Scots Householders Only

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
We needed 2 CM /heat in kitchen and lounge
Then 4 others dotted around the house, we were quoted almost £500 from the people of do our house alarm. Wife s looking into cheaper alternatives.
1. Ye didna
2. Dinna bother (y)

Like others, I was worried about the insurance angle, I've listened to folks who know what they're talking about.

You might have an issue when it comes to selling your house, so yeah get them then when you'll be on a tarting up anyway, otherwise you're throwing your money at something not needed

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
We're looking to sell our house, so decided we'd better fit these in advance. In the end, I ordered HiSpec alarms, 4 off smoke alarms and 1 off heat alarm for £25 each, battery operated.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
All fitted, fireguard plus, cost £190 for 5. Battery.
Quite easy to fit once you worked out how to do it.
Just filling in and painting the holes from the three old ones now.

I know someone who recently sold a house and they had them fitted before sale.
Market is pretty crazy at the moment, it went for 28% over asking price.:eek:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
All fitted, fireguard plus, cost £190 for 5. Battery.
Quite easy to fit once you worked out how to do it.
Just filling in and painting the holes from the three old ones now.

I know someone who recently sold a house and they had them fitted before sale.
Market is pretty crazy at the moment, it went for 28% over asking price.:eek:
I know, we have no idea what we will get for ours.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Old thread I know but thought better than creating a new one. Having moved house, I've just had to order some more as the previous owners hadn't fitted them. However, we got them to take the price of the alarms off the selling price. After the original panic, the price has come down now to £21.59 each so a fair drop from when I ordered them from the old house. I used the same supplier as they seem to still be the most competitively priced. It may be a pain, but we're covered now in line with the Scottish regs.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Old thread I know but thought better than creating a new one. Having moved house, I've just had to order some more as the previous owners hadn't fitted them. However, we got them to take the price of the alarms off the selling price. After the original panic, the price has come down now to £21.59 each so a fair drop from when I ordered them from the old house. I used the same supplier as they seem to still be the most competitively priced. It may be a pain, but we're covered now in line with the Scottish regs.
I knew Jocks were tight but getting the price of a house reduced by £21.59 (times 2 or 3?) makes me chuckle :ROFLMAO:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
They sold within a fortnight on closing day, with 35 viewers, two early rejected bids and 5 bids on the day.

Newton Mearns eh!
You should perhaps be buying bigger boots to fill.:love:
Aye, but some funny folk live and have lived there…indeed some have spent 50yrs of their life calling NM Home…👍 Funny thing is that for what my house in Surrey would sell for today I could buy a lot of what I used to think were the homes of the posh folk of Broom…we weren’t. We just lived in Broom.

On linked alarms and CO…doing our building work our electrician advised that we install linked smoke and CO alarms - though not a requirement in England for residential properties he says he has to log that he has either installed them or at least advised the householder. He has to do this for his certification and it sounds like he should be persuading householders to just get it done when he is doing a load of other electrical work.

The smoke alarms we were of course fine with - however having a CO monitor installed in our lounge because we had an open fire we were less so. In truth, with it installed just above the door into our lounge we actually do not notice it is there.

Last edited:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Aye, but some funny folk live and have lived there…indeed some have spent 50yrs of their life calling NM Home…👍 Funny thing is that for what my house in Surrey would sell for today I could buy a lot of what I used to think were the homes of the posh folk of Broom…we weren’t. We just lived in Broom.

On linked alarms and CO…doing our building work our electrician advised that we install linked smoke and CO alarms - though not a requirement in England for residential properties he says he has to log that he has either installed them or at least advised the householder. He has to do this for his certification and it sounds like he should be persuading householders to just get it done when he is doing a load of other electrical work.

The smoke alarms we were of course fine with - however having a CO monitor installed in our lounge because we had an open fire we were less so. In truth, with it installed just above the door into our lounge we actually do not notice it is there.
New build houses in Broom are now well over £1M. That's why we had to move out of the Mearns in the end as we couldn't pay off the mortgage AND buy another decent property in the area. The prices of bungalows in particular are ridiculous.
For the Carbon Monoxide moniter, the only place that would require one in our house is the garage, where the boiler is located. It vents outside but I'm going to put one in there just as a precaution. You can sort of see the logic of some of the locations, but even in our 4 bedroomed house, I would say that a smoke alarm in the hall and landing and a heat alarm in the kitchen would be sufficient. However, that's it now for 10 years so it works out at about £13 per year to cover the property. Not a lot in the grand scheme of things.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Did that regulation ever go through? Because I've not heard about this recently I assumed it had been binned.