Same shaft, different head - Irons

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm off for a fitting in a couple of weeks for some irons and wedges so ill have the answer then either way but I thought i'd pose the question for you equipment experts.

If you put the same shaft, say what I play DG R300, in:

A blade iron head

A muscle cavity head

A game improver head

And lastly...

A super game improver

Would you expect to see a difference in launch angle between the different heads?

Would you expect a massive difference between heads?

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm definitely not an expert, but wouldn't different heads (styles, weight, materials) alter the spec of the club such as swing weight (among others) in which case I'd say a different club head could alter the launch angle

T

thecraw

Absolutely. They will have different spin ratios, different launch etc etc. It won't be huge differences but there will be a difference in stats and figures.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
A blade usually has the centre of gravity designed a little higher up the club face, giving a lower trajectory. The real objective of a super-game improver head is to get the ball in the air and thus inspire confidence and will have a lower CoG. I was going to say, it will depend on the manufacturer, but no prizes for guessing who that will be..........

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Pretty much as I thought.

Based on the above.

Out of my 32's (Cut Muscle) and 63's (Muscle Cavity) which I'm looking at getting, again same R300 shaft, would you expect to launch higher?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
^
What these 2 say. Launch is all about CofG which will be higher in the blades than the Super GIs

Head weights will be the same - within a gram or 2 so swing weight won't be affected significantly.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would you expect a massive difference between heads?

not from a good manufacturer - that's why they adjust the lofts!

however, in practice there will be some in the hands of most golfers because different golfers atributes will get different results from different heads. in some hands these could be very large.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've been watching a few reviews by the much debated Mark Crossfield.

He seems to like them although they launch a little low.

That's fine by me as my 32's launch low(ish) anywho :whoo: as with my old R7's tended to be a bit on the high side.

I can get the 32's to fly higher if needed so I expect the same of the 63's.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
I've been watching a few reviews by the much debated Mark Crossfield.

He seems to like them although they launch a little low.

That's fine by me as my 32's launch low(ish) anywho :whoo: as with my old R7's tended to be a bit on the high side.

I can get the 32's to fly higher if needed so I expect the same of the 63's.

What happens if like so many on here you hit the JPX825 pure?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have you tried the 63s yet? What else have you tried to compare them to to ensure they are the best option for you? Or are you openly confessing to being a complete mizzy whore and hence they are the only option? ;)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Have you tried the 63s yet? What else have you tried to compare them to to ensure they are the best option for you? Or are you openly confessing to being a complete mizzy whore and hence they are the only option? ;)

Bit of both Steve :thup:

I've hit a friends MP62's and a second hand set of MP58's in a local AG.

Being honest I preferred the 62's over the 58's. Hence me looking towards the 63's.

The way I see it is, if I can hit the 32's well most of the time, it should be no "harder" to hit the 63's(?)

What happens if like so many on here you hit the JPX825 pure?

Too chunky and too much offset. I'm looking for something with a similar top line, offset, head size and sole to the 32's.

From what I've read the 63's are close enough to fit the bill while having a small cavity for the small amount of forgiveness I think will help.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bit of both Steve :thup:

I've hit a friends MP62's and a second hand set of MP58's in a local AG.

Being honest I preferred the 62's over the 58's. Hence me looking towards the 63's.

The way I see it is, if I can hit the 32's well most of the time, it should be no "harder" to hit the 63's(?)

Too chunky and too much offset. I'm looking for something with a similar top line, offset, head size and sole to the 32's.

From what I've read the 63's are close enough to fit the bill while having a small cavity for the small amount of forgiveness I think will help.

Hit anything that doesnt have Mizuno written on the back?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think someone has a spare set of those with S300's. :whistle:

RickG? :ears:

In all seriousness I'm going to pick the MP63's up Wednesday next week and I'm sticking with the same TT DG R300 shaft I have in my MP32's.

I get a good, penetrating flight and the shaft feels stable through the swing. No hook or losing it left like I'm over powering the shaft.

Is it wrong to be happy with the shaft when buying new irons or should you get custom fit regardless?

My MP32's are standard length and lie with R300 shafts. MP63's will be basically the same, just a different head, hence the OP.

Edit: I'm also getting the wedges too :whoo: and sticking with TT DG wedge flex, exactly the same as I have in my MP-T10's as, again, I'm happy with that shaft.

Problem is choosing between the T4 and the MP-R12 :mmm:

Last edited: