Rory doesn’t care? Tiger finished?

D

Deleted member 15344

I believe that Woods has found his level within the tour - he will bounce in around the top 25 maybe creeping up but I don’t think he will win a tournament because of one thing - his tee shots , especially with the driver , it’s shocking and it’s the one thing that seems to have got worse. And I don’t see it improving enough for him to challenge . Even yesterday when he got close I didn’t feel he was actually going to go on and win.

And it seems some a little bitter about a Brit winning - seems strange when I expect the reaction to Woods winning would be unbearable.

And the coverage of Woods yesterday was over the top - at one stage Rose had a birdie putt and they cut to Woods walking from the green to a tee ! They then showed his shots on that hole from the previous days. Even earlier in the coverage whilst Golf was going on they showed him walking from range to putting green and then showed him getting his picture taken. It needs to die down - show the golf and stop it being the Tiger Woods show because people will turn off

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I believe that Woods has found his level within the tour - he will bounce in around the top 25 maybe creeping up but I don’t think he will win a tournament because of one thing - his tee shots , especially with the driver , it’s shocking and it’s the one thing that seems to have got worse. And I don’t see it improving enough for him to challenge . Even yesterday when he got close I didn’t feel he was actually going to go on and win.

And it seems some a little bitter about a Brit winning - seems strange when I expect the reaction to Woods winning would be unbearable.

And the coverage of Woods yesterday was over the top - at one stage Rose had a birdie putt and they cut to Woods walking from the green to a tee ! They then showed his shots on that hole from the previous days. Even earlier in the coverage whilst Golf was going on they showed him walking from range to putting green and then showed him getting his picture taken. It needs to die down - show the golf and stop it being the Tiger Woods show because people will turn off

You're clearly not a fan of Woods, and entitled to your own opinion. I just can't quite get my head round the logic of a player who's contended in the last two events, and by your own admission expect to bounce around top 25, being so unlikely to win again in your mind. We know Tiger can put together a run of birdies so one good week over the next few years is surely more likely than not? Recent courses have definitely helped with less use of the driver but they also penalised more when you did take it. I can see a number of other courses where he can get away with a few bad drives.

On TV viewing there was obviously a fair bit on Tiger but at no point did I feel I missed Rory's charge, DeChambeau fightback and eagle or even Stenson or Rose not quite getting it together. Thought it was an excellent tournament and good coverage as usual.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

I did and went to bed.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure I've seen a better round or final 9 holes than what I saw from Rory yesterday for a long time. He was so up for it, it was so good to see. He looked relaxed like he used to be when he was on form and his short game and putting was out of this world at times.

Tiger did fantastically well. Like someone else says I think he'll be in contention some weeks as he has the last 2 and miss the cut the next. As long as he's playing and fit that's all that matter's really but he does look in good health, strong and playing very well considering.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You're clearly not a fan of Woods, and entitled to your own opinion. I just can't quite get my head round the logic of a player who's contended in the last two events, and by your own admission expect to bounce around top 25, being so unlikely to win again in your mind. We know Tiger can put together a run of birdies so one good week over the next few years is surely more likely than not? Recent courses have definitely helped with less use of the driver but they also penalised more when you did take it. I can see a number of other courses where he can get away with a few bad drives.

On TV viewing there was obviously a fair bit on Tiger but at no point did I feel I missed Rory's charge, DeChambeau fightback and eagle or even Stenson or Rose not quite getting it together. Thought it was an excellent tournament and good coverage as usual.

Tiger finished 8 off the lead and started 5 off the lead. I wouldn't call that contending.

I agree that TV coverage was balanced.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Going into the back nine Tiger was only one off the lead so I'd consider that contending, but ultimately there was no answer to McIlroy's birdie blitz.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tiger finished 8 off the lead and started 5 off the lead. I wouldn't call that contending.

I agree that TV coverage was balanced.

Perhaps we have different definitions of contending. I would suggest on the 13th when he was 1 behind Stenson and Rory in 3rd place he was contending. When he missed a birdie putt to tie the lead on 14th he was contending. Yes, still very unlikely given opportunities ahead for the others and the fact it was 3 or 4 in the mix but given Woods dropped shots on the way in, on another day it could have been the others.

Out of interest who contended on the day for you - did Stenson or Rose who finished 5 and 4 shots back respectively? DeChambeau who never lead the tournament on the back nine?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Perhaps we have different definitions of contending. I would suggest on the 13th when he was 1 behind Stenson and Rory in 3rd place he was contending. When he missed a birdie putt to tie the lead on 14th he was contending. Yes, still very unlikely given opportunities ahead for the others and the fact it was 3 or 4 in the mix but given Woods dropped shots on the way in, on another day it could have been the others.

Out of interest who contended on the day for you - did Stenson or Rose who finished 5 and 4 shots back respectively? DeChambeau who never lead the tournament on the back nine?

It's a fair point I suppose. 10 years ago players may have seen Tigers name creeping and got flustered but not any more.

I would suggest all 3 with McIlroy were contending, I always felt the winner would come from 1 of those 4. Tiger started too far back and it would have needed a blow up from all in front of him and for him to shoot 65 minimum to win, always going to be extremely unlikely. Thats why I didn't consider him contending, but you are right, he got close to the leaders during the round.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
this just shows how full of rubbish people are . the same as that bloke in the pub that talks about what the football manager needs to do if he wants to win the Premier league.

he finishes his pint then goes back to stacking shelfs

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site

Turn off then if others who feel the same do the same the producers will soon put a product on the TV that the majority want to see

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's a fair point I suppose. 10 years ago players may have seen Tigers name creeping and got flustered but not any more.

I would suggest all 3 with McIlroy were contending, I always felt the winner would come from 1 of those 4. Tiger started too far back and it would have needed a blow up from all in front of him and for him to shoot 65 minimum to win, always going to be extremely unlikely. Thats why I didn't consider him contending, but you are right, he got close to the leaders during the round.

Ha, I think we were on the same page all along. I agree it was always outside chance and more likely 1 of the 4 mentioned to win. I think I just found it odd that alongside someone saying a top 25ish golfer wouldn't win in future, that the following comment then suggested he didn't even contend. All seemed to defy (my) logic and what's been actually seen but I agree with how you saw it.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

Like it or lump it, that is factually incorrect. Valspar, a run of mill tour stop if ever there was one, last week received the highest TV ratings in a non-major since 2013 (when Woods won the Players!), and with the exception of the Masters the highest rating of any tournament since 2015 - beating 6 major championships.

Tiger at the top of the leaderboard is what the golfing world want to see - the players, TV companies, advertisers, written/social medial, sponsors, manufacturers, all because it brings more people to watching the sport on an otherwise uneventful Sunday in March. His return is providing a natrual runway and hype to the Masters coverage, rather than the somewhat forced narratives of the past few years.

He will almost definitely win a tournament at some point. He couldn't swing a club fully 6 months ago - in time he will find his driver swing and it will hold up enough over a week to win. His game is actually more suited to the majors right now - I can't see him shooting -20 to win somewhere and its more likely to be a course that the winner ends up around -10. He knows Augusta like the back of his hand and Shinnecock and Carnousite won't require many drivers to be hit. He makes enough birdies to achieve that on any course in any conditions.

The weekend should be about Rory though, absolutely great to see him in full flight and anyone who thought he was incapable of those heights again got a timely smack to the face. I really hope he puts a couple of those rounds in at the Majors this year, there is nobody better than him when he plays like yesterday.

D

Deleted member 15344

Like it or lump it, that is factually incorrect. Valspar, a run of mill tour stop if ever there was one, last week received the highest TV ratings in a non-major since 2013 (when Woods won the Players!), and with the exception of the Masters the highest rating of any tournament since 2015 - beating 6 major championships.

Tiger at the top of the leaderboard is what the golfing world want to see - the players, TV companies, advertisers, written/social medial, sponsors, manufacturers, all because it brings more people to watching the sport on an otherwise uneventful Sunday in March. His return is providing a natrual runway and hype to the Masters coverage, rather than the somewhat forced narratives of the past few years.

He will almost definitely win a tournament at some point. He couldn't swing a club fully 6 months ago - in time he will find his driver swing and it will hold up enough over a week to win. His game is actually more suited to the majors right now - I can't see him shooting -20 to win somewhere and its more likely to be a course that the winner ends up around -10. He knows Augusta like the back of his hand and Shinnecock and Carnousite won't require many drivers to be hit. He makes enough birdies to achieve that on any course in any conditions.

The weekend should be about Rory though, absolutely great to see him in full flight and anyone who thought he was incapable of those heights again got a timely smack to the face. I really hope he puts a couple of those rounds in at the Majors this year, there is nobody better than him when he plays like yesterday.

How is it factually incorrect when someone has already stated they switched off ? And he won’t be the only one - there are lots of viewers who want to watch all the players not just Woods and if the coverage continues to be saturated then people will switch off and you will be left with people who just want to watch Woods - do people really prefer watching a player walking to a tee or walking inbetween practise areas when Golf is going on. People including myself pay good money to watch the Sky not to watch the Tiger Woods show and it’s turning into the Tiger Woods show - even yesterday once he finished they showed repeats again of his shots whilst the golf was still going on. It’s everything the coverage for me and I suspect many others. The sooner he goes the better for me - then can just sit back and enjoy all the other golfers like we have done for the past 2 years.

And someone who drives it as wildy as he does won’t win again - regardless of what the course is - he knew Bay Hill off the back of his hand and again it was his driving - he hit two of the worst drives seen for a long time and got away with many others - won’t get away with those at either of the Opens were the rough will punish people who can’t find a fairway. I can see him missing cuts at both ( hopefully )

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Really enjoyed it. But the Too Much Tiger (TMT) syndrome was building and I was verging on getting fed up with the hyping going on - but fair do's to woods - he seemed to accept his final holes botch-up with pragmatism - obviously disappointed - but he knows where is weakness is.

Brilliant from Rory. Found myself shouting a few 'get in there's' over the closing holes - and his putt on the last was claery a real body blow to DeChambeau (who actually looked emotionally upset when putt didn't drop on 17 after eagle 16...and he then as he heard Rory hole out on 18)

But top viewing...

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
He's been striping the driver on the range from all reports. Only a matter of time before he transfers that onto the golf course. You really think he's not going to have 1 week where he drives it well? If he does, he wins given the way the rest of his game is shaping up.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
The thing I really enjoyed about the golf (apart from Rory's amazing finish) was how much Tiger seemed to be enjoying it. He was laughing and smiling his way around the course, he seems a lot more at ease with himself now.
As for whether he will win again? Well, if even someone as RANK ROTTEN as Rory can win, then I suspect 'wildly' hitting Tiger might be able to manage it at some point.

People have such short memories it seems. :rolleyes:

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
get the feeling somebody’s not a tiger fan, Doubt very much he’ll miss the cut at either, it’s great to see him back and playing well and winding the haters up 😂