rules question

Shaunmg

Head Pro
Visit site
In a major club competition, playing Stapleford format. I accidently teed off outside the tee markers.

The advice from my playing partners was. Play it again, 2 off the tee. I did this and asked for a question mark to be put by my score so I could clarify the rule in the club house. My score for that hole was 1 Stapleford point playing 2 off the tee.

I entered the club house and asked the captain, vice captain and a committee member collectively, what was the ruling. They all agreed 2 of the tee, and allowed me to sign and submit the card.

Were they correct? After going home I check up the rules, rule 11 give allows for re-taking without penalty in match play and 2 shot penalty for stroke play. But what about Stapleford? It is significant as my score of 40 put me in second place.

If I was given the wrong advice and taking into account ignorance of the rules is no excuse on my part. Then in light of the recent Padraig Harrington disqualification, am I guilty of signing an incorrect score and should I disqualified myself several days after the event even though the result has now accepted and posted

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its stableford and it is considered strokeplay anyway just using your net score to work out points, and surely a two shot penalty would mean three of the tee?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Rule 11 in a strokeplay event - which Stableford is, gives a 2 shot penalty and your are required to replay the shot correctly before the next teeing ground otherwise you are disqualified.

So you were playing 3 off the tee and if you signed for 1 point you signed a wrong score and should disqualify yourself completely

I cant't believe it that 3 club officials couldn't get that right - shame on them!

Sorry!

Chris

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Rule 34-1b

"In stroke play, a penalty must not be rescinded, modified or imposed after the competition has closed. A competition is closed when the result has been officially announced"

34-1b/1

Q
In stroke play, a competitor returned an incorrect score for a hole due to failure to include a penalty stroke. After the competition closed the error was discovered. Does Rule 34-1b allow imposition of a disqualification penalty for a breach of Rule 6-6d?
A
As stated in Rule 34-1b, the Committee should impose a penalty of disqualification if the competitor knew, before the competition closed, that he had incurred the penalty but intentionally or unintentionally failed to add the penalty to his score, but not if the competitor did not know he had incurred the penalty.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I entered the club house and asked the captain, vice captain and a committee member collectively, what was the ruling. They all agreed 2 of the tee, and allowed me to sign and submit the card.

Unbelievable. Didn't any of them think to look it up? Technically you will have signed for a wrong score and should be disqualified. You should DQ yourself now really and humiliate the officials by loudly pointing out that they gave you completely duff info :D

PS There's no "p" in stableford.

Edit: Sorry, missed Bob's post. Looks like you may be in the clear. I'd still cause a stink though!!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rule 34-1b

"In stroke play, a penalty must not be rescinded, modified or imposed after the competition has closed. A competition is closed when the result has been officially announced"

34-1b/1

Q
In stroke play, a competitor returned an incorrect score for a hole due to failure to include a penalty stroke. After the competition closed the error was discovered. Does Rule 34-1b allow imposition of a disqualification penalty for a breach of Rule 6-6d?
A
As stated in Rule 34-1b, the Committee should impose a penalty of disqualification if the competitor knew, before the competition closed, that he had incurred the penalty but intentionally or unintentionally failed to add the penalty to his score, but not if the competitor did not know he had incurred the penalty.

So much for Rule 6-1

"The player and his caddie are responsible for knowing the Rules. During a stipulated round, for any breach of a Rule by his caddie, the player incurs the applicable penalty."

The decision quoted by Bobmac suggests that sometimes you are better off not knowing the Rules. :D

Interesting one this though as you did know you had incurred a penalty (playing outside teeing ground) you just applied the wrong penalty.

:D :D

I'd suggest the Committee contact the R&A for a ruling.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Lesson to be learned from this............
The captain/vice captain etc etc may know very little of the rules.
Always, always ask your pro (if he/she is around)

They may not know ALL the answers but they will know how to find out.

Shaunmg

Head Pro
Visit site
Whatever the rights or wrongs, my letter with notice of my self disqualification has been sent to the committee, whom I understand meet tonight.

It's been said that it is unbelievable that three club officials gave me the wrong advice, maybe so, but what I found unbelievable was that my playing partners did not alert me to teeing up outside the tee markers. Especially as it was the 16th and I was in the mix for winning

Shaunmg

Head Pro
Visit site
No I really can't say that, I just think they were just as absent minded as me. In fact they felt bad about it. I was first on the tee, as it was my honour, it only came to light when the next player teed up.

like a lot of courses the groundsman uses half of the teeing area and alternates it to protect the turf. It had been in a different possition all week but he moved it over for the major comp to play off fresh ground. I was all hyped up on 35 points with 3 holes to play and just played from where the tee had been all week without checking