Scotland golf trip - need some straight answers!

Laughing Gravy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
all

I'll admit it I'm bamboozled.

I've started to look at options for next year's Summer golf trip and although we normally head South, for climate reasons, I'm going to suggest we head North next year and sample some coures in Scotland but when I look into various options/destinations/courses I end up with a reet old long list and am struggling to formulate a plan of any sorts.

Aware of the number of courses and that I could book countless trips taking into account the quality of the courses and destinations on offer - Do we head for Ayrshire, Perthshire, Clyde Coast, Aviemore, Gullane area, even further North.....?

Also know it's all very subjective but I'd like to think there's got to be a best area to head to.

Few things to consider:

We're based in the Midlands so to the most Southern part of Scotland we're looking at around 6 hours so to far North might be out of the question.

Usually look to find a base (golf hotel perhaps) with at least a sprinkling of bars in the vicinity (nothing too lively required) and play 4 or 5 courses in the area. Travel 40-50 mins or so max each day. But if the trip has to be split then not the end of the world.

Although it would be briliiant to be playing your Gleneagles, Carnoustie, St Andrews and the like, we'd probably be just as enthused about playing a set of Hidden gems. Or if we could play one 'steeped in history' course complemented with a selection of lesser known, non-championshiop courses that would be ideal.

Obviously some Links courses need to be experienced, why else visit Scotland, but it's fine to include some parkland/inland courses into the itinerary too.

I usually use £40-£50 as the benchmark for a green fee on our trips to keep the costs at a reasonable level, but if we one or two went above that it'd be acceptable I reckon.

And if that wasn't enough, worth pointing out we have a mixed age range (30 up to 75) and ability range (4 handicap to 26 handicap) so some gentler courses (but hopefully scenic) in the mix would be nice.

So give it to me straight - given that briefest of briefs, where should I be concentrating my search guys and gals?

And apologies for yet another "Where in Scotland" thread, but your guidance will be treasured, I promise.

Thanks very much...

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One question for you (well two possibly!) - Links or Parkland, or a mixture of both?

Sorry, just realised you've covered that point in your post. I'd say East Lothian or Fife.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
If its your first visit... Then I'd look no further than the Kingdom of Fife... Plenty of reasonably priced accommodation in or near St Andrews... Lots of courses and plenty of watering holes...

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
eh mmm let me think Ayrshire! Turnberry, Troon, Bogside, Glasgow Gailles, Dundonald, West Kilbride, Largs and then a boat trip to Millport or Arran for Shiskine or hilly Lamlash

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
North you say, well my suggestion would be the Highlands.

Everything you could want, Championship Links with the likes of Castle Stuart, Royal Dornoch, Nairn.
You have plenty of nice parkland about too in the Cairngorms.

I would base yourself in Inverness then, you are only Half an hour away from Spey Valley, Boat Of Garten and Grantown on Spey.

Twenty mins from Nairn,Nairn Dunbar and closer still Castle Stuart.

Further North only about an Hours drive you have; Tain, Royal Dornoch, Brora, Golspie.

Inverness is a great place for Bars and Restaurants and such like.

Prob cheaper than the Fife, Ayrshire or East Lothian.

Plus you can fly to Inverness, from Luton, Manchester and Birmingham.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
OP says too far north prob out the question!

I would definitly vote St Andrews or surrounding area, it has everything you'll want and more than likely better weather than the west

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
North Berwick has a good choice of courses, Google maps show 9 courses within an hour of each other.

Whitekirk GC
Glen GC
North Berwick GC
Archerfield Links
Muirfield
Craiglaw GC
Gullane GC
Luffless GC
Kilspindle GC

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
North Berwick has a good choice of courses, Google maps show 9 courses within an hour of each other.

Whitekirk GC
Glen GC
North Berwick GC
Archerfield Links
Muirfield
Craiglaw GC
Gullane GC
Luffless GC
Kilspindle GC

+1 for this area. Though it's Craigielaw, Luffness and Kilspindie. I'd also add Dunbar, Longniddry (though a 'semi-links') and Musselburgh/Monktonhall (pure parkland). Muirfield, Archerfield (and Renaissance) probably unvailable/out of price range though.

Accommodation is surprisingly sparce in the Gullane area, though North Berwick should have plenty available.
Kilspindie House (Ducks) is near Craigielaw and Gullane. Recently improved and may do deals on multiple night stays.

Laughing Gravy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
+1 for this area. Though it's Craigielaw, Luffness and Kilspindie. I'd also add Dunbar, Longniddry (though a 'semi-links') and Musselburgh/Monktonhall (pure parkland). Muirfield, Archerfield (and Renaissance) probably unvailable/out of price range though.

Accommodation is surprisingly sparce in the Gullane area, though North Berwick should have plenty available.
Kilspindie House (Ducks) is near Craigielaw and Gullane. Recently improved and may do deals on multiple night stays.

Thanks. What about this place for the accommodation and course too? http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/our-hotels/marine/

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
You are definitely spoiled for choice if you have a blank sheet of paper headed "Scottish Golf Trip"!

I agree with the posts earlier - either go to Fife or East/Mid Lothian.

If you were OK with a small journey for some courses (say 45 mins) you could base yourself either in Edinburgh or St Andrews for bars and nightlife and have no end of links and parkland courses to choose from.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
OP says too far north prob out the question!

I would definitly vote St Andrews or surrounding area, it has everything you'll want and more than likely better weather than the west

It says "might" be and also mentions Aviemore.

You can fly quite cheaply to Inverness if you book far enough in advance

Laughing Gravy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It says "might" be and also mentions Aviemore.

You can fly quite cheaply to Inverness if you book far enough in advance

Yeah thanks and appreciate the extra feedback on Inverness etc. Problem with flying is you need car hire then and there's normally about 16 of us so it pumps the cost up again. Looks interesting though! Ta

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Op, having done the trip to Scotland many time can I advise they are all correct! TBH you really wont mind which area you choose as ultimately you'll have a great time, pick one of them and book it, then this time next year pick another one and so on! Personally would start in the St Andrews area, with maybe Troon next year, then after that head a bit further north up towards the highlands, but theres plen ty of ways to skin the proverbial scottish cat!

Think in total Ive done 8 or 9 trips like this and not had a bad one and the variety and quality of courses in most areas is something us in the midlands or similar can but dream of, so dont procrastinate too much, pick one and start the planning and looking forward to it stage!

Laughing Gravy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Marine hotel is great - stayed there for a "Valentines" weekend a few years back. Good spa too.... if you're interested in that post golf and pre beer!

Nice one thanks. The Lodge at Craigelaw opens in May 2013. Looks impressive and could do the job too.

Going through the course list you guys have supplied,in East Lothian, all look superb, especially Archerfield. It's going to take some cruel decisions to produce a short-list from those.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Thanks. What about this place for the accommodation and course too? http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/our-hotels/marine/

Those are the 3 best 'available' courses in the area imo. Offer is rather unclear as to what's involved though!

Gullane 2 and 3 ranks close to the top of my 'best day's golf' chart! Gullane 1 defo better than either of those but doesn't warrant the price difference imo. North Berwick is beautifully quirky and St Andrew like. Dunbar is simply a fabulous, plain, simple links right next to the sea! My old club, Craigielaw, is one of the best places on earth when the sun is setting (over Arthur's Seat) and the geese are coming into Aberlady Bay in their squadrons - with 5 other links courses in plain view!

Laughing Gravy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Those are the 3 best 'available' courses in the area imo. Offer is rather unclear as to what's involved though!

Gullane 2 and 3 ranks close to the top of my 'best day's golf' chart! Gullane 1 defo better than either of those but doesn't warrant the price difference imo. North Berwick is beautifully quirky and St Andrew like. Dunbar is simply a fabulous, plain, simple links right next to the sea! My old club, Craigielaw, is one of the best places on earth when the sun is setting (over Arthur's Seat) and the geese are coming into Aberlady Bay in their squadrons - with 5 other links courses in plain view!

Sounds heavenly! And Archerfields?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Sounds heavenly! And Archerfields?

Archerfield, Renaissance (not played) and Muirfield would be on my 'not available' list. Probably not appropriate for a Special/Highlight on a trip, though I have planned an entire trip around a return to Muirfield. Gullane 1 or North Berwick (West) would be my picks for a 'highlight'.

Forgot/didn't realise trip was for next Summer when C'Law Lodges should be available. If quality and value is same as rest of course/Clubhouse, they should be perfect too.