.
IMHO hard wired is best, no need to renew after 10 years, just test them every 6 months.(y)

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
I think you could've just changed 1 of your existing detectors to wireless and added more wireless detectors in areas that would be difficult to wire to.
IMHO hard wired is best, no need to renew after 10 years, just test them every 6 months.(y)

? Now you tell me. Nightmare.

Think you'll still need to change the units after 10 years hard wired or not. They all have an expiry date.