Scorecard + rain?

RichA

Visit site
With 2 competitions over the weekend and a damp weather forecast, I have a simple question that I can't think of an obvious, sensible answer to.
Are there any simple ways of preventing a piece of cheap, highly absorbent card from disintegrating, while keeping an accurate record of the scores after each hole?
I can't see how a scorecard holder, plastic bag, etc will prevent it getting messed up over the course of 4 hours in the rain.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
With 2 competitions over the weekend and a damp weather forecast, I have a simple question that I can't think of an obvious, sensible answer to.
Are there any simple ways of preventing a piece of cheap, highly absorbent card from disintegrating, while keeping an accurate record of the scores after each hole?
I can't see how a scorecard holder, plastic bag, etc will prevent it getting messed up over the course of 4 hours in the rain.

No magic answer from me. I just use a scorecard holder, an umbrella, and care not to touch it with wet fingers.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site

A scorecard holder does the job for me.

RichA

Visit site
No magic answer from me. I just use a scorecard holder, an umbrella, and care not to touch it with wet fingers.
I know. It seems obvious, but I don't currently have a trolley, so umbrella use results in constantly wet hands, whereas foregoing the umbrella results in constantly wet hands.
All I can think of is putting card and pencil in a clear plastic bag and manipulating them through the bag, which is bizarre but might work.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I know. It seems obvious, but I don't currently have a trolley, so umbrella use results in constantly wet hands, whereas foregoing the umbrella results in constantly wet hands.
All I can think of is putting card and pencil in a clear plastic bag and manipulating them through the bag, which is bizarre but might work.

Put a towel inside the canopy of tbe umbrella to keep it dry. Then dry your hands before marking the card.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site

Ah, no trolley would make it much harder. You'll need to grow a third arm to hold brolly at the same time as the pencil and card. If growing an extra arm is not an option, then you could enter the scores on a gps watch (if you have one with that facility) and transfer to the card back at the clubhouse. My TomTom allows that and it's very basic. Only room for one score but at least they're waterproof.

RichA

Visit site
Put a towel inside the canopy of tbe umbrella to keep it dry. Then dry your hands before marking the card.
But without trolley and brolly holder, where do I put the brolly between shots?
Stick it in the ground upside down and the towel gets wet.
Drop it handle first into a club well and your hands get soaked taking it out.
Put it on the ground right side up and it ends up 2 counties away.

Yes, this is inane, but we might solve an important golfing issue and it beats bickering about the other stuff. ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A scorecard holder usually does the job - my holder is a bit bigger than the card itself, which wasn't on purpose really but it does stop the corners getting damp as well. I also find in wet conditions it helps to write the scores in with a biro instead of a pencil if you can, as there's less chance of it getting washed out.

I don't think you need the umbrella really, if you kind of stoop forward and write quickly, your head & shoulders will stop it getting it totally drenched. And as I say, the biro will write better than a pencil if the card is a little bit damp in spots.

Edit: Two other ideas - 1. only write the scores down every two or three holes if you have a good enough memory, and 2. grab a second card that you keep in your bag as a back-up one that you can copy the scores to if the first card gets beyond saving.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
But without trolley and brolly holder, where do I put the brolly between shots?
Stick it in the ground upside down and the towel gets wet.
Drop it handle first into a club well and your hands get soaked taking it out.
Put it on the ground right side up and it ends up 2 counties away.

Yes, this is inane, but we might solve an important golfing issue and it beats bickering about the other stuff. ?
I've never had an umbrella holder for my trolley. And never really had a problem with wet cards.

Just fold it down and put it on the ground. If its not too windy just put it down. Or slid it between the legs of your bag facing the wind so it doesn't blow away.

Or keep a towel tucked under the hood of your bag and don't bother with the umbrella. They are generally more hassle than they are worth.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
This won't apply for tomorrow, but for future comps... If its at your home club, you could pick up a score card and laminate it and use a sharpie to write your scores in. You can reuse it, by scrubbing it clean with Cif.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just dont use a card and use whichever app your club uses to enter the score directly on your phone?

Are most people not doing that already?
I'm not sure that's any better in the rain - if you're wearing rain gloves you have to keep taking one off, and keeping the screen dry to enter the info is just as important as keeping a scorecard dry.

Errrr, NO !, no phone on the course
Is your course still in 1995? :LOL: