Scotland Debate

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You dont really hear of Norway being "in bed with the US" as opposed to the UK.

We are always guilty by association.
Well being in Nato certainly aligns it towards US. But proximity to Russia almost certainly means that alignment is played down!

What you or I hear is rather irrelevant - and unfortunately rather filtered/biased imo.

And isn't independence all about iScotland taking their own path anyway - though, with membership of Nato proposed, I believe it would be pretty much 'as now' but with no rUK bases and no Nuclear Weapons.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Well being in Nato certainly aligns it towards US. But proximity to Russia almost certainly means that alignment is played down!

What you or I hear is rather irrelevant - and unfortunately rather filtered/biased imo.

And isn't independence all about iScotland taking their own path anyway - though, with membership of Nato proposed, I believe it would be pretty much 'as now' but with no rUK bases and no Nuclear Weapons.

With the US being a major player in NATO - then i would be amazed if the Nuclear Weapons went anywhere and there would need to be some military presence - they would need to bring something to the table

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
With the US being a major player in NATO - then i would be amazed if the Nuclear Weapons went anywhere and there would need to be some military presence - they would need to bring something to the table

Well, to continue the Norway analogy, Norway refuses to allow Nuclear Weapons to be based in Norway. Sound familiar?

It is at the forefront of the de-Nuke movement too.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well, to continue the Norway analogy, Norway refuses to allow Nuclear Weapons to be based in Norway. Sound familiar?

It is at the forefront of the de-Nuke movement too.

And Norway currently contribute their airforce and military to NATO - what will Scotland contribute

As for nuclear weapons in Scotland - its a tired old argument now and Scotland isnt Norway

I do wonder ff this is still valid though

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/nov/26/alex-salmond-snp-stance-nato-nuclear-weapons

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
And Norway currently contribute their airforce and military to NATO - what will Scotland contribute

As for nuclear weapons in Scotland - its a tired old argument now and Scotland isnt Norway

Not for me to say, but Ships and Troops would be my guess! There's probably a air base or 2 available too!:whistle:

Nuclear Weapons may be 'tired' but I believe its rather important! And I believe the ditching of the nukes from Faslane/Coulport is deemed rather important in Scotland too. But this was discussed several hundred posts ago.

I suspect the 'softening' is part of Nato committment reality - just like Norway and Denmark. New Zealand banned all nukes and with US not prepared to disclose, US suspended ANZUS obligations to NZ. I guess that a prospective new Nato member with that approach would probably be vetoed/not allowed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Not for me to say, but Ships and Troops would be my guess! There's probably a air base or 2 available too!:whistle:

Nuclear Weapons may be 'tired' but I believe its rather important! And I believe the ditching of the nukes from Faslane/Coulport is deemed rather important in Scotland too. But this was discussed several hundred posts ago.

I suspect the 'softening' is part of Nato committment reality - just like Norway and Denmark. New Zealand banned all nukes and with US not prepared to disclose, US suspended ANZUS obligations to NZ. I guess that a prospective new Nato member with that approach would probably be vetoed/not allowed.

What ships and troops do Scotland have ? Yes there maybe a few empty air bases.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just as there will be a sharing of the debt, I'd say there'll be a sharing of the assets. Regiments they already have, including the equipment, plus 10%-ish of the RAF and Navy.

Equipment yes, personnel no. You can't turn round to people that joined the British Army and say you are now in the Scottish one.
There are Scottish Infantry Battalions and an Armoured Regiment, the rest of the essential arms and services are not regionally recruited anyway.

D

Deleted member 15344

Just as there will be a sharing of the debt, I'd say there'll be a sharing of the assets. Regiments they already have, including the equipment, plus 10%-ish of the RAF and Navy.

I dont think it's that easy - what about if the personel want to stay in the current forces ?

What about pensions and pay etc - postings ,

I can't see many wanting to transfer

If there is an independance then I could see a deal that the current forces "cover" them

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I dont think it's that easy - what about if the personel want to stay in the current forces ?

What about pensions and pay etc - postings ,

I can't see many wanting to transfer

If there is an independance then I could see a deal that the current forces "cover" them

Doubt if anything about the whole process post Independence would be 'easy' but just because it'll be problematic or complex doesn't mean it shouldn't/won't be done though (the reverse is pretty much the entire No campaign strategy right there)

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site

That cannot be guaranteed. Any military equipment that has any technology designated as ITAR by the US Department of Defence cannot automatically be transferred to IScotland. The US has ITAR transfer agreements with the UK. An IScotland would need to apply to the US to obtain the same agreements before it could hold any ITAR technology.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Adi.....I see the lunchtime BBC Radio political discussion was from Port Glasgow....were you there.
Hands up poll at the end had the audience split exactly 50-50 to keep Trident.

Some were saying that there will be a jobs bonanza in the area with the West Coast oil fields.