RULE 3.2 when a hole is not played

wjemather

Visit site
Good show... careful with semantics though..

...so me an the wife nipping over the road for a fun round, no wish to keep score. Acceptable reason or not to submit score? If you think not, how can you then say you think folk should have a choice?

If the Authorities think more cultural change is needed, maybe I should go and offer my services....
If no-one is certifying (or even keeping) the score, then there would be no acceptable score to submit. I am still not seeing why anyone would want to actively avoid submitting their scores, subject to their round(s) meeting the acceptability requirements.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good show... careful with semantics though..

...so me an the wife nipping over the road for a fun round, no wish to keep score. Acceptable reason or not to submit score? If you think not, how can you then say you think folk should have a choice?

If the Authorities think more cultural change is needed, maybe I should go and offer my services....
I haven't seen anyone suggesting that all 'casual' scores should be returned. It being recommended that scores for rounds rounds played under the criteria relating to competitions (ie played to the RoG - no advice, no practice strokes, attested etc) should be returned as that is likely to give a better guide to a players competition or competitive performance.
If you don't want to do it, don't.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I haven't seen anyone suggesting that all 'casual' scores should be returned. It being recommended that scores for rounds rounds played under the criteria relating to competitions (ie played to the RoG - no advice, no practice strokes, attested etc) should be returned as that is likely to give a better guide to a players competition or competitive performance.
If you don't want to do it, don't.

Thank goodness for that. "should" is ok.....but that's where it stops. I hope

Post #12 the chap says

By the time the rules/guidance changes to "submit all rounds", I expect most people will be used to the idea that we no longer have an archaic "competition handicap system" but an "all golf handicap system" and will be doing it anyway (a significant number of our seniors already do).

So, this is just him flying a kite? I hope so. We don't want people being put off playing golf for FUN!! (perish the thought eh?) The Authorities are not that daft surely. :whistle:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am still not seeing why anyone would want to actively avoid submitting their scores, subject to their round(s) meeting the acceptability requirements.

I want a handicap that is based upon the white tees but in a lot of swindles I play in they want to play off the yellow tees. My belief is that the difference between the two courses is more than what the difference in course ratings is.

wjemather

Visit site
So, this is just him flying a kite? I hope so. We don't want people being put off playing golf for FUN!! (perish the thought eh?) The Authorities are not that daft surely. :whistle:
It's a reasonable expectation based on the WHS baseline, and how WHS has been adopted in many jurisdictions (in particular by the USGA); surely it is less realistic to expect (or even hope) that the current regional variances do not disappear over time. Per my earlier comments, I can only think that people who believe putting scores in detracts from the enjoyment (FUN) of playing golf take their handicaps way too seriously.

wjemather

Visit site
I want a handicap that is based upon the white tees but in a lot of swindles I play in they want to play off the yellow tees. My belief is that the difference between the two courses is more than what the difference in course ratings is.
Your handicap index should be the same regardless of which set of tees (or indeed course, subject to having the same advantage of course knowledge) you are submitting scores from. Are everyone's score differentials significantly different from each set of tees?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your handicap index should be the same regardless of which set of tees (or indeed course, subject to having the same advantage of course knowledge) you are submitting scores from. Are everyone's score differentials significantly different from each set of tees?

To me the yellows are a lot easier than the whites but the Course Rating is only 1.4 different and I feel that there is about a 3 shot difference between the two. When it was SSS there was a 2 shot difference. For the big hitters there is probably not a lot of between the two because the difference is mainly about yardage (all pars remain the same).

The only comparison really is with seniors because we play a mix of yellow tee comps and white tee comps whereas the club comps are always off white tees.
Yellow tees produce winners with scores well over 40 points, whites produce winners at about 40 points as a very rough estimate.

wjemather

Visit site
To me the yellows are a lot easier than the whites but the Course Rating is only 1.4 different and I feel that there is about a 3 shot difference between the two. When it was SSS there was a 2 shot difference. For the big hitters there is probably not a lot of between the two because the difference is mainly about yardage (all pars remain the same).

The only comparison really is with seniors because we play a mix of yellow tee comps and white tee comps whereas the club comps are always off white tees.
Yellow tees produce winners with scores well over 40 points, whites produce winners at about 40 points as a very rough estimate.
The Course Ratings only reflect the difficulty for the model scratch golfer (who is a relatively long hitter); any increased difficulty for the model bogey golfer (who is a relatively short hitter) , e.g. due to length, would be seen in the Slope Ratings. So as described, it sounds like they are probably correct.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Course Ratings only reflect the difficulty for the model scratch golfer (who is a relatively long hitter); any increased difficulty for the model bogey golfer (who is a relatively short hitter) , e.g. due to length, would be seen in the Slope Ratings. So as described, it sounds like they are probably correct.

I am not saying they are incorrect I know where the difference is relative to each hole e.g par on some holes is based upon difficulty rather then length, Just my original point for me on a personal basis there is about 3 shots difference hence my reasons for only wanting to submit scores from the white tees and therefore ending up with a H.I that is mainly based upon white tee scores (my original point).

The white tee par and the Course rating has a difference of just 0.2 so any scores would be truly reflective of my ability and with a H.I mainly based upon white tee scores gives a true reflection of my chances in a white tee comp which is what I mainly play in.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Back to the original posting. Without commenting on the specific situation as I don't know the person - I think that if you want to build a lower HI the scores added for holes not played after 10 mean you could have a very good back 9 score.

For example I get my final shot on the 13th hole so if I pick up after that point I get allocated 1 X Bogey + 4 X par to complete my score. I think the phrase "if I offered you that on the 14th tee would you accept?" may be considered.

Last edited: