Rules - Declaring a ball lost

NervousShankaholic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Theoretical question although situation must happen a lot.
Par 3, i hit my tee shot and it takes one bounce and ends up in thick 'whins' (gorse bush).
I elect to hit a 'provisional ball' and put it to 10 inches.
Question is can i declare my first ball lost and not bother looking for it and accept a tap in 4 or do i have to run the risk of finding my original ball,try to get a lie under penalty or reload again and may have to settle for higher score than a 4.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
you can not look for it yes, but you cannot declare it lost if you were playing match play your opponent could look for it find it and you would have to play it

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you have declared a provisional, you have a choice.
Walk up and tap in for your 4 or go and look for your first ball.
If you OR YOUR OPPOSITION find it you must pick up your provisional and the first ball is in play.
If you decide to hole out but your opposition find your first ball before you do so, again, the first ball must be played and prov picked up.
You cannot just say, the first ball is lost, I'm playing the second.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you can just leave the ball and not bother looking for it. However if you playing partners or a spectator finds the ball within 5 minutes of them starting the search you must play the original ball. However if you get onto the green and tap in the put before the original ball is found then the provisional ball counts. I think this is correct stand corrected if it isn't though:eek:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You can't declare it lost. You don't have to look for it but if your partner thinks he's found it you can't refuse to identify it and if it yours it has to be played. Best to try and get up to the green and hole the provisional before anyone can find the first one

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes you can but dont declare it as a provisional ball. It will automatically be 3 off the tee and the original is then out of play because you played another without declaring it a provisional ball.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
you can not look for it yes, but you cannot declare it lost if you were playing match play your opponent could look for it find it and you would have to play it

This, although it isn't just matchplay when your opponent could look for and find your ball. There are certain situations that would make the original ball lost. Amongst the, not declaring the second tee shot a provisional, Playing a shot with you provisional from a point beyond where you believe the original would be and not finding the ball after 5 minutes of looking.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
as freddielong says

basically it becomes lost once 5 mins have passed without you finding it, or you play your provisional from a position nearer the hole ie you putt!

if your fellow competitor, or opponent, finds your ball before the above then you are required to identify it, and if it's yours the provisional ball is out of play.

NervousShankaholic

Medal Winner
Visit site
ok so scenario could be...find ball in the gorse, unable to get relief with 2 club lengths or line of sight with the pin due to OB or continuation of gorse on that side...so would discard provisional and walk back to the tee and be playing 3rd shot again...is this correct

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
ok so scenario could be...find ball in the gorse, unable to get relief with 2 club lengths or line of sight with the pin due to OB or continuation of gorse on that side...so would discard provisional and walk back to the tee and be playing 3rd shot again...is this correct

Perfectly OK. You can always go back to play your shot again from where it was played under the penalty of 1 stroke. But as you say you have to discard the provisional and hit another ball, this time your 3rd shot proper.

I still think best thing to do if you put your first in the middle of gorse is to then wait for everybody else to tee off and then play again from the tee. This is your 3rd shot just dont declare it a provisional.

Alternatively declare a provisional but then rush up to play it again before your opponent has had a chance to find it (if he is that way inclined) . Under matchplay he can ask you to replay your shot but that doesnt change things with the lost ball. Your original will be discarded because you've played your 4th shot with your provisional already (albeit out of turn).:whistle:

I think this is OK.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The provisional becomes the ball in play once it is lifted out of the hole by the player provided the original ball hasn't been found within the allowed 5 minutes for searching.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So what happens in match play if you rush down and tap in for your 4 and your opponent is 30 feet away but is looking for your ball..and then finds it after you've holed out out of turn?