Royal Ascot GC

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I noticed that Royal Ascot was now showing up on my local GolfNow search for a very reasonable £20. I get the impression it's a pretty flat track but was wondering how the course conditions are likely to be this time of year? Appreciate any insights.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Find one of Homer's posts, his youtube channel is in his signature. He has posted plenty of videos on there so you can have a look.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Typically out of date responses I'm afraid and yes the back nine was frequently closed at times four or five years ago and very boggy but we invested a large chunk of the Red Bull Air Race money we received in improving the drainage throughout including new drainage ditches and improvements and repairs to the existing pipes.

As for the other poster comment about slow, it is usually four hours at the most for a competition medal round as a three ball and quicker in stableford and a social knock is normally about three and three quarters. It may be flat but we've held the Jamega tour three times and our own pro-am and not many professionals come and take it apart so it's a decent test. For £20 it's decent value especially when you compare it to say Mill Ride down the road where it'll be more a case of needing an ark rather than a canoe. Decent greens, still running true and around 9 on the stimp at the moment and a friendly welcome in the 19th and I don't think there's many clubs your get as good a deal

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Mill Ride was also on my radar, only time I played it (last winter) it was totally frozen, which helped me on one of the par 3's over water!

Mate of mine has just rejoined us from Mill Ride and is very critical of the current condition of the course and it has been poor for a while apparently To be honest for £20 even if you don't think my course is that great, it's not going to break the bank to play a private club. I know a municiple (Downshire) where it's £19.05 for winter rates (and it's another course that struggle in the wet and their 14th has been vandalised!)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
It's pretty flat and the going is a bit slow.

As for the other poster comment about slow, it is usually four hours at the most for a competition medal round as a three ball and quicker in stableford and a social knock is normally about three and three quarters. It may be flat but we've held the Jamega tour three times and our own pro-am and not many professionals come and take it apart so it's a decent test.

Flat? Going a bit slow? No chance there a racecourse gag or two in there? :confused:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mate of mine has just rejoined us from Mill Ride and is very critical of the current condition of the course and it has been poor for a while apparently To be honest for £20 even if you don't think my course is that great, it's not going to break the bank to play a private club. I know a municiple (Downshire) where it's £19.05 for winter rates (and it's another course that struggle in the wet and their 14th has been vandalised!)

I quite liked Mill Ride when I played it in the summer. Decent condition.

Not really the type of course I like, I would say it's in the modern, American style category. I prefer narrow fairways with trees etc.

However, for what it is, I thought it was decent, if that's your thing. Surprised to hear your friend thought it was in poor condition.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Homer walks into the Club, the barman says ‘why the long face’ 😜