Scotland Debate

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thank you Foxholer.......I am out of here now as I find some of the 'robust' comments rude and bullying.

Outrageous, the questions and opinions on this thread would always be robust, you weren't shy of being opinionated yourself but you couldn't back any up why challenged and swerved many valid points asked.

Last edited:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In 'defence' of DFT...that's something I didn't expect to be doing!

Your statement about what was in the White Paper seems to answer your own question!

Neither of the other 2 'comments' were really actually questions! Certainly the 1st wasn't, and a reply to the 2nd would only have been a repeat of the first sentence!

I'm making no comment on the validity of the statements/opinions either way btw, just can't see why a reply to either was considered necessary/avoided.

Nonsense, all were questions.

1 - What makes you think that the BBC will be ditched? Valid question to a post from DFT, I questioned his opinion.

2 - So why did/is our economy grow/growing at a slower rate than that of the UK? Valid question to a post from DFT.

3 - How can it be nothing to so with Scotland if it's Scotland that's affecting it? Again another valid question.

How can you defend that?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Nonsense, all were questions.

1 - What makes you think that the BBC will be ditched? Valid question to a post from DFT, I questioned his opinion.

2 - So why did/is our economy grow/growing at a slower rate than that of the UK? Valid question to a post from DFT.

3 - How can it be nothing to so with Scotland if it's Scotland that's affecting it? Again another valid question.

How can you defend that?

Easily - as per my 3rd para!

Remember, I make no judgement on the validity of the opinions - neither his (unsubstantiated?) one, nor yours that included 1 example that countered his.

C

c1973

Thank you Foxholer.......I am out of here now as I find some of the 'robust' comments rude and bullying.

Genuine apologies if you feel any of my comments were bullying you. If that line was crossed then it wasn't my intention to do so.

That being said, you can come across as being opinionated (not saying that's bad btw) and in my experience folks like that can usually deal with a more robust debate. It has been (mostly) a good natured debate you have started with as much nonsense as there is well thought out posts, be a shame to bail out on your own thread.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Genuine apologies if you feel any of my comments were bullying you. If that line was crossed then it wasn't my intention to do so.

That being said, you can come across as being opinionated (not saying that's bad btw) and in my experience folks like that can usually deal with a more robust debate. It has been (mostly) a good natured debate you have started with as much nonsense as there is well thought out posts, be a shame to bail out on your own thread.

I think its just a case of...

teddy.jpg

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If you have a look back yourself on responses by a few to some posts made by myself and DfT (in particular) you should notice how some are rude in that they are dismissive, scornful and rather snidey. If you don't find any so be it - I'm not going to point you to any - you should be able to spot them quite easily yourself.

But hey - the world moves on and I'm not really that bothered - it was just a bit disappointing,

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't know. BT and Cameron just says it's better for the union - as well as Scotland.

BT are saying 'Scotland gets best of both worlds if Scotland votes NO' What's you question again - sorry...

I'm not sure that a 'vote NO for a 'best of both worlds' and keep things are they are' is something many folks down south are going to be completely happy with. Unless that is changes happen down south to bring England closer to Scotland in respect of tuition fees, prescriptions etc and the per head central government grant. But for as much as I can't see the Tories addressing the former (tuition fees etc) - I can see them looking to revise the central government (Westminster) grant to Holyrood - and I can;t see it getting revised upwards.

From 27th January I was thinking that down here in England following a NO, voters in England wouldn't be happy with the status quo on funding - to be told that this wasn't really an issue down here for most folks - well funnily enough it seems to be an issue now.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
- to be told that this wasn't really an issue down here for most folks - well funnily enough it seems to be an issue now.

Well if your mates down the pub said it wasn't going to be an issue they were pulling your plonker. This has always been an issue long before the Independence vote. The only thing the UK people want to see is fairness. If it is fair then the political class need to explain why.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well if your mates down the pub said it wasn't going to be an issue they were pulling your plonker. This has always been an issue long before the Independence vote. The only thing the UK people want to see is fairness. If it is fair then the political class need to explain why.

My mates in the pub and in the club were telling me it was an issue - some here didn't. So when BT were giving their 'best of both worlds' stuff if a NO - saying nothing would change all along I said that a NO would not give the status quo and the English electorate wouldn't stand for the current situation. They'd say You vote to stay in the UK then you get funded the same as the rest of the UK. And so it has come to pass. And all nice and messily tangled up with the English votes on English matters.

Going to be interesting seeing the government untangle what Cameron tangled at 7am on the 19th.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A £2.6 billion contract has secured 1,500 jobs at the Clyde naval base which is home to the UK's nuclear deterrent, the Defence Secretary (has) said

Hmmm - didn't appreciate that they were ever at risk. Was there ever a possibility that the government would stop maintenance work on the subs at Faslane? Don't think so. Expensive job support scheme though at £1m+ a throw.

AlexDarling

Club Champion
Visit site
A £2.6 billion contract has secured 1,500 jobs at the Clyde naval base which is home to the UK's nuclear deterrent, the Defence Secretary (has) said

Hmmm - didn't appreciate that they were ever at risk. Was there ever a possibility that the government would stop maintenance work on the subs at Faslane? Don't think so. Expensive job support scheme though at £1m+ a throw.

the govt policy is very clear about defence work only being carried out in this United Kingdom so I'm not sure why you think the above.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Well they'd certainly have been 'at risk' if the sub base had been chucked out of (an independent) Scotland!

And I would expect hardware would be the major costs in that contract, not the 1500 jobs.

Last edited:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Did you read any of this thread. The bit where iscot was going to chuck out the subs which would have resulted in the loss of jobs and future investment or are we going to see another flip flop post.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Did you read any of this thread. The bit where iscot was going to chuck out the subs which would have resulted in the loss of jobs and future investment or are we going to see another flip flop post.

Sorry - you've misunderstood what I posted.

The Tories were trumpeting yesterday that the jobs have been secured! But they have not been at risk since Scotland said NO. So they cannot have been 'secured' unless following the 19th September there was a residual risk that we are not aware of. The only residual risk would be that the whole shebang might have decamped to Devonport - but the risk of that was always miniscule; or they'd scrap Trident.

So please. All that has happened is that Westminster has declared how much it will cost to maintain the Trident submarine fleet at Faslane until 2020. The only thing that has actually been secured is the contract and profits that Babcocks get to do the work.