Right you lot, time for something different.

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
Bob,don't close it,I"d find this really helpful as my short game was pants this year. Can you comment on this from the "summer". I was getting very inconsistent contact mainly and rarely getting up and down from this range. After the video I stood a little further from the ball. Any comments appreciated as I want to nail it over the winter and get down to 4 next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5JnE3wZaDk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Cheers big chap,keep up the good work

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
Bob,don't close it,I"d find this really helpful as my short game was pants this year. Can you comment on this from the "summer". I was getting very inconsistent contact mainly and rarely getting up and down from this range. After the video I stood a little further from the ball. Any comments appreciated as I want to nail it over the winter and get down to 4 next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5JnE3wZaDk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Cheers big chap,keep up the good work

My advice is don't play golf in a hurricane

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
high 58 in that wind is the wrong shot. i should know. ive made the mistake more times than i care to remember!

how far away from the flag were you in that video?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This thread never really got it dues. A good idea but again it only really works if people are willing to contribute.

Short game is something we all bleat about on here and how we plan to work on it. In the past I've always tended to grab for a lofted wedge around the green. Taking on the high risk chip/ pitch over getting it rolling asap. This last year or two I have attempted to get the putter on the ball around the greens as much as possible.

As many of you know, I have put a 16 degree dunter (its not really a chipper honest ;) ) in my bag. It gets its first proper run out tomorrow. This is all part of this 'get the ball rolling quickly' philosophy. If I can I will get a video using this.

Bob was looking for 50 yard pitches. I hope he doesn't mind if I widen this to all manner of short game shots. It is the part of the game I love the most and I always study how people approach this part of the game. From Phil Mickelson to harry hacker, I like to see how people tackle it.

Anyway just to get the ball rolling (quickly) so to speak here is a short clinic from Curtis strange. None of the info will be new to most of you but there is always gems of knowledge in there and a refresher course for everyone.

Main points

Choose a club that gets it rolling
Pick landing spot and concentrate on hitting that
Shy away from flying it to the hole (unless its called for)
Play the percentage shot.

*take special note of how he says if he could do it all again he would just putt it. Especially with modern course set up.
** also how he 'gets the hybrid/ wood chip shot' but finds it too awkward with the length of shaft and shaft angle. (if only there was a club that was designed with this in mind. Chi##er :rofl:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Don't close it. Going to be filming some 50 yard pitches on Friday. I know there's a lack of connect between body and arms and plan to do some work on the towel drill to improve this. I'll get something up asap Friday/Saturday

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks Homer.
Gary, I was hoping to help a few who find the 50yd shot difficult.
It is such an important shot/technique that can be varied by using different clubs/swing lengths etc to hit the ball different distances.
It's really not a difficult shot and with a bit of practice results can come quickly.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I know this isn't on the course, but it is a video of a shot going roughly 60 yards, if it is useful for you to comment on that would be great. Taken using a 58* wedge.

[video=youtube;gkF05FvFOdQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkF05FvFOdQ[/video]

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like that Curtis strange video and makes so much sense but for my track there ain't a lot of holes where it's applicable as a lot of the greens are elevated- the high ones by 4- 6 feet above, the lower ones still 2-3 feet above so that danger of not clearing the fringe and banging into the bank to kill the ball makes you take more lofted.... have looked into the 6-8-10 method and when I have had the chance I do try to get it rolling but there's only 3 or 4 holes at my track that ends up being an option (even then that's only if you miss short- you miss left or right you're going over a bunker usually).

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Well the technique is good, you just need to work out different yardages by maybe holding the club at the bottom of the grip.
Figure out how to hit the ball 30, 40, 50,yds etc and write it down.
Do you vary the length of your swing at all?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Well the technique is good, you just need to work out different yardages by maybe holding the club at the bottom of the grip.
Figure out how to hit the ball 30, 40, 50,yds etc and write it down.
Do you vary the length of your swing at all?

Yes, I vary my swing length depending on the length of shot and match that with one of my wedges to get the appropriate flight. My shortest swing length tends to be the club shaft parallel to the ground, then try and follow through to the same position. I have three wedges 52,56,58. I just need to dial in the yardages for each club

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Perfect.
Keep the numbers in a little book so you can refer to it on the course.

(Then you can get rid of the 56)

:whistle:

I have been toying with the idea of loosing the 56, but it has more bounce so I have found it pretty useful out of bunkers and the rough stuff.

Thanks for the tips, they are always appreciated as I still class myself as a newbie

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some poor 50 yard pitches from me here.

[video=youtube;DYD-GccZlbg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYD-GccZlbg[/video]

Don't know why the camera quality is so poor. Matches the strikes though.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What do you think of the length/speed of the back swing/through swing?

I am a little annoyed with these as I usually stand quite open on this type of shot and cut across it. For whatever reason I stood square.

I didn't carry any of them far enough. Not sure about the length/ speed. all I know is I have whipped it far too inside for my liking. I'd like to stand open and get a bit steeper on it.