Scorecard + rain?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it is raining that much then I will likely have my waterproof trousers on. I put the card in my back pocket and when in there it is dry. Problem comes when you come to fill in scores. I will try to protect the card but inevitably it will get a little damp. As someone has already pointed out, if it looks like being that bad take a second card and when the first gets too soggy bring out the second and transfer the info on to it. If both cards disintegrate before the end of the round, not happened to me yet, then I suspect it would be so bad that the klaxon would go and the course be closed.

There is no magic answer I'm afraid, it's just about making the best of a bad job.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Scorecard back pocket probably in trousers under waterproofs, mark every 2 holes, just be selective about where you mark it e.g. stand under a tree giving shelter. All fine but at worse take a spare card and transfer scores at end of the round.

RichA

Visit site
Scorecard back pocket probably in trousers under waterproofs, mark every 2 holes, just be selective about where you mark it e.g. stand under a tree giving shelter. All fine but at worse take a spare card and transfer scores at end of the round.
Seems like the most sensible option. Will be easier when there's somewhere dry and warm to sit around and relax with a beer after the round. By which point soggy cards won't be an issue anyway. ?

AAC

Visit site
I'm not sure that's any better in the rain - if you're wearing rain gloves you have to keep taking one off, and keeping the screen dry to enter the info is just as important as keeping a scorecard dry.

Is your course still in 1995? :LOL:

No, the club allows phones on the course, however I have no wish to be disturbed so my phone is left in the car, I play golf to relax not be bothered by unwanted calls, e mails and other dross.

sunshine

Visit site
No, the club allows phones on the course, however I have no wish to be disturbed so my phone is left in the car, I play golf to relax not be bothered by unwanted calls, e mails and other dross.

Here's a little known fact: you can set your phone to silent so you won't be disturbed by calls, and you don't need to open or respond to emails etc unless you want to. Also, your phone has an airplane mode that switches off calls, emails and other dross, leaving you free to use the app to record your scores.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Here's a little known fact: you can set your phone to silent so you won't be disturbed by calls, and you don't need to open or respond to emails etc unless you want to. Also, your phone has an airplane mode that switches off calls, emails and other dross, leaving you free to use the app to record your scores.
What.....

Is that a new thing?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Beat me to it, but yeah, I use Hole 19 golf app every round, and I have my phone on silent (all the time actually) so I'll only check texts and emails if I choose to. And nobody ever phones people anyway.

AAC

Visit site

I am fully conversant with all of the above, it doesn't change the fact that my personal preference is to leave the bloody phone in the car as I do every evening when I get home from work. :mad::D

sunshine

Visit site
Technology exists to help us, not act as a burden. We can all choose how much we use it, but I find it strange how some people fear technology.

The OP asked for ideas on keeping score in the rain... using a phone is the best solution I've seen on the thread so far (personally I've never used my phone to keep score).

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Beat me to it, but yeah, I use Hole 19 golf app every round, and I have my phone on silent (all the time actually) so I'll only check texts and emails if I choose to. And nobody ever phones people anyway.

Shouldnt have posted this - whats your usename? Im following you! :ROFLMAO:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
If its absolutely torrential I tend to only enter the scores every 3 or 4 holes, of course with some more senior members that may present a problem with their short term memory lol
Mark card every 3 or 4 holes - right, I must remember that one, seems like a great idea. Can you send me a reminder tomorrow morning to try this technique?
Now, I must practice remembering 3 or 4 numbers several times over...
No, I give up. Likelihood of mistake seems high.
Soggy card tomorrow then.
Wait a minute, I've thought of something. Take a spare card. Copy scores onto completely dry official card after round.
Send me a reminder to do this instead, please.

AAC

Visit site
Technology exists to help us, not act as a burden. We can all choose how much we use it, but I find it strange how some people fear technology.

The OP asked for ideas on keeping score in the rain... using a phone is the best solution I've seen on the thread so far (personally I've never used my phone to keep score).

It isn't a fear in my case, rather a general loathing, I use it (technology) when I have to, if there is a simpler option such as a scorecard & pencil (to mark a scorecard) then that is my preferred option, however each to their own.

RichA

Visit site
All good stuff. I'm going to experiment tomorrow with a large sandwich bag with card and pencil sealed inside. Clear plastic variety, not brown waxed paper.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mark card every 3 or 4 holes - right, I must remember that one, seems like a great idea. Can you send me a reminder tomorrow morning to try this technique?
Now, I must practice remembering 3 or 4 numbers several times over...
No, I give up. Likelihood of mistake seems high.
Soggy card tomorrow then.
Wait a minute, I've thought of something. Take a spare card. Copy scores onto completely dry official card after round.
Send me a reminder to do this instead, please.

Was that supposed to be witty? or just obnoxious? Failed on the former, but well done on the latter :rolleyes:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Was that supposed to be witty? or just obnoxious? Failed on the former, but well done on the latter :rolleyes:
Possibly both, because you were being ageist in a possibly witty or possibly obnoxious way, depending on how the reader interprets it, which is up to them, of course.
Your suggestion for marking every 3 or 4 holes is a good one. Your ageist remark is ill judged in my opinion.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We keep our own scores and I normally only fill in the card after a few holes making sure the wind and rain is at my back. At the same time confirming my markers score. I generally find it makes to the end.

For my own scores I reckon I could fill them in the clubhouse at the end of the round.

When it comes to phones, on the days of heavy rain it sits in the locker ensuring it does not get a soaking.