Rules Question

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
only have the short rule book and cant see anything that relates to this in there.

Keep the rule book in your bag and if anyone challenges you, hand them the book and ask them to show you where the rule is.

OOyyyy, that's my idea :mad: :mad: ;)
And it works :)

I did have one in the bag until a few months ago, it got wet a few times and ended up a soggy lump that was unreadable

mmgp7sp

Visit site
I was using a triangular marker on the green at the weekend - one which I'd bought at a course I had played a while back - and was told by one of the fourball I could not use it as you are only supposed to use circular markers. Is this true?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
The book recommends that you use a circular object such as a coin but you could use a beer can if you wanted.

mmgp7sp

Visit site
I know this is probably a stupid question - so a recommendation means that you can use anything - even a fifty pence coin? So a triangular marker is ok?
The fella who mentioned this at the time really gets on my nerves, so I'd like to be able to prove him wrong next time we meet!

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
complete nonsense, marking is not even obligatory only advised, so how can a marker be defined

Obligatory if you are lifting the ball. You could use pretty much anything even your club head. Coins or similar is recommended due to it's profile. Those markers you sometimes see with spirit levels aren't allowed.

Want to annoy that guy, take a copy of the rules and be pedantic.

Page 86-87 Rule 20-1
The position of the ball must be marked before it is lifted under a Rule that requires it to be replaced.

The note on the rule says:
The position of a ball to be lifted should be marked by placing a ball-marker, a small coin or other similar object immediately behind the ball. If the ball-marker interferes with the play, stance or stroke of another player, it should be placed one or more clubhead-lengths to one side.

Now he'll probably pick up on the note section thinking he is right.

This is were you flick to Page 17. Understanding the words.

“should” (e.g. the marker should check the score) means the action is recommended but is not mandatory

Then close the book, put on sunglasses and yell "HEEEYYYYYYY" :cool:

cheezburga

Club Champion
Visit site
I know this is probably a stupid question - so a recommendation means that you can use anything - even a fifty pence coin? So a triangular marker is ok?
The fella who mentioned this at the time really gets on my nerves, so I'd like to be able to prove him wrong next time we meet!

Yep, you can pretty much use anything, as long as it accurately marks the position of the ball. So, a fifty pence coin is ok, a small triangular thing would be ok. A pencil end on would be ok but for example, a pencil sideways on wouldn't. Decision 20/1.16 covers it

Mark_Aged_42

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think it may have been a rule donkeys years ago that you couldnt hold the flag and putt out. I seem to remember that they did away with it many years ago too but its all just a blurry memory and may be total tosh.
Can people clarify, does it matter if the flagstick is touching the ground or not?

cheezburga

Club Champion
Visit site
I think it may have been a rule donkeys years ago that you couldnt hold the flag and putt out. I seem to remember that they did away with it many years ago too but its all just a blurry memory and may be total tosh.
Can people clarify, does it matter if the flagstick is touching the ground or not?

Strictly speaking, no; it doesn't matter. But if it does, you have to be wary of it being regarded as "assistance" (helping you balance, or that sort of thing) so best not to let it touch.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site

Stick a golf tee in the ground behind our ball before lifting it and see what he says. Alternatively a pitch repairer can be used. :D

backspin22

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm a little surprised at the people suggesting the bloke's out of order for trying to impose a penalty, assuming you all mean being petty about it regardless of whether the rule is correct or not, not that he was actually wrong about the rule?

If I'm right, where do you draw the line?

Apologies if I'm wrong.

By all means players should be encouraged to make a challenge when a breach of the rules occurs, but you must be very sure of your facts before challenging. I bet this wasn't the first time the guy had challenged on this issue, and I bet he never took the trouble to check his facts to make sure he was right.

Of course challenges should be made. It's only petty when made after the offence when the opportunity was there to stop an infringement. We should all be vigilant, especially if we can stop an offence from needlessly spoiling a round/score. The spirit of the advice is the important thing. Bending the rules is wrong, helping others to avoid breaking them is not.
BTW, putting while holding the flagstick is fine.
I hope nobody is going to say that stopping someone from breaking the rules constitutes unfair advice.