Ryder cup & brexit

Teed Off

Visit site
Now that we're are no longer in Europe, will we still play the Ryder cup which is, after all, USA versus Europe!

D

Deleted member 18588

It is actually a match between teams representing the PGA Tour of America and the European Tour.

The UK's non-membership of the EU is totally irrelevant to the continued presence in the European team of UK players.

If this were not the case then Victor Hovland would also not be eligible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't think Brexit geographically moved the British Isles.

Europe may be a colloquialism for the EU, but the Ryder cup is a match between the continent of Europe and the USA, not the European Union.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Top trolling! As well you know, Europe is a continent, the European Union is an attempt to unify parts of the continent in a single political organisation. You can be in favour or against, that's up to you.

The Ryder Cup is European Tour v PGA of America. Nowt to do with EU - but they do try and stick their hooters in.

Above my desk is a big print of the team at Celtic Manor - each player has his national flag round his neck. No sign of their blue emblem in sight!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Haha I love threads like this, you get people taking offence at a bit of gallows humour. If the UK Players apply for a french/German/Irish passport would that fix things?

sunshine

Visit site
To be fair, the European team does use the EU flag for its logo. Since they adopted the EU flag I think the Ryder Cup team has only featured players from EU countries.

Time for a new logo!