Rules Question

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Had a an incident a couple of weeks ago at an open and ive asked a few people and got few different answers.

Hit my 2nd shot into the green and the ball was hanging right on the lip so said to the two guys i was playing with i'll just tap that in.Still had my wedge in my hand so walked onto the green lifted the flag out and just tapped the ball in with the wedge.

One of them then says thats a 2 shot pen, you are not alowed to hold the flag.

The flag was not grounded or used as support.

One lot say yes penaulty but one shot not two and a cat 1 player and a pro say no penaulty unless you use the flag as support. only have the short rule book and cant see anything that relates to this in there.

so who is right?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are 2 decisions which are very often confused:
17-1/5 Holding Flagstick with One Hand and Putting with Other Hand
Q. A player holds the flagstick with one hand and holes a short putt, gripping the putter with his other hand. Is this permissible?
A. Yes, provided the flagstick has been removed from the hole and the ball therefore does not strike it. If the ball were to strike the flagstick, a breach of Rule 17-3a would occur.
14-3/9 Player Putts with One Hand and Steadies Himself with Club Held in Other Hand
Q. A player, while putting with one hand, uses another club to lean on and steady himself. Is the use of the club in this manner considered to be use of equipment in an unusual manner, contrary to Rule 14-3?
A. Yes.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
i know we can't choose what rules we want to play but come on....is this what is has to come to. what idiot would want to penalise a fellow competitor for holding a flag when it clearly is having no advantage on the shot. ruins the fun and good spirit if you ask me.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
i know we can't choose what rules we want to play but come on....is this what is has to come to. what idiot would want to penalise a fellow competitor for holding a flag when it clearly is having no advantage on the shot. ruins the fun and good spirit if you ask me.
Nail hit on head!
Protect us from idiots who have a flimsy grasp of the rules but insist on challenging with little or no knowledge of the rules involved in the situation.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it may have been a rule donkeys years ago that you couldnt hold the flag and putt out. I seem to remember that they did away with it many years ago too but its all just a blurry memory and may be total tosh. I wait to be corrected but feel sure its no penalty and whoever called you on it is a knobber.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm a little surprised at the people suggesting the bloke's out of order for trying to impose a penalty, assuming you all mean being petty about it regardless of whether the rule is correct or not, not that he was actually wrong about the rule?

If I'm right, where do you draw the line?

Apologies if I'm wrong.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm a little surprised at the people suggesting the bloke's out of order for trying to impose a penalty, assuming you all mean being petty about it regardless of whether the rule is correct or not, not that he was actually wrong about the rule?

If I'm right, where do you draw the line?

Apologies if I'm wrong.

By all means players should be encouraged to make a challenge when a breach of the rules occurs, but you must be very sure of your facts before challenging. I bet this wasn't the first time the guy had challenged on this issue, and I bet he never took the trouble to check his facts to make sure he was right.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
when it clearly is having no advantage on the shot.

Since when has that had much to do with the rules?

Gaining an advantage or not doesn't always get reflected in a penalty

This is sort of what I was trying to get at.

I got the impression people thought the guy was wrong to mention it even if the rule was true.

It looks like I misunderstood. :)

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the rule used to be that you couldn't hold the flag and putt out, but it has been changed, so perhaps the bloke just remembered the old rule.

Response from the Leith Society which is THE guru on rules and the history of rules:
"My research shows no penalty at least as far back as 1933, and no indication of any penalty prior to that."

Urban myth.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
only have the short rule book and cant see anything that relates to this in there.

Keep the rule book in your bag and if anyone challenges you, hand them the book and ask them to show you where the rule is.