Scams

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Because there are a billion people in India, and they are not all scammers. That's a very prejudiced viewpoint.

Most of the phone calls I get from there are clearly scams, my Indian friends that I play golf with (like I did today) dont ring me at 8.30 in the morning to tell me that my Amazon account has had a £600 charge on it and if it was me press #1 on the phone to talk to a security team !

The rest of the billion people dont generally phone me 🤣

Reactions: Val

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This one is doing the rounds, I had an automated call today saying I had 2 international wire transactions of £900 and £700 and to press 1 if they weren't me. I hung up.

Other one recent was a text to say my Lloyd's card had some unusual activity and to call 07.... (deleted it so can't recall number). I do t even have a Lloyd's account.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Might be an idea to keep this thread live. If you hear of one you can post it up.

Strangely, my other bank have sent an e mail today warning of the type of scam I got.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Any fraud alert call you get from any bank, tell them ‘thank you for calling, I call you back on the number I know’.
A real bank is totally fine with it, a scammer tries to keep you on that call.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
One thing to be mindful of is that scammers are so sophisticated these days that, if you have caller display, the number calling can be one which you will see on a legitimate bank card or website. That’s how careful you need to be these days.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Any fraud alert call you get from any bank, tell them ‘thank you for calling, I call you back on the number I know’.
A real bank is totally fine with it, a scammer tries to keep you on that call.
The other thing is, if possible, to call the bank using a different phone. The scammers can keep the line open, so although you may think you've rung the bank on the banks line, you may in fact be still talking to the scammers.