A cople of questions on Acceptable Scores.

D-S

Visit site
What proof is there that this has happened? Or is this a case of "someone said they knew of someone who..."?:unsure:

I'm reluctant to accept such a definitive statement without something concrete. Otherwise it's a case of guilty until proven innocent and we all know there seems to be a lot of that going around these days! :(
Well we have had several cases of players playing with their names on the tee sheet, playing alongside other people but there cards have not been attested by the people alongside the on the tee sheet. On further investigation they have admitted that they have got their friend who wasn’t playing with them to attest their card on the App.
One of the cases was involving someone who attested a card on a local course here and admitting he was playing in a comp in Wales at the time.
We had an invitation day the other day (4BB) where a few visitors entered cards attested by people who weren’t in the comp.
These are real occurrences in the past three months and, following proper investigation, players have admitted their ‘mistake’ and the scores have been deleted.
Why on earth would anyone make this up?
By the way we have locally had an instance of a player submitting a GP score on a day when the course in question was closed - this was a case of both the player and the attester not being present!

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Same here, and on each occasion we have also made the “absent attester” aware that they have been party to or complicate in the wrongdoing, rule breaking, cheating (whatever you want to call it). The are equally culpable and have been embarrassed to have been found out.

Reactions: D-S

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
By the way we have locally had an instance of a player submitting a GP score on a day when the course in question was closed - this was a case of both the player and the attester not being present!
We had the same, I was curious when I saw the score submitted as the player has to be within a certain distance to the course to download the card and I couldn’t believe anyone would turn up, see the course was closed but still register on the App. It turned out that he lives within the “certain distance” from the course and was able to do everything from home!

NearHull

Visit site
Well we have had several cases of players playing with their names on the tee sheet, playing alongside other people but there cards have not been attested by the people alongside the on the tee sheet. On further investigation they have admitted that they have got their friend who wasn’t playing with them to attest their card on the App.
One of the cases was involving someone who attested a card on a local course here and admitting he was playing in a comp in Wales at the time.
We had an invitation day the other day (4BB) where a few visitors entered cards attested by people who weren’t in the comp.
These are real occurrences in the past three months and, following proper investigation, players have admitted their ‘mistake’ and the scores have been deleted.
Why on earth would anyone make this up?
Can you expand the bold bit, I am a bit confused. Did they enter a score into EG App when playing in pairs format?

D-S

Visit site
Can you expand the bold bit, I am a bit confused. Did they enter a score into EG App when playing in pairs format?
Yes. The 4BB was qualifying so I assume that had their 4BB score met the criteria to be acceptable for handicapping and had the GP scores not been deleted, the players would have contrived to have two scores on their record for the same round.
We had a similar case last year when a Mixuno Pairs event was played, of course at the time 4BB was not acceptable. I believe there were about 10 GP scores submitted that day.

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm not sure that it is accepted by a "Committee". We don't have one. This is a very new club and my first membership.
This is a general question for others?

Can such a new golf club, with no Committee, be affiliated? Just wondering what criteria is required for a club to become affiliated.

And, if the Club is not yet affiliated, what status do the handicaps of members have? Or is it even possible to have a handicap, without joining something like igolf?

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
This is a general question for others?

Can such a new golf club, with no Committee, be affiliated? Just wondering what criteria is required for a club to become affiliated.

And, if the Club is not yet affiliated, what status do the handicaps of members have? Or is it even possible to have a handicap, without joining something like igolf?
Under the Rules of Handicapping there has to be a Handicap Committee for affiliation. England Golf require this is to comprise a minimum of 3 members, (not the Pro, or Office Staff).
I doubt any Regional Golf Association is checking or monitoring this.
I wonder if the resort, hotel or destination type courses, which appear mostly Corporate in their approach and running of things, have such committees. I have a secondary membership at one of these places and there is no captain or committee in the traditional sense, everything is run by a ‘golf team’ but there are hundreds of members.
The short answer to your query I think would be, technically No, but no one is checking up on it.

Swango1980

Visit site
Under the Rules of Handicapping there has to be a Handicap Committee for affiliation. England Golf require this is to comprise a minimum of 3 members, (not the Pro, or Office Staff).
I doubt any Regional Golf Association is checking or monitoring this.
I wonder if the resort, hotel or destination type courses, which appear mostly Corporate in their approach and running of things, have such committees. I have a secondary membership at one of these places and there is no captain or committee in the traditional sense, everything is run by a ‘golf team’ but there are hundreds of members.
The short answer to your query I think would be, technically No, but no one is checking up on it.
I think you are right.

My old club effectively got rid of a "Committee" after we left, as the owner didn't like being questioned by people. One female member effectively took up the role of Lady captain, Comp Sec, Handicap Sec and treasurer. Although I understand she has stood down now.

Although, with such a new club, I was guessing there had to be some sort of application to become affiliated, and was wondering it the club has to at least demonstrate they meet the standards at that point. Obviously, after that, then I suspect there is not much checking that this is maintained, at least regularly.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I know of a case where two players were suspended for marking each others cards on the same day. Trouble is, they each entered a card for a different course that day. 🙄 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

People are manipulating the system and the EG app makes it easier to do this

Oh yes, much easier. (And not just EG, its WG and SG too) I wonder how much scrutiny of "non club" handicaps happens?

Anyone remember the theme tune of "Monk?" :)

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know of a case where two players were suspended for marking each others cards on the same day. Trouble is, they each entered a card for a different course that day. 🙄
Can you not play more than a single course on one day?

NearHull

Visit site
Yes. The 4BB was qualifying so I assume that had their 4BB score met the criteria to be acceptable for handicapping and had the GP scores not been deleted, the players would have contrived to have two scores on their record for the same round.
We had a similar case last year when a Mixuno Pairs event was played, of course at the time 4BB was not acceptable. I believe there were about 10 GP scores submitted that day.
I see, you meant the players were not in the comp. I misread it as the players were in the 4BB comp and entered GP scores but attested by players not in the comp.
I’m probably just adding to the confusion. Apologies.

D-S

Visit site
I see, you meant the players were not in the comp. I misread it as the players were in the 4BB comp and entered GP scores but attested by players not in the comp.
I’m probably just adding to the confusion. Apologies.
No, the players were in the comp (4BB) and had their GP cards attested in couple of cases by their playing partner, also in the comp - so both were in the wrong.
In the other cases the players were in the comp (4BB) but had their GP cards attested by people who were not at the course on the day - so again they were all in the wrong.