Same shaft, different head - Irons

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
A big investment, pricewise, for new irons, without taking up a custom fit opportunity......bit of a gamble id say
Some would even say foolish

This is my point. Curious to know why is it foolish?

I have the same shaft in my MP32's hit them fine, get a flight I like and a shape that suits. What more is a fitting going to tell me other than different shafts that "may" suit.

My MP32's are standard length, loft and lie and, again, I hit them fine.

I'm essentailly keeping the same shaft and adding a different head, hence the OP.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Is it wrong to be happy with the shaft when buying new irons or should you get custom fit regardless?

Edit: I'm also getting the wedges too :whoo: and sticking with TT DG wedge flex, exactly the same as I have in my MP-T10's as, again, I'm happy with that shaft.

Problem is choosing between the T4 and the MP-R12 :mmm:

A big investment, pricewise, for new irons, without taking up a custom fit opportunity......bit of a gamble id say
Some would even say foolish
While custom fit would probably be beneficial, it is by no means essential for someone who has done some research and targeted a particular set/set-up, though now would be an appropriate time to do it. If going the Mizuno way, a trip to a Mizuno fitting centre would probably be the best 'compromise' if nearby.

Mizuno wedges have always been very good and I believe the decision is really one of looks. I prefer a straight edge rather than tear-drop, so I'd opt for the T4.

Enjoy the new toys.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
While custom fit would probably be beneficial, it is by no means essential for someone who has done some research and targeted a particular set/set-up, though now would be an appropriate time to do it. If going the Mizuno way, a trip to a Mizuno fitting centre would probably be the best 'compromise' if nearby.

Isn't the naitionl fitting centre in London? If so, too far for me Foxy.

Thing is it's not like I'm blindly doing it. The lightweight shafts I had in my previous TM sent the ball fiurther up then forward.

Tried my frinds MP series irons (67's I think) with S300 shafts. Ball flight was a little lower than what I get from the R300, but gave me very little help when I wasn't swinging well.

As I say. I find the R300 give me the flight, shape and feel I'm after. So I suppose the question is. Why change?

Mizuno wedges have always been very good and I believe the decision is really one of looks. I prefer a straight edge rather than tear-drop, so I'd opt for the T4.

Enjoy the new toys.

I've looked at both and like the look of both. I suppose it will come down to what I think on the day. Kind of leaning towars the R12, but the T4 is hard to ignore.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Isn't the naitionl fitting centre in London? If so, too far for me Foxy.

Thing is it's not like I'm blindly doing it. The lightweight shafts I had in my previous TM sent the ball fiurther up then forward.

Tried my frinds MP series irons (67's I think) with S300 shafts. Ball flight was a little lower than what I get from the R300, but gave me very little help when I wasn't swinging well.

As I say. I find the R300 give me the flight, shape and feel I'm after. So I suppose the question is. Why change?

Your research is more than most do - and seems pretty reasonable. Can't fault your logic - it's exactly the sort of thing I would have done.

National Fitting Centre is in Surrey - at Burhill - but there are Regional and Local ones too. Here's a link, though I do remember there being some 'shrinkage' a little while ago - maybe just Surrey/Berkshire area.
http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/store/fitting-centres-details.php
It may pay to phone them and check. T'internet is useful, but not always as current as it should be!

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Could well be foolish........??........dunno
But u are buying on a whim, on a guess, on your own opinion
If i was spending the money u are, id defo spend an hour with a fitter, and have it confirmed, u may well walk out with what YOU think u should be playing................but, better than u asking me the question...........why not u answer the question
WHY NOT GO CUSTOM FIT.........??
Can think of many reasons why u should
But very few why u are so reluctant, not to

Please enlighten

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I don't think it's that much of a gamble. There won't be a huge difference in flight between the heads and the shaft is a constant.
The 64's will probably give a tad more forgiveness but other than that it's almost replaceing 1 head with a similar performing one.

As has been said time and time again, and not putting down the custom fit process, but when you go for a fitting, you take the swing you have that day and that's what the fitter sees. If you've been playing a reasonable amount and you know and like the ball flight you get from a particular set up, just changing the head for a similar one doesn't strike me as much of a risk...

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Could well be foolish........??........dunno
But u are buying on a whim, on a guess, on your own opinion
If i was spending the money u are, id defo spend an hour with a fitter, and have it confirmed, u may well walk out with what YOU think u should be playing................but, better than u asking me the question...........why not u answer the question
WHY NOT GO CUSTOM FIT.........??
Can think of many reasons why u should
But very few why u are so reluctant, not to

Please enlighten

I'm not resistant at all to the idea of a fitting :thup:

I suppose what I'm saying is I'm happy with the R300 shaft. I gives me, as I've said, the kind of flight, shape and feel that I like.

If I'm happy with the shaft, how it feels and how it plays, why change it?

I'll be honest I've never been fit for a set of irons, the only club I've ever been fitted for is a putter, but in light of the above, what am I likely to get other than more shaft options?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is it wrong to be happy with the shaft when buying new irons or should you get custom fit regardless?

I'd still try out others if it were me. The worst that can happen is that it confirms your preference.

I've had 3 new sets of irons since I started playing again.
AP2 felt great with PX
Nike felt better with S300
Mizuno now, and PX were best again.

I actually went to the Nike fitting wanting PX, but for some reason they weren't as good in that head, and TTDG were better.

Jus' sayin'. :D

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Would you still say this Gary with the new irons being from the same manufacturer and the heads being similar?

Sorry, I don't understand the question.

But, if I were going for a fitting tomorrow I'd still want to try different shafts in different heads even though I think I know what I like.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sorry, I don't understand the question.

But, if I were going for a fitting tomorrow I'd still want to try different shafts in different heads even though I think I know what I like.

I edited the quote too much :mad:

I was trying to refer to you and how you felt different shaft felt better/worse in different iron sets, hence my previous post.

The cost of the Swing DNA and fitting process is £40 where I'm going, £25 of which is refunded with purchase of irons/clubs. I suppose for £15 it's worth it just to find out my stats as, well, I've never been fit and have no idea of my swing speed or other stats :mad:

GMcDowall

Visit site
Hey guys
first post so ease me in gently . . .
Custom fitting is the way forward but something like the swing DNA where they put a machine on the shaft and make you do 3 swings is rubbish, in my opinion.
to get fit, you need to be put on the track man machine, it's the most accurate for club fitting regarding launch,speeds etc if they are cheap enough i would say have a punt with the 63's.
are you buying them brand new ? They'll be cheaper with the 64's out now.
I'm not sure how much you're spending or what your budget is.
I recently got a set of kbs shafts fitted to my mp62 black nickels and got fitted via track man and its unreal the benefits of the custom shafts.
I now have a set of mp 64's which are less than a week old, but I got my kbs c-taper x130 shafts put in and got a set of dgr300 in my 62's.
i know if I went to the mizuno custom centre I would have walked out with a set of s300 or x100 shafts.
Which I tried and they were nothing like what I needed.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Mizuno fitting centres also have blue digestive biscuits with an 'M' on the back and coffee beans ground (some would say grain flow forged but not me!) in Japan!

That's got to be worth £15 to a 'Mizziephile'

;)

I think you're on the wind up myself :ears:

I'll go through the DNA process just to get my stats and see what's what.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
I knew it!!!!!

I was looking forward to some grain flow forged coffee too :smirk:

And here's me thinking the biscuits would have been the clincher lol!

Nice to see you took it in the spirit with which it was intended - just a little leg pull!

Of course, if you ever fancy trying out some PROPER forged clubs, you know where I am .................;)