Same comp, different days.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I was speaking to a secretary of a club near me the other day about membership.
I asked if they had many midweek comps and he said that they have a midweek medal every week and it runs from tues-fri.
I asked how the css could be calculated for the same comp over 4 different days and he said he wasnt sure?
I dont think it would influence my decision to join said club or not but I did find it a bit odd and couldnt really work out how it could be fair?
Anybody heard of this? Is it a common thing and if so how do they calculate css?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
CSS should be calculated for each day but I know of two local clubs(one since closed) that left all cards until the end of the week and then process in one go.
Not as it should happen but that's the way it is.
Problem arrives when weather conditions change dramatically over the week..
More common than it should be IMO..

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Last course I was a member of ran their midweek comps from mon to fri, they broke the rules and just calculated one CSS for the whole comp (all scores got entered as if played on the same day) as wasnt enough entrants every time for 5 separate CSS calcs. Worked well for the club and was excellent for me, used to get a lot more runners than just running on a tuesday afternoon for eg as other clubs may do and meant I got to play almost all the midweek comps as could always find a time to get a game in. As for fair, luck of the draw if you played on an easier or harder day, how I played was more of an impact on my score than the conditions. If youre a slave to CSS and how it is calculated and every rule being applied to the letter then it may be an issue for you...

The alternative would be that they dont actually calculate a CSS most days and the SSS is used. Is that better than one CSS for the whole week? Who knows!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
CSS should be calculated for each day but I know of two local clubs(one since closed) that left all cards until the end of the week and then process in one go.
Not as it should happen but that's the way it is.
Problem arrives when weather conditions change dramatically over the week..
More common than it should be IMO..

Nah can score high or low in sun or rain or wind :) never thought you'd be siding with CSS ;)

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
He said its calculated for all the days combined also saturday and sunday together for the weekend comps.
I guess it could be really unfair at times but would probably even itself out over the season.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
He said its calculated for all the days combined also saturday and sunday together for the weekend comps.
I guess it could be really unfair at times but would probably even itself out over the season.

unless you get hung up on it I expect you wont even care, just play your game on your day and let the system tell you if youve won or got a cut or the dreaded 0.1 back :)

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yeah it wouldnt make any difference to me to be fair
Just wondered if it was common or even allowed for official hcp purposes etc?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Nah can score high or low in sun or rain or wind :) never thought you'd be siding with CSS ;)
Wash your mouth out...:p
I'm always told CSS irons out variations in conditions....last week on a good scoring day - 25 points, yesterday in a stiff breeze..39.....
Yeah, CSS irons out variations:LOL:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wash your mouth out...:p
I'm always told CSS irons out variations in conditions....last week on a good scoring day - 25 points, yesterday in a stiff breeze..39.....
Yeah, CSS irons out variations:LOL:

you really are the CSS poster boy arent you :) (nice shooting yesterday, you just need a proper challenge imo)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
CONGU UHS
18.2 In the event of one round of a Qualifying Competition extending over more than one day, a separate Competition Scratch Score must be calculated for each day.

18.5 When the number of competitors in Categories 1, 2, 3 and 4 is five or fewer and when the calculated Competition Scratch Score is equal to, or less than the Standard Scratch Score the Competition Scratch Score shall be the same as the Standard Scratch Score.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
All of my club's monthly medals and/or Stablefords can be entered on Saturday or Sunday. I'm not an expert on calculating handicap, but I think the CSS is done separately for each day, because on occasions I have gone out on a Sunday, played about 4 or 5 shots over handicap, but not got the 0.1 because only about 7 players went out on the Sunday and none of them did very well.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
All of my club's monthly medals and/or Stablefords can be entered on Saturday or Sunday. I'm not an expert on calculating handicap, but I think the CSS is done separately for each day, because on occasions I have gone out on a Sunday, played about 4 or 5 shots over handicap, but not got the 0.1 because only about 7 players went out on the Sunday and none of them did very well.
It was probably a Reduction Only result.