School dinner favourites

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes it was morning break...mini bottles of sliver top left out side by the caretaker. Some kids loved it, guzzling down any spares, Ugh!

That was me. I probably drank in the region of 2-3 pints of milk a day at school. All the spares were left outside of the boys entrance for any body to help themselves. I still drink more than a pint a day but it's mainly with a spoonful of coffee and with my cereals.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Yes it was morning break...mini bottles of sliver top left out side by the caretaker. Some kids loved it, guzzling down any spares, Ugh!

Primary school dinners were pretty forgettable apart from sometimes getting a Tottenham cake with pink custard for afters. ?

I bet that’s not served in a cup. ? don’t know what it is but am gonna Google it.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

Primary school dinners were pretty forgettable apart from sometimes getting a Tottenham cake with pink custard for afters. ?
Primary school in Yorkshire. Moring milk was third of pint bottles. Usually got one or two extra due to refuseniks. Loved the pink custard with some puddings - thought it was mainly a Yorks/Lancs thing as hardly anyone south of Nottingham that I have mentioned it to seems to know about it.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Primary school in Yorkshire. Moring milk was third of pint bottles. Usually got one or two extra due to refuseniks. Loved the pink custard with some puddings - thought it was mainly a Yorks/Lancs thing as hardly anyone south of Nottingham that I have mentioned it to seems to know about it.

Mid 70s Millwall...we was getting the pink stuff, but not often. Yellow custard or semolina was the norm.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I went to boarding school. Big fat Annie used to work in the mornings, she would cough all over her hands then put the bread rolls on the side plates. Everyone used to check the rolls before selecting one without any little wet bits on it :sick:

NearHull

Visit site
Early sixties, I attended a small Midlands town Grammar School that thought itself far above its actual standing. Often didn’t hand in my dinner money for the week and went to the very convenient bakers, opposite the main entrance, for take away ‘lunch’. A threepenny or sixpence (old money) bag of yesterday’s cakes provided calorie saturated sustenance and hyper energy. The shop next door sold single cigarettes which we smoked under the nearby canal bridge. But just to demonstrate that we weren’t total riffraff, we sometimes went to the park and played bowls at lunchtime.
By the way, it was crap education dominated by ex 2WW officers reliving their bullying power through the gown and cane.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a padbrat lucky to spend most of my school meals abroad. Best was when I was in Singapore and Malaya. Life was full of Malay, Chinese and Indian meals. Couldn’t believe the bland food that Britain served up in the 60’s.

NearHull

Visit site
As a padbrat lucky to spend most of my school meals abroad. Best was when I was in Singapore and Malaya. Life was full of Malay, Chinese and Indian meals. Couldn’t believe the bland food that Britain served up in the 60’s.
My daughter spent the vast majority of her education as a padbrat/scaliebrat and had a great time at school, particularly as her mum was the school cook for some of that time. Overseas Forces schools’ funding came out of the Military Budget and school food was provisioned through the airmans mess. We looked after our own! My wife recalls mincing fillets of steak for the kids. I am very proud to state that the children of overseas based Military personnel must have been the best fed kids of their era.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The ‘home made’ toffee sauce to accompany ice cream was unbelievable. Also, baked beans and chips were always the staple side/veg dish, available every day. I had them with everything. I’ve never really recognised the wholesome school dinners Jamie Oliver et al bang on about.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
looks like the tart we had that had cinnamon in the crusty top and stewed apple filling?

Nope. I think it's mainly a "Kentish" offering, made by whisking evaporated milk and adding brown sugar.
Sounds awful but is delicious. Very sweet and most schools down this way used to serve it with a slice of apple to be eaten afterwards to help get the sugar off our teeth!!
I make it for my kids today as a special treat, and they love it
????