Roll Back Discussion

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I naively assume the old tee is still there and if everyone is hitting driver, wedge, wedge on thursday they can just use a forward tee?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
How many of those not favouring a roll back would also prefer to see limits done away with altogether, ie give the equipment manufacturers free rein to fully optimise everything so that we see the full gain from the potential of technology?

In fact I think I'll make a poll, everyone likes one of those! :)

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
In a nutshell, Rory thinks it’s a great idea but the rest of the players think it sucks.

Must admit, I’d be in agreement with them. Daft idea.

I'm not really bothered by it either way, can see pros and cons on both sides of the argument.

However I think Rory's reasoning is pretty good, by reducing distance you will encourage pros to have to use more clubs in their bag, so it won't necessarily be best driver and wedge player, but you start seeing regularly 5i or 6i being played into par 4s

I guess the other advantage may be that if the ball doesn't go as far then older tour courses that can't be extended can be brought back into rotation.

Or on the other hand, who cares if the winning score is -45 at the end of the day, you are competing against the field not the course

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not really bothered by it either way, can see pros and cons on both sides of the argument.

However I think Rory's reasoning is pretty good, by reducing distance you will encourage pros to have to use more clubs in their bag, so it won't necessarily be best driver and wedge player, but you start seeing regularly 5i or 6i being played into par 4s

I guess the other advantage may be that if the ball doesn't go as far then older tour courses that can't be extended can be brought back into rotation.

Or on the other hand, who cares if the winning score is -45 at the end of the day, you are competing against the field not the course
Hmmm, I wonder why Rory is in favour of that? :unsure:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Seeing a few articles on line suggesting the PGAT won’t be adopting any rollback measures. From the moment Feherty said “we don’t want to be golf, but shorter”, it was always going to be a tough sell.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
They should just have done it, told the manufacturers the new limit, made it for everyone, and hey presto.

Losing 10 yards means nothing to the amateur golfer if its universally applied. If they had a 5 year adoption time as they did with drivers etc and as they did phasing out the 1.62, nobody would have noticed...

I get theres a diminishing returns argument, supposedly some stats that say anything about 185 -190 mph starts to be detrimental, somaybe we have reached the nadir and golf will be here for a while.

My biggest concern, and hes probably too naive to realise or too selfish to care, but not only has he sold the pga tour to the highest bidder, but now he's removing the governing power of the R & A and USGA.

Jay is officially the most dangerous man in golf.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I noticed from watching a few bits of the open that when they were smashing the ball off the tee they didn't finish in that perfect end of shot post. Most usually fell backwards with the amount of effort, a la us amateurs, they were putting in to get the ball as far down the hole as possible.

Swango1980

Visit site
I noticed from watching a few bits of the open that when they were smashing the ball off the tee they didn't finish in that perfect end of shot post. Most usually fell backwards with the amount of effort, a la us amateurs, they were putting in to get the ball as far down the hole as possible.
What is the perfect end of shot pose? Players like McIlroy tend to have their club wrapped all the pay round and pointing at the target, whereas someone like Fleetwood have a much shorter follow through.

I missed the Open this year, as I was in holiday in Rhodes until Tuesday, so didn't see how the players were managing the course. However, it looks like it was a great one to miss, given the runaway winner. If it wasn't for Harman, could have been very good as scores looked quite close.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A quick look at the points Jay made about it not being good for the game and they almost all seem to be money related, what a surprise!
The idea that pga pros (through their proxy JM) have anything worthwhile to say about golf, its future, its sustainability etc etc is frankly laughable. It's the inmates running the asylum.
As a general population (exceptions exist, obv), they have few redeeming qualities other than being good at hitting a golf ball.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I do kind of get why they don't want the change. A change does represent risk, probably more so for the players who are just battling to keep their tour card each year.

As for majors having potentially having different balls to the PGAT... What happens if some of the PGAT players effectively ditch the majors and don't bother with them as a result? The money the players get from the majors often isn't as big as the bigger PGAT events.

It's all a big mess and I would have no idea how it is sorted now.