Roll ups

Mandofred

Visit site
Getting a few rumors going around that once things settle down (months from now, at least) the regular roll-up groups might be axed at our course and then everything would stay with BRS fastest finger on the computer approach if you want to play. One of the roll-up groups I play in has been going 40+ years? Having roll-up groups was one of the main reasons I got back into golf. Trying to find people to play with (when you don't know anybody) is too tough to think about for me. Rumors being rumors, I'm hoping that the roll-ups continue. If for some reason they got rid of them I would likely look for another local course to join if they keep their roll-ups.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Getting a few rumors going around that once things settle down (months from now, at least) the regular roll-up groups might be axed at our course and then everything would stay with BRS fastest finger on the computer approach if you want to play. One of the roll-up groups I play in has been going 40+ years? Having roll-up groups was one of the main reasons I got back into golf. Trying to find people to play with (when you don't know anybody) is too tough to think about for me. Rumors being rumors, I'm hoping that the roll-ups continue. If for some reason they got rid of them I would likely look for another local course to join if they keep their roll-ups.
Am sure it's possible to have an online booking system and still have roll ups.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Very simple.

We have a few established roll ups, they're just allocated tee times now and it's regularly publicised and stressed that they are all open to anyone.
I've been pushing our GM to do the same. One of our committee guys is trying to get a rollup going on Sundays so might have a bit more luck now.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our membership won't go for this, One idea I've hear muted is that each group would be given a specific number of slots as a block to each group although there are questions about how you stop other members simply booking into the times. Whether there would be some sort of access code per group, players told the office up to the afternoon before they are playing (surely most people will know if they plan to play the following day) remains uncertain.

The biggest fly in the ointment I can see is our roll ups have always been open to anyone so if we are allocated say 5 x fourballs and people decide they want to play with us, then will the regular guys miss out on getting a slot. At the moment with money not suppose to change hands, the bar not fully functional its not going to happen soon so plenty of time to work out the best way for all the groups

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Our club has a number of roll-ups, including the one I play in on a Saturday. When there’s no comp on the club turn over half a dozen tee times to us.

The deal in return is that new members who want a game early Saturday morning are pointed in our direction and we accommodate them. It works really well and long may it continue.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our club has a number of roll-ups, including the one I play in on a Saturday. When there’s no comp on the club turn over half a dozen tee times to us.

The deal in return is that new members who want a game early Saturday morning are pointed in our direction and we accommodate them. It works really well and long may it continue.
I like the notion but what happens if there are more people wanting to play (including the newbies) than tee times and the slots immediately after the allocated times are taken by other members. It kind of scuppers the whole roll up as not all the results are in, money can't be paid out and there wont be the usual banter (an integral part of the whole roll up scenario)

D

Deleted member 16999

Organised block book tee times can only be a good thing for roll ups!

As for those upset, they should be reminded that club is there for the 400+ members, not just the 20-50 that like the roll up.

Some Clubs need to grow a set and bring the Club in to the 21st Century.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ours work well with blocks allocated to the various rollup groups.

To me the key benefit is you get to play with different people and nobody is excluded. Often said it is a great way to integrate new members.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Very simple.

We have a few established roll ups, they're just allocated tee times now and it's regularly publicised and stressed that they are all open to anyone.

There's a similar issue at my place.

The groups that have been going for years at peak times are getting squeezed out because they can't organise 3 or 4 consecutive tee times. The clubs solution is to stop singles booking. Personally against this as singles tend to be new or quite new members and obviously others can still join them. Well established members will no doubt find ways to get more of the peak times with groups trying to secure the popular slots, and also swapping people in and out after the initial booking is made.

Our club seem to protect not having a booking system and members just turn up and wait their turn. Obviously this isn't the case at present, but I can see that they want to get back to that in order for the informal groups to get their preferred times.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

The groups that have been going for years at peak times are getting squeezed out because they can't organise 3 or 4 consecutive tee times. The clubs solution is to stop singles booking. Personally against this as singles tend to be new or quite new members and obviously others can still join them. Well established members will no doubt find ways to get more of the peak times with groups trying to secure the popular slots, and also swapping people in and out after the initial booking is made.

Our club seem to protect not having a booking system and members just turn up and wait their turn. Obviously this isn't the case at present, but I can see that they want to get back to that in order for the informal groups to get their preferred times.
How many members does your Club have?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Maybe other members are grateful that they can now also get out at peak times and not only the groups who have been hogging these slots for years. Is it unreasonable that all members get a go at booking those peak times? Maybe the other members feel squeezed out normally and are loving this new, more equal set up?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
How many members does your Club have?

That's another issue as I think we aren't far off 500 members with full playing rights, and a few dozen midweek members.

Back in the day when clubs had waiting lists, there were a lot of members who didn't play much but kept their membership and another group with multiple memberships. So the 1st tee wasn't all that busy and the culture was established to just walk on to the 1st tee.

Now I'd imagine the majority of the 500 all live locally and plan on playing at least once a week.

I think the club have been so used to being concerned about member numbers that they are always doing marketing and trying to ensure we at least recruit the members who are lost each year. However I'm certain the lockdown has led to a lot of new members as people can't play as guests or visitors anywhere and as everyone is working from home, they have a bit more time to get a round of golf in.

Given our tee sheet I can't see them even allowing guests during the day any time soon and visitors might not happen this year.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have had online booking for probably over 20 years and all our swindles/rollups work fine.

We just have individuals booking slots at agreed times so that at best we consecutive tee slots and occasionally they are just close together.

The only change that has happened going forward all is players have to named in the slots and anybody who does not intend to play must remove their name.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Maybe other members are grateful that they can now also get out at peak times and not only the groups who have been hogging these slots for years. Is it unreasonable that all members get a go at booking those peak times? Maybe the other members feel squeezed out normally and are loving this new, more equal set up?

Agree.

Other dynamic is being able to turn up, know you have a time, and slip onto the 1st tee within 5 minutes of arriving as well as being done less than 3 hours later certainly makes it easier to swing an extra game, knowing you are out of the house for less than 4 hours rather than 5+.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The other change at the moment is that all players are required to leave the club as soon as practicable after they finish so tehre is no waiting around to see how other groups have done.

Hopefully this will change come July 4th. However given the size of our lounge I am sure there will have to be a time limit to how long any group can spend in the lounge.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
We have had online booking for probably over 20 years and all our swindles/rollups work fine.

We just have individuals booking slots at agreed times so that at best we consecutive tee slots and occasionally they are just close together.

The only change that has happened going forward all is players have to named in the slots and anybody who does not intend to play must remove their name.

I'm sure they would at our place if it wasn't as busy. There's no reason why a 0900 group can't get on the fastest finger and book 2 or 3 times... other than the fact it's a bun fight and loads of people want to play at that time.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We had been running for years with multiple informal but widely recognised roll up slots and online booking. But covid upset the apple cart. When we came back we were limited to pairs and there were so many members on furlough or laid off, the midweek times were overwhelmed by what had been 'Saturday' players.
We now have two formal block bookings. 1 Seniors and 1 Ladies. And in addition, honours board comps.