Does your club still operate a roll-up?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depends what you call a roll-up? Ostensibly yes, we have them, three times a week. Anyone is eligible to join in, and individuals don't get to pick who they want to play with. But, you have to determine in advance whether you want to play in it - you have to sign up in advance and the draw is done in advance. There's no spontenaity about it, so its not really a roll-up any more.

evemccc

Visit site
I couldn’t be happier really regarding how my club operates re: the number and frequency of roll-ups, comps, and the BRS booking system….in short I think it’s the best of all worlds…the course isn’t over-busy, there are roll-ups and drawn comps to meet people and integrate, and sufficient space for BRS bookings for those who don’t want to do the roll-ups and want to play alone / with Guests / with others or Matches — this is particularly useful for those who are more time-limited and just want to ‘play golf and go’

Visit site
Our club had a brilliant roll up on a Saturday morning which was generally used to introduce new members and it was very successful. I played almost every one for the first couple of years and met most of my regular playing partners through that roll up. There was normally 15-20 players, hardly a riot, but without that, I don’t think I’d have felt like an established and integrated member of the club for a whole lot longer.

Because of Covid, we now use tee bookings all day every day, whereas pre-Covid it was turn up and queue on the first tee. The club doesn’t feel it is right to block out up to 1hr 30 for a roll up on a Saturday morning, so the roll up has died a death. As a result, the 50+ new members we took on during the covid years haven’t really integrated, a few don’t seem to have sussed the general attitudes of the club, and it’s a shame really.

NearHull

Visit site
We were a club that only booked competitions pre Covid. Post Covid we stayed with a full on line booking system but hold Roll Ups on Tuesdays and Thursdays by blanking out 5 tees. Any adult member can play by rolling up.
We play team games on Tuesday and an individual qualifying competition on Thursday . It’s used to integrate new members as well as providing good flexibility for those established members who don’t necessarily always want to commit to game.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The bigger roll ups have block tee times reserved for them by the pro shop and members sign up online, pro shop can then release times that aren’t needed. The smaller ones (usually evening 9 hole ones) members of the group grab 3 or 4 times individually, then on the day roll call is done via WhatsApp and names added to the bookings, and unneeded times released.
Yes. And above is exactly how rollups work at my place.

Each roll up has its own deadline for entry after which slots are released according to number signed up. Club leaves a couple tee times back end of reservation for late or on-the-day turn ups. Club directs new members to roll ups as best way of getting integrated. The main roll up on Saturday goes off from 10:30 and average 21- 24 members so 6 or 7 tee times according to format chosen on the day.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes but similar to what others have said it’s arranged socially by ex-captains rather than competition committee.

For what it’s worth, the entirety of the New course is operated on a first come first served principal (with some exceptions) so is sometimes referred to as a roll-up course.

Genu9

Visit site
Yeah, we have a Swindle Mon, Wed & Fri @ 12:00 throughout the year. Tee slot is booked on a rolling basis for us by Pro Shop. Random draw of 3 and/or 4-man teams, pound in the pot, maximum winning £4 per head. Over the past year we accumulated £300 from 'pot surplus' which we played for last week in an annual 'Championship final'. (Qualification to play in final is by number times you played during the year. Stops people just turning up for the final). The pot paid for food and a £150 prize fund.