Same length clubs but ball speed much higher with lower irons

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
2 grams sounds pretty much near enough.

Wouldn’t make too much difference would it?
Wedge Swing Weights are traditionally different to - and a bit greater than - iron ones, but consistent within a 'wedge set'. They a rarely/not often hit full and are more 'finesse' clubs.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
No idea. I wouldn't actually want to change them. Why would you consider changing them?

I played with my friends ‘normal’ set of p790’s and they just felt better. I’ve just checked their specs and realised they are weighted very similar but the lie angles are different to my 1 L which I suppose would makes sense because of the shaft size but why would they be complete opposite?

The p790’s felt very nice to hit with and I’m just trying to work out some of the science behind what clubs would suit me and my swing.

75C9748F-3ADF-44E8-B05D-FBFA859B151A.jpegE8B5CD01-F22D-438E-BA41-034868DC25C8.png

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I played with my friends ‘normal’ set of p790’s and they just felt better. I’ve just checked their specs and realised they are weighted very similar but the lie angles are different to my 1 L which I suppose would makes sense because of the shaft size but why would they be complete opposite?

The p790’s felt very nice to hit with and I’m just trying to work out some of the science behind what clubs would suit me and my swing.

View attachment 41201View attachment 41202
Well, that's a completely different issue to the attributes of Single Length clubs!
Worth getting loft and lie of the Cobras checked though, but I'd expect them to be pretty much spot on. I had my Mizunos checked as part of a fitting exercise and the club I avoided during play was found to be way out! I became my favourite after adjustmen!

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Well, that's a completely different issue to the attributes of Single Length clubs!
Worth getting loft and lie of the Cobras checked though, but I'd expect them to be pretty much spot on. I had my Mizunos checked as part of a fitting exercise and the club I avoided during play was found to be way out! I became my favourite after adjustmen!

Would you know easy would it be to bend all my irons to the same lie angle as my SW ?

For eg I purchased mine from AG. Would this be something they are able to do?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Would you know easy would it be to bend all my irons to the same lie angle as my SW ?

For eg I purchased mine from AG. Would this be something they are able to do?
Better to get these checked through a Pro who has a Lot/Lie machine (plenty do) where you actually hit balls and the mark made by tape on the bottom of the club indicates whether a change is needed.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I’m struggling to understand why same length clubs would have different lie angles. What am I missing?
Wear and tear most likely, though the fitter who checked/adjusted my Mizzies stated that 1 or 2 clubs in a 'set' being out was quite common.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
I’m struggling to understand why same length clubs would have different lie angles. What am I missing?

I find it doesn’t make sense to me either.

I’ve hit thousands of balls over the past year to know my clubs and I like to think I’ve reached a point where I can tell something just doesn’t sit right, no pun intended.

I understand the lofts are different and as I head down my irons they will be harder to hit but Its often a miracle if I can get my 5i, 6i and 7i to go where I want it when every other iron is pretty consistent.

I’ve just done a quick google search and found I’m stuck with what I’ve got ?

“The Cobra ones are cast from 17-4 which is very difficult to bend for loft and lie fitting”

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I find it doesn’t make sense to me either.

I’ve hit thousands of balls over the past year to know my clubs and I like to think I’ve reached a point where I can tell something just doesn’t sit right, no pun intended.

I understand the lofts are different and as I head down my irons they will be harder to hit but Its often a miracle if I can get my 5i, 6i and 7i to go where I want it when every other iron is pretty consistent.

I’ve just done a quick google search and found I’m stuck with what I’ve got ?

“The Cobra ones are cast from 17-4 which is very difficult to bend for loft and lie fitting”

That's the thing with modern lofts, mid irons are actually the same lofts as long irons of old.

And Cobra one length are even stronger to make the concept work.

Ideally I like my lofts to be in 4 degree steps, with a 24 degree 3 iron to a 52 degree PW.
Those Cobra Connect clubs are around two or three clubs stronger.
The 22 degree 5 iron is 2.5 clubs stronger than I'd like to see a 3 iron.
The 24.5 degree 6 iron has about the same loft as I'd like to see on a 3 iron.
A 40 degree 7 iron is perfect for me.

There seems to be something amiss with a concept that requires the loft gap to be 2.5 degrees at the top of the set yet 6 degrees at the bottom of the set, but then I prefer old clubs. :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That's the thing with modern lofts, mid irons are actually the same lofts as long irons of old.

And Cobra one length are even stronger to make the concept work.

Ideally I like my lofts to be in 4 degree steps, with a 24 degree 3 iron to a 52 degree PW.
Those Cobra Connect clubs are around two or three clubs stronger.
The 22 degree 5 iron is 2.5 clubs stronger than I'd like to see a 3 iron.
The 24.5 degree 6 iron has about the same loft as I'd like to see on a 3 iron.
A 40 degree 7 iron is perfect for me.

There seems to be something amiss with a concept that requires the loft gap to be 2.5 degrees at the top of the set yet 6 degrees at the bottom of the set, but then I prefer old clubs. :)
As soon as the concept of single length is introduced, traditional concepts of loft gaps should be thrown out the window as they are no longer appropriate! Just look at the clubs as they are! The aim is to normalise gaps between clubs, so whatever achvieves that is correct! Trying to impose inappropriate/irrelevant concepts is daft!

Tinkerman

Visit site
I've got Cobra Forged Tec Black PW-5i. Iirc there are lie angle differences between the scoring clubs and long irons as Cobra found that players would swing the long irons harder than the scoring clubs. I believe the early versions they came out with had the same lie angles.
I use the same swing on all of them and they all go straight. I recommend seeing a pro who has a trackman so you can compare your PW swing stats with your 5i swing stats. Might find you're doing something differently unconsciously

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Not entirely related to one-length but something I found interesting anyway - on the Rick Shiels podcast his co-host, Guy, was saying that he had recently asked one of the major manufacturers whether it was really worth adjusting lie angles by one or two degrees to which the manufacturer said it absolutely was. He then did a bit more digging and found that some manufacturers have a 2 degree tolerance in their iron sets anyway, which begs the question as to how important can it really be to get fitted within 1 or 2 degrees if the manufacturers have that much of a tolerance anyway?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the questions I would ask is

Although the shafts are the same length are the kick points the same?

In a set of clubs with stepped shafts in this can be seen by how far the first step is from the hosel. The first step gets progressively closer to the head as the club gets more lofted.