Rory doesn’t care? Tiger finished?

D

Deleted member 15344

He's been striping the driver on the range from all reports. Only a matter of time before he transfers that onto the golf course. You really think he's not going to have 1 week where he drives it well? If he does, he wins given the way the rest of his game is shaping up.

Woods has always had issues with driving and even more so over the latter years - what he does on the range is irrelevant- there is no rough , no hazards , no OOB , no need to find the fairway so he can hit it with freedom. As soon as he gets on the course you can tell he is going to throw bad drives in. His short game is keeping him going at the moment - what happens when that has a bad day - I think he is playing as best as he can right now and it’s not good enough to win and I think that’s what we will see for the rest of the season.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't agree. He's going to have at least 1 good week with the driver and I don't see any way that he doesn't win this season. I guess we'll wait and see.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
How is it factually incorrect when someone has already stated they switched off ? And he won’t be the only one - there are lots of viewers who want to watch all the players not just Woods and if the coverage continues to be saturated then people will switch off and you will be left with people who just want to watch Woods - do people really prefer watching a player walking to a tee or walking inbetween practise areas when Golf is going on. People including myself pay good money to watch the Sky not to watch the Tiger Woods show and it’s turning into the Tiger Woods show - even yesterday once he finished they showed repeats again of his shots whilst the golf was still going on. It’s everything the coverage for me and I suspect many others. The sooner he goes the better for me - then can just sit back and enjoy all the other golfers like we have done for the past 2 years.

And someone who drives it as wildy as he does won’t win again - regardless of what the course is - he knew Bay Hill off the back of his hand and again it was his driving - he hit two of the worst drives seen for a long time and got away with many others - won’t get away with those at either of the Opens were the rough will punish people who can’t find a fairway. I can see him missing cuts at both ( hopefully )

That's a shame, its not Woods fault the tv companies show him, but you wish him poor play and retirement, you might want to step back a bit if it affects you that much but I doubt you will

I wonder how much golf would even be on sky TV if Tiger had never been

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't agree. He's going to have at least 1 good week with the driver and I don't see any way that he doesn't win this season. I guess we'll wait and see.

LP won’t see - he’ll be switching off soon until Tiger hangs up the clubs

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great to see Tiger get another tournament under his belt, looks like he's slowly but surely getting it together,it's only been a matter of months and 5 outings so I'm sure there's more in the tank.

Will he get back to his best? Who knows.. but I'm enjoying the trip in the meantime and enjoying watching golf again.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Woods has always had issues with driving and even more so over the latter years - what he does on the range is irrelevant- there is no rough , no hazards , no OOB , no need to find the fairway so he can hit it with freedom. As soon as he gets on the course you can tell he is going to throw bad drives in. His short game is keeping him going at the moment - what happens when that has a bad day - I think he is playing as best as he can right now and it’s not good enough to win and I think that’s what we will see for the rest of the season.

Ok, let's flip that 180.. what happens when he has a good day with his driving? So great driving and fantastic short game?
Your clear hatred of him is blinding you to the possibility that the opposite of what you wish for will happen.
I really don't know why you despise him so much, but I would never let someone who I didn't like and have never met (Piers Morgan for example) get under my skin so much, it's not healthy!

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
How is it factually incorrect when someone has already stated they switched off ? And he won’t be the only one - there are lots of viewers who want to watch all the players not just Woods and if the coverage continues to be saturated then people will switch off and you will be left with people who just want to watch Woods - do people really prefer watching a player walking to a tee or walking inbetween practise areas when Golf is going on. People including myself pay good money to watch the Sky not to watch the Tiger Woods show and it’s turning into the Tiger Woods show - even yesterday once he finished they showed repeats again of his shots whilst the golf was still going on. It’s everything the coverage for me and I suspect many others. The sooner he goes the better for me - then can just sit back and enjoy all the other golfers like we have done for the past 2 years.

And someone who drives it as wildy as he does won’t win again - regardless of what the course is - he knew Bay Hill off the back of his hand and again it was his driving - he hit two of the worst drives seen for a long time and got away with many others - won’t get away with those at either of the Opens were the rough will punish people who can’t find a fairway. I can see him missing cuts at both ( hopefully )

You accept that you're in a massive minority though right? You're massively, massively wrong if you think your views represent anything close to what the average Sports Pay-TV subscriber wants, which ultimately drives the coverage. Do you think they care if it turns off 2 avid golf fans, if it brings in casual, major watching golf fans and general sports fans in as viewers? There's nothing wrong having a minority opinion, but accept you aren't going to get what you want rather than bleat on about it

How can you honestly say that someone who finished 1 shot back last week, plus had a put to tie the lead on back 9 Sunday this week won't win again with such authority? You were (rightly) critical of those who said similar things recently about Rory and yet you are then guilty of the same nonsense just through your dislike for an individual, can you not see the hypocrisy there?

And, yes, he knows Bay Hill like the back of his hand too and managed to contend which perfectly illustrates my point - thanks. He can get round Shinnecock and Carnoustie without hitting driver (but I expect he'll have it sorted by then anyhow) and his long iron play, short game and putting are easily good enough to contend in any event. Outside of the current Top 7 his best golf matches up to anyone right now so it's more than likely he'll win at some point.

D

Deleted member 15344

Ok, let's flip that 180.. what happens when he has a good day with his driving? So great driving and fantastic short game?
Your clear hatred of him is blinding you to the possibility that the opposite of what you wish for will happen.
I really don't know why you despise him so much, but I would never let someone who I didn't like and have never met (Piers Morgan for example) get under my skin so much, it's not healthy!

I don’t hate many people and most certainly don’t hate Woods - people throw words like hate and hatred around far too easily. I’m not a fan of him - simple as that and it based on watching him strop , spit and throw his club around the course over the last 20 years but that doesn’t mean I “hate” him - I don’t like the media coverage which becomes wall to wall as I don’t buy sky to watch just Tiger Woods

And what “IF” ( highlight the crucial word ) he has a good day driving and short game is good then he may challenge but I think there will also be someone playing better than him now - but I think it’s very unlikely that he has a good enough driving day to have him win a Comp.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
And what “IF” ( highlight the crucial word ) he has a good day driving and short game is good then he may challenge but I think there will also be someone playing better than him now - but I think it’s very unlikely that he has a good enough driving day to have him win a Comp.

He came 2nd last week by 1 shot, he was contending after 15 holes on Sunday this week. How have you come to the conclusion that it is "very unlikely" that he wins a tournament this year? Your anti-Woods bias is hilarious, if someone was saying the same about Rory you'd be going off on one.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great to see Tiger get another tournament under his belt, looks like he's slowly but surely getting it together,it's only been a matter of months and 5 outings so I'm sure there's more in the tank.

Will he get back to his best? Who knows.. but I'm enjoying the trip in the meantime and enjoying watching golf again.

Another solid performance and Woods knows his driving is the weak link. It's not a new problem. Woods is getting better and stronger and yes it was a disappointing finish but he'll be back and can't wait to see him at the Masters. It's clearly great for the TV companies and the advertisers and figures are on the rise with the "Woods effect" and if he continues to play well and be in contention each Sunday then it'll continue. Bigger crowds, more viewers.

As for McIlroy, it was a commanding and dominating performance and long overdue. September 16 so eighteen months is far too long for a player of his calibre no to have a win under his belt. He's a streaky player and if he's on a role now and the way he's driving he could be the one to beat at Augusta. It was a fantastic nights viewing

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
How is it factually incorrect when someone has already stated they switched off ? ...

That was explained in the next sentence - Valspar being the 'most watched since 2013...'!

Do you mean like Speith's particularly wayward one at last year's Open?

There's certainly a lot of coverage of Tiger -to the detriment of that of other competitors. But that's only to be expected, given the actual amount of interest in his return! I, for one, am hopeful that he can return to being really competitive - which he almost was until late in the round, even after that wild drive on! Three birdies in four holes, before another wild drive halted his 'move'! It makes for great TV seeing how others react to his presence - and to the crowd noise whenever he makes a move! Rory's move last night was the same btw!

At least 'following' Tiger so much, coverage is much more than simply a series of flashes of various players making (or not) putts! That's been MY biggest criticism of PGA coverage in the past!

Last edited:

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t hate many people and most certainly don’t hate Woods - people throw words like hate and hatred around far too easily. I’m not a fan of him - simple as that and it based on watching him strop , spit and throw his club around the course over the last 20 years but that doesn’t mean I “hate” him - I don’t like the media coverage which becomes wall to wall as I don’t buy sky to watch just Tiger Woods

Fair enough, but you are very vocal about him and you make it easy to put words into your mouth. Apologies, shouldn't be doing that.
As for the 'what if', well I think his rate of improvement, better disposition and past experience will be more like a 'when' imo.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

This is just how I feel about Tiger - and I hate no-body - and btw - like @LP says hate is a dangerous emotion for someone to hold - so best to not hate anyone :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
tiger is back a wet weekend. driving poorly and still somewhat in the mix.

certain he will win again.

He's going to have to get over his 'driver thing'. Was playing dead steady using irons hole after hole yesterday - and then on 16th - a par 5 he can easy reach in two with maybe a 3 wood off the tee maybe even a long iron - he takes out the driver to go for it because he feels he can still win - which he could have (though as the commentary said - he'd have had to shoot a 1 to beat Rory) - but kaboom!! End of. Maybe for the time being Tiger has to accept that he can't play Tiger Catch-Up in quite the way he used to.

If he is in the lead or up there close (couple of shot) then he can win I think - but I'm not so sure he is gong to be able to blast his way through a field from way behind in the last round to win.

Last edited:

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
tiger is back a wet weekend. driving poorly and still somewhat in the mix.

certain he will win again.

Agreed.
I had completely written him off in the last year, but the progress he has made is unbelievable when you look at where his game was when he first came back, for example his chipping and pitching was awful and look at it now!

I am not surprised he struggled towards the end with it being his first time in contention for a long time.

I do think he will win at least twice this season, and top 5 in the Masters, but wouldn't be surprised if he goes out and wins it!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
This is just how I feel about Tiger - and I hate no-body - and btw - like @LP says hate is a dangerous emotion for someone to hold - so best to not hate anyone :)

I don't hate Tiger or even dislike him. I'm quite happy he's back in amongst the business end challengers. But I hated the media frenzy that surrounded him in his pomp which may have come across as hating him but it isn't.

I know it's not Tiger's fault but it is so infuriating, it was like when Schumacher was at the top at F1 the camera would just watch him leading at the front, doing nothing but going around the track to win, whist there was an epic battle between 4th and 5th that get's no coverage. Likewise with Woods the media will concentrate on him when he's not necessarily doing anything special to the detriment of other good golf being played.

For those that say it's what the public want, because it the viewers go up, I would argue that's spurious reasoning. Yes they may be tuning in to see Tiger, that doesn't necessarily mean that they want to watch wall to wall coverage of him walking to the tee or in the practice bunker.

Give him the same coverage any of the other top golfers get, that's plenty to keep Tiger fans happy without annoying golf fans in the process.

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’m not a fan of him - simple as that and it based on watching him strop , spit and throw his club around the course over the last 20 years but that doesn’t mean I “hate” him - I don’t like the media coverage which becomes wall to wall as I don’t buy sky to watch just

Wishes this guy for missed cuts and early retirement but shows compassion for somebody that spits in a little girls face. For some reason, I believe you do hate the guy.

You know exactly what type of coverage every time Tiger tee's it up, and yet you still tune in. Is it extreme old age or memory of a goldfish?

2018 season sure will be exciting though....:thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
He's going to have to get over his 'driver thing'. Was playing dead steady using irons hole after hole yesterday - and then on 16th - a par 5 he can easy reach in two with maybe a 3 wood off the tee maybe even a long iron - he takes out the driver to go for it because he feels he can still win - which he could have (though as the commentary said - he'd have had to shoot a 1 to beat Rory) - but kaboom!! End of. Maybe for the time being Tiger has to accept that he can't play Tiger Catch-Up in quite the way he used to.

While the Drive was certainly wayward (and did it cost him a penalty?), it was an uncharacteristically poor chip that cost him his Par. Though it was a hole where he'd be hoping/expecting to score better than that!

I'm pretty sure he knows where his weakness lies - and he'll be making every effort to correct that!

I did see a stat on the screen (part way through his last round) that I'm not sure I can believe! 52 of 52 putts 9ft or under made! And I can't remember seeing him miss any (many of which were decent length) subsequently! That's certainly a stat that augers well for Augusta!

D

Deleted member 16999

People come on here and moan about Sky showing boring US PGA golf week after week, now it’s boring because Tigers back, would it of been exciting if the BBC had it on or is it like we’ve told time and time again Sky are taking the host broadcasters feed, and in the US Tiger is news.
If you don’t like it don’t watch it.

PS. It aint going to change anytime soon unless Tiger gets injured or isn’t playing in the event.