Scams

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just a heads up. I got a call yesterday, saying they were from my banks (named) fraud team and had I made a large purchase (gave details) recently on card number (gave last four digits). They were really convincing. But I was concerned they were on a mobile. They got cut off but called back immediately. They even sent a text which looked like it was from my bank. Giving details of card use and a OTP to use when I logged in. I didn't and hung up (wife was checking account). Very scary! They tried again this morning whilst I was at work. I hung up immediately. I have tried to report this to my bank. Bluddy impossible! (We now will be changing banks). Best I could do was to report on a website "Action Fraud".

BE VERY CAREFUL !!!!!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Just a heads up. I got a call yesterday, saying they were from my banks (named) fraud team and had I made a large purchase (gave details) recently on card number (gave last four digits). They were really convincing. But I was concerned they were on a mobile. They got cut off but called back immediately. They even sent a text which looked like it was from my bank. Giving details of card use and a OTP to use when I logged in. I didn't and hung up (wife was checking account). Very scary! They tried again this morning whilst I was at work. I hung up immediately. I have tried to report this to my bank. Bluddy impossible! (We now will be changing banks). Best I could do was to report on a website "Action Fraud".

BE VERY CAREFUL !!!!!

Action Fraud is generally the single point of contact when it comes to collating and coordinating fraud investigations, especially widespread national scams. I believe it falls under the umbrella of the City Of London police.

So whilst I’m surprised your bank are being less than helpful, reporting the matter to Action Fraud is actually pretty sensible advice.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why are you reporting to the bank, you were not defrauded

They know all about this sort of fraud and would really only get involved if you were actually defrauded.

Well done for spotting the scam, there are so many reports of people who fall for it.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why are you reporting to the bank, you were not defrauded

They know all about this sort of fraud and would really only get involved if you were actually defrauded.

Well done for spotting the scam, there are so many reports of people who fall for it.

Most banks actively encourage customers to notify them of attempted fraud scams. They won’t automatically know that a new scam cell has sprung up and is mimicking their brand.

D

Deleted member 15344

BE VERY CAREFUL !!!!!

Why report it to your bank ?

https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/report-scam

Action Fraud is who you report too

You only go to your bank if you have actually been defrauded

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why report it to your bank ?

https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/report-scam

Action Fraud is who you report too

You only go to your bank if you have actually been defrauded

As above, not entirely true. Of the 4 major banks that I have worked for all had positive action processes in place for customers to notify them of attempted scams.

This allows the bank to try and get in front of it.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We did some move of money on the app with our bank this week. To be fair the app said they'd need to check it was genuinely us doing it. So shortly afterwards we received a call from someone from India ! I refused to give any details and said that we'd ring them ourselves. We did that and he was apparently genuine, but how does a bank use an Indian call centre when 90% of the attempted scam phone calls I get come from India - you couldn't make it up!

D

Deleted member 15344

As above, not entirely true. Of the 4 major banks that I have worked for all had positive action processes in place for customers to notify them of attempted scams.

This allows the bank to try and get in front of it.

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/phishing-scams/report-scam-call

Latest actions recommend that report to bank if you believe or think that you have given out details etc

https://www.gov.uk/report-suspicious-emails-websites-phishing

Some banks like Lloyds and think BoS have a number and even then they also say to contact Action Fraud - all roads point to them

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/phishing-scams/report-scam-call

Latest actions recommend that report to bank if you believe or think that you have given out details etc

https://www.gov.uk/report-suspicious-emails-websites-phishing

Some banks like Lloyds and think BoS have a number and even then they also say to contact Action Fraud - all roads point to them

Well, I mean you googled it so that must be the absolute. The 15 years I spent working with these banks and designing some of these positive action processes must not have happened.

Those last 2 years with HSBC working in Cyber must have been a dream.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well, I mean you googled it so that must be the absolute. The 15 years I spent working with these banks and designing some of these positive action processes must not have happened.

Nothing to do with googling 🤷‍♂️

The exact process the in laws were told by their bank when having to deal with constant spam calls and texts they received due to an issue.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nothing to do with googling 🤷‍♂️

The exact process the in laws were told by their bank when having to deal with constant spam calls and texts they received due to an issue.

You do realise that NCSC is generic advice right and banks CAN do their own thing and have processes that allow customers to notify them so that banks can be made aware of new scam cells?

As I say, my 15 years of DIRECT experience in this must count for nothing due to your in-laws singular experience.

I am now standing corrected.

D

Deleted member 15344

You do realise that NCSC is generic advice right and banks CAN do their own thing and have processes that allow customers to notify them so that banks can be made aware of new scam cells?

As I say, my 15 years of DIRECT experience in this must count for nothing due to your in-laws singular experience.

I am now standing corrected.

My apologies must not have read where I stated that your experience was counting to nothing 🙄

But to be very clear - certainty wasn’t challenging or doubting your experience or knowledge on the subject.

If banks have their own processes then it seems the OP bank needs to inform him of them as it appears they don’t have one going by what he has posted.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Google experts 🤷‍♂️😂
Consider yourself educated by Liverpoolphil 🫤

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
My apologies must not have read where I stated that your experience was counting to nothing 🙄

But to be very clear - certainty wasn’t challenging or doubting your experience or knowledge on the subject.

If banks have their own processes then it seems the OP bank needs to inform him of them as it appears they don’t have one going by what he has posted.

Ah that get out... imply that someone is wrong by continuing to state a position and then state "who said"... "or no one said" clever...

His bank may have a process that isn't being followed. Not like that never happens.

Anyways, you're one of two on here that just can't ever back down so I am oot.

D

Deleted member 15344

Ah that get out... imply that someone is wrong by continuing to state a position and then state "who said"... "or no one said" clever...

His bank may have a process that isn't being followed. Not like that never happens.

Anyways, you're one of two on here that just can't ever back down so I am oot.

My apologies wasn’t intending to come across that way or implying that you were wrong 👍

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, I don't know if my bank is one that GreginFife has worked for - but certainly their advice is to report potential scams to them at the bank. And no, you can naff off, I'm not saying which bank. (But I dare say reporting it to Action Fraud as well is a fair idea).

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just a little update. I had a hell of a job contacting my bank about this. I went to town this morning and went into the branch, yeah we still have one. They blocked the card , and noticed other dodgey goings on, but could not issue another. Oh no, I had to ring up!!! I explained the difficulties I had had with this but never the less I was told it was the only way to do it. So much for your local branch then. So, when I got home the hell of trying to contact the right dept started all over again. The number I had been given was the same buddy one I had been trying to use. I tried the online chat and that useless too, its a bit.. Eventually though the bot gave up and a person gave me the right number to call. They were really good, and a new card is on its way. But Jesus h the scammers are clever. They make the purchase, then you get the text to confirm from your bank, by which time the scammer are calling you and say that the text is from the fraud team and to confirm the codes by clicking into them.
Be very careful.

sunshine

Visit site
We did that and he was apparently genuine, but how does a bank use an Indian call centre when 90% of the attempted scam phone calls I get come from India - you couldn't make it up!

Because there are a billion people in India, and they are not all scammers. That's a very prejudiced viewpoint.