Santa's been and left me my R11's!

Steve In Spain

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Santa is going to be displeased with you opening these and playing with them before the big day.

Show a bit of self control man :) :)

Hope they play as well as they look like they will from your description - we are all just jealeous of the weather over there!

P.S. I grabbed my new Underarmour trousers from my pressie pile the other day as it was freezing out :)

Self control? I bought them, they are mine so there!

Sorry about the weather though, I was playing in shorts yesterday, it was a little chilly when we got there, but we were in the mountain area, but as soon as we got going, no worries. It was 18*..and still 16* at 4.15 when we finished.

Steve In Spain

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Okay, here's the skinny on them from someone that has only been playing again for 7 months following a long, long lay off of around 7 to 8 years...and only before then, someone who'd only been playing for about 4 years.

When I got them out the box and compared 7's against my Burner Plus. The first thing I noticed is the R11's are lighter, not by much, but lighter. The top edge is thinner and the whole look is just so much better.

On the range, I was hitting my Burner 7 about 140-145 or so. I have walked the range and noted distances with the GPS, picked out targets like palm trees, bare grass areas and of course, the flags, but there are only 3 of them! I always use the same mat, so I know what distance it is to the, say, second palm tree....147 yards. The 2nd flag is 164 yards (150 metres)...and that is normally my 6 iron region.

I aimed at the second palm with the 7, knocked about 15 balls to that area and each time (except thrice when I knobbed it), the balls flew past the tree. I then took aim at the 2nd flag, was shocked to be JUST falling short of it...this is air time, not roll time.

Funnily enough, there wasn't too much of a difference in the PW, maybe 5 yards, but not as much as with the 7 and the 8.

The sound...I have read people like the sound, well I don't really care if it goes "Jingle bells in Arabic" to be honest with you....it's the feeling and the sweetness of the shot they produce and the height is amazing.

Yesterday, the true test at the mountain course of Font De Lllop near Alicante. Chilly start and on my second shot on the 1st I had 133 to middle of the green. This is an 8 for me....so I took the 8. Water behind the green....lost ball.

3rd hole, Par 3..nice little tester was this one, 154 to the front, 168 to the middle and 179 to the back. Flag was in the middle area. Normally a 6...but decided to use the 7. Missed the birdie putt of around 8 feet.

Personally, I found that I am a club longer with the R11's. They are not as bulky as my previous clubs, the balls flies off the face and the height, well.....seeing is believing.

I look forward to the warmer weather when the ball flies further out here!!

In the end...are they worth the money? They are to me. Confidence is a key to golfers, i set up with the club behind the ball and know I am going to hit it...only ONCE did I duff one and that was the 8 off of a Par 3...hit about 10 inches behind the ball....must keep my head down!

As a side issue, I have been struggling with putting...but yesterday tried the "claw" grip...wonderful!

All in all, I had a good day's golfing, hit some really sweet iron shots and only one 3 putt!

Steve In Spain

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree Gibbo....I now look forward to going to the range in the morning for a couple of baskets before I go to the beach with a bottle of "shampoo" for my Christmas lunch!

Next Wednesday will be fun, my favourite course in a stableford and my last chance to get to that 18 handicap I wanted my the year end.

Steve In Spain

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nice little write up Steve, I'm soooooo tempted.
Did you try anything else before you bought them?
I'm going to change mine in the spring and the R11's will defo be on the list to try.

Sadly out here in the area I live, we don't have much real chance to try them out. You can't even BUY R11'2 out here at the moment! I did a hell of a lot of reading reviews from the UK and the USA, listening and watching video's. I am a very big T/Made fan though and always used their clubs. I hummed and arrred a couple of times when people said that they were for the 'better player'...but in other reviews they said they were for any standard!

Would I buy them again or suggest them to me best mate? Yes, I would.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Just popped into the shed, and found a parcel with 12 Srixon Z Stars, courtesy of my GM subscription. Competely forgotten they were due, so a nice surprise.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I am thinking of getting a box of those for the summer out here..either those or the Tri-speed ones to try out.

They are really good balls, and you can often get a good deal Steve. I tend to use them more than the ad333's. Whenever I see a deal on them, £18 a dozen a few months ago, I buy some. Think I have got about 10 dozen, which should last me a few rounds.:whistle:

Steve In Spain

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Rich...just checked my golf ball drawer and I still have 14 sleeves of 333's and 11 sleeves of the Soft Feels....so that is 75 balls still to lose before I need to buy any others!

However, yes, if I see bargains come to the fore, I will order some. The problem I have living here is the shipping. AG do send stuff out here for a tenner, so I have to work out the costs from each site to see just which are cheapest as sometimes, those with the cheapest price are more expensive when you include the shipping!