Rip prince Phillip

D-S

Visit site
Having said the above, BBC 4 is even more baffling, just displaying the logo of a football match that is underway with nothing but crowd noise, no commentary.
Is this protocol?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Is there a rationale behind the BBC playing the same programme on both its main channels? If they have enough coverage, information, stories and interviews to need simultaneous broadcast of two different streams of information, then that is fine. However, playing the same programming over two channels is just halving your output. I’m not sure what they are trying to achieve.
I wondered also, and wondered why all BBC radio channels had cancelled normal programming and were broadcasting common and the same reports - I could easily have been a little irked - then I paused and understood. Respect for Her Majesty.

D-S

Visit site
I wondered also, and wondered why all BBC radio channels had cancelled normal programming and were broadcasting common and the same reports - I could easily have been a little irked - then I paused and understood. Respect for Her Majesty.
But the tv channels aren’t all showing the same thing ‘out of respect’ see my comment re BBC4.
If anything, just showing the logo of a football match that is being played with the noise of an encouraging crowd could be seen as a mark of disrespect.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great piece

By Barack Obama

When we first met His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, he and Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II had already been on the world stage for more than half a century — welcoming leaders like Churchill and Kennedy; Mandela and Gorbachev. As two Americans unaccustomed to palaces and pomp, we didn’t know what to expect.

We shouldn’t have worried. The Queen and Prince Philip immediately put us at ease with their grace and generosity, turning a ceremonial occasion into something far more natural, even comfortable. Prince Philip in particular was kind and warm, with a sharp wit and unfailing good humor. It was our first introduction to the man behind the title, and in the years since, our admiration for him has only grown. We will miss him dearly.

Like the Queen, Prince Philip saw world wars and economic crises come and go. The radio gave way to the television, and the television to the internet. And through it all, he helped provide steady leadership and guiding wisdom. It has long been said that the United States and Great Britain have a special relationship — one that has been maintained and strengthened not just by presidents and prime ministers but by the Royal Family that has outlasted them all.

At the Queen’s side or trailing the customary two steps behind, Prince Philip showed the world what it meant to be a supportive husband to a powerful woman. Yet he also found a way to lead without demanding the spotlight — serving in combat in World War II, commanding a frigate in the Royal Navy, and tirelessly touring the world to champion British industry and excellence. Through his extraordinary example, he proved that true partnership has room for both ambition and selflessness — all in service of something greater.

As the world mourns his loss, we send our warmest wishes and deepest sympathies to the Queen, their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren; and everyone who knew and loved this remarkable man.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But the tv channels aren’t all showing the same thing ‘out of respect’ see my comment re BBC4.
If anything, just showing the logo of a football match that is being played with the noise of an encouraging crowd could be seen as a mark of disrespect.
As I said. I could easily have felt a bit irked by it all - but with a moments thought and reflection I understood that I should just put such feelings aside - just for the time being - and give thanks for what he achieved and encouraged others to achieve - despite his quirks - and for his support to Her Maj through her life of service to the country.

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
The original reason to broadcast on both BBC Channels goers back to the era of 405/625 line reception of television in certain areas of the country being unable to get clear transmission signals on one or the other BBC channels. It also made links with Eurovision more simple. In the modern age, the main reason is most continuity is played in nowadays as opposed to live and broadcasting certain events on both channels is agreed as part of the BBC charter as well as being an alternative should one station go off the air.

RichA

Visit site
Watched the thing on BBC1 last night 9 till 10. Really interesting. Reinforced what I heard on the radio yesterday. What a fascinating life. What an individual.
Like I said, I'm absolutely not a royalist, but the man certainly made a difference that most of us might be proud of.
Sad that a handful of fairly harmless gaffs in over 7 decades of public service are what so many choose to focus on. I'm more than happy to raise a glass to him.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Watched the thing on BBC1 last night 9 till 10. Really interesting. Reinforced what I heard on the radio yesterday. What a fascinating life. What an individual.
Like I said, I'm absolutely not a royalist, but the man certainly made a difference that most of us might be proud of.
Sad that a handful of fairly harmless gaffs in over 7 decades of public service are what so many choose to focus on. I'm more than happy to raise a glass to him.
I only know of him for the last 20ish years, and therefore until watching the program yesterday I wasn’t aware of all the bits before he became the oddball on the queens side.

What we were wondering is when the BBC started to prepare it, they can’t have cobbled it together in 9 hours, can they? Our best guess is that most of it might be 3 years old when he retired from Royal duty?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
EDIT: Phil’s right, not worth wasting my breath.
Not at all - just found it quite pathetic two grown men bickering on a thread to show respect to someone passing away

Aye....but he started it ;)

Back on topic, I wasn’t aware (until yesterday) he was the driving force behind the WWF (the animal one, not the other one :ROFLMAO:).