RIP Arnold Palmer

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'm too young to have seen him playing at his best but the fact that he remained in the focus of the game for so many years after he stopped competing says so much about him, his style and his personality.

What a man.

seochris

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The Great Man...RIP.

If my memory serves me correctly someone said once and I think it was Arnold Palmer who resurrected the Open Championship and golf in the UK from the doldrums by coming over here and playing it. I believe it was a pretty lack luster affair before then. So we owe him a great debt of gratitude for that.

Saw him play at the open in 1981 at St. Georges. Made the cut....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Cheers Arnie - you certainly gave us much cheer and much to cheer about. One of the great triumvirate leaves us to forever play Valhalla. God Bless...

D

Deleted member 18588

I have shed a tear at this very, very sad news.

When I first got into golf in 1970 Jack was The Man but there was still something extra special about The King and he quickly became my golfing hero . Visited Bay Hill once in the hope of just bumping into him and shaking his hand, sadly that will never happen now.

Thanks for all the memories Arnie, may you rest in peace.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My dad's golfing hero. He would always point me to Arnie's instructional Video when I was learning the game as a kid. In fact he still refers to it to this day as he got it converted to DVD.

RIP

U

User62651

Was like a matador of the course with his swashbuckling attacking style. Can see why he was so popular, seemed like a real gentleman too. RIP Arnie.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
RIP to the King

Im only 36 ad never saw him in his pomp. My only real knowledge of him is from various documentaries and obviously the Masters every year.

Has to be said though, he was one cool muddy funster back in the day.

Coolest golfer i can imagine, with the smoke hanging from his bottom lip, not to mention the fact that he was a Matelot too.

Legend

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very sad news and some marvellous tributes across TV and social media. Sadly I missed him in his prime but he was still an icon when I got into the game in the late 70's and loved his fearless style.