Scotland Debate

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry - you've misunderstood what I posted.

The Tories were trumpeting yesterday that the jobs have been secured! But they have not been at risk since Scotland said NO. So they cannot have been 'secured' unless following the 19th September there was a residual risk that we are not aware of. The only residual risk would be that the whole shebang might have decamped to Devonport - but the risk of that was always miniscule; or they'd scrap Trident.

You and I will never know if those jobs were at risk.

Perhaps the government are concerned that the noisey minority will pull the same stunt again and again. There was consideration for a move to Davenport, and many in Devon and Cornwall hoping for an increase in job opportunities. As for the scrapping of Trident, I would be all for it but as it would take our beloved leaders from all sides of the house of off the top table in the UN its not going to happen for a while.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

JamPal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would be interested to hear what your version of 'the wrong reasons' were.

The many lies told about the Scottish economy.

The many lies told about how much Scot's get per capita of the government's spending.

The many lies told to convince people they have no say.

Those wrong reasons perhaps?

JamPal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hopefully it will finish on Burns Night when we see promises being fulfilled.
I have my doubts though.

I hope they deliver on one promise. Equality for the English.

We should get our fair share of spending. and since the Scottish government is devolved Scots should have no say in equivalent English affairs.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I hope they deliver on one promise. Equality for the English.

We should get our fair share of spending. and since the Scottish government is devolved Scots should have no say in equivalent English affairs.

Quite agree that Scotland and England [and Wales and NI] should get their fair share of the common wealth of the UK.
As I have said we should turn the Barnett formula on it's head and allow Scotland to contribute it's fair share of it's wealth to the Westminster coffers.
I also agree that English MPs should only vote on English UK matters, provided of course that Scottish MPs can also only vote on Scottish UK matters.
If you had followed this thread you should be aware that I am all in favour of a separate English Parliament and a much reduced Westminster [or Preston] parliament
Until then we shall keep the status quo.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
And with the oil price slumping to less than $60 a barrel versus the White paper's worst case scenario of $92, and the North sea oil industry reportedly in crisis, I wonder if any yes voters are now breathing a sigh of relief?

Certainly the yes/no arguments of scaremongering vs over-optimism on the oil issue seem to have been categorically answered.....