School dinner favourites

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Although I loved all the puddings some of the main courses were rank especially the liver that seemed to have an elastic band running through it. Stew was also to be avoided as I am sure they put the cheapest cuts of meat they could find in it.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Although I loved all the puddings some of the main courses were rank especially the liver that seemed to have an elastic band running through it. Stew was also to be avoided as I am sure they put the cheapest cuts of meat they could find in it.
Yeah, seems like most of us remember the things we liked and blot the rest out. Even when the roast beef was good, if you got a chunky edge you might have had a bonus piece of string.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Lots of Jewish kids at my primary school. One of my Jewish pals really liked the roast pork...but couldnt have it. So on days when it was pork and not beef or chicken, he would look at my mum and with a big smile would ask to have the beef...my mum would ask if he was sure. He’d smile and say yes. Naughty boy.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sausage and mash was my fave with lots of gravy.
Pineapple upside down pudding with custard.
But lots of days like Tashy we went the loaf and chips.
Could hardly walk after one of them and a coke.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
My memory of school dinners at my Primary School was that they were quite awful and that you were forced to finish them. This sufficiently scared me to try and bunk off on days I knew a particular thing was on offer.

Sometimes I hid in the loos to avoid going in to eat them.... looking back, they can't have been "that bad" surely?

Secondary school provided a bread roll with lunch, sure more were thrown than eaten!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think I ever had a school dinner in my life, at least, I can't remember any. I always just remember taking a packed lunch. I think maybe you had the option of one or the other and my mum knowing I was a bit of a fussy eater as a kid just gave me a cheese sandwich and some Iced Gems every day. :LOL:

D

Deleted member 21258

Remember some kind of fried onions or were they baked onions in the oven and really liking them.

Child hoods memories something should not be revisited, as they are probably rank :D
Onion.jpg
Looked something like this

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Prompted by this thread I had my school dinner favourite this evening...
With a medley of roast veg rather than mash as it was in my school days...
Wholly satisfying :):)...

Another favourite, liver and onions, booked for next week...

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Cornflake tart, was always a great day when that was on the menu.
In case any of you are wondering what that might be. In Yorkshire it was a pastry base, thick set custard with cornflakes on top. Sometimes "poshed" up a bit with a few slices of banana or a strawberry. Really much tastier than that looks in words.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
In case any of you are wondering what that might be. In Yorkshire it was a pastry base, thick set custard with cornflakes on top. Sometimes "poshed" up a bit with a few slices of banana or a strawberry. Really much tastier than that looks in words.

Replace custard with jam in the Midlands...but custard poured over afterwards.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
They used to ruin the coronation chicken by putting big sultanas in it.
I used to love their custard but nearly everyone hated mutton stew floating in fat. [@1962]
Hmmm...my mum always had a thing for adding sultanas to her currys and coronation chicken - and an old Glasgow recipe I have has apple in the curry so maybe there was need for some sweetness in the curry to satisfy a scottish liking for sweet food? As in how we used to sprinkle sugar over lettuce...maybe so it wouldn’t feel like ‘rabbit food’. Or maybe a curry sauce was thought of as a chutney with added liquid?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just spoke to in laws about this, FIL is 80. He said he ate every dinner and would be the first in the queue for seconds. He said it was food and most days that was all he had.