Right you lot, time for something different.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Most people know to be a good player, you need to be good in all departments.
And yet almost everyday, we read people telling others to work at their short games.
So, rather than posting your driver swings and iron swings, and asking for tips/advice, let's see your short game vids.

I'm guessing most of you will have access to some kind of video recording device and as it won't be filming swings of over 100 mph, the quality doesn't have to be brilliant.
Try and get your mates to film you playing a simple straightforward pitch from 50 yards on the course (even you who favour the hosel ) :eek:

Lets see if we can help you get the ball onto the green within 1 or 2 putt range ALL the time.

So, film it on the course, upload to you tube and post the links in here.
Should be fun. :)

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
And yet almost everyday, we read people telling others to work at their short games.
So, rather than posting your driver swings and iron swings, and asking for tips/advice, let's see your short game vids.

I'm guessing most of you will have access to some kind of video recording device and as it won't be filming swings of over 100 mph, the quality doesn't have to be brilliant.
Try and get your mates to film you playing a simple straightforward pitch from 50 yards on the course (even you who favour the hosel ) :eek:

Lets see if we can help you get the ball onto the green within 1 or 2 putt range ALL the time.

I would be far less embarrassed if I could film a shot from 150 yards as I am sure I could get that closer.........:mmm:

I do not think it is so much the technical side of playing the shot, it is more the fact that I have horrific distance control. So the fact that the shot may look alright on a video it could still be easily 20 foot from the pin.........................:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I agree Bob

In fact putting videos and different styles etc would be more valuable than the longer game issues

I think the main issue with putting is the freedom of methods but if misunderstood the principles would be lost

My early golf coach in fact gave me bad advice suggesting keeping my arms / elbows out away from the body and rock

3 years later i was still wristy and struggling

After looking at your advice and using the VEASY i now putt with elbows tucked in gently touching the ribcage

I think also height, arms length, putter length can compound the problems too

Look forward to this idea expanding more

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob- kinda off topic, but what's your thoughts on "Secrets of the Short Game", i.e. wrist hinge and held?

Nothing new.
People have been using that technique for ever.
But it's just one shot of many that can be used around the greens and has it's uses as do all the rest.
If Phil says it's the best way or the only way to chip and pitch, I would disagree.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Cheers. To be honest, I just use the V-Easy chip technique at all times and let the varying club lofts do their job.

That's good news :)
Although, having said that.....
The V-Easy technique only works up to a certain distance and isn't ideal for the longer chips/short pitches when you would use a slight wrist hinge as the shot gets longer.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Against all the best advice, I like a bit of wrist hinge in all my short shots as it gives me a feel factor that seems to work for me.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Against all the best advice, I like a bit of wrist hinge in all my short shots as it gives me a feel factor that seems to work for me.

it works for many chrisd, its not how its how many:smirk:

[video=youtube_share;_3ssOhoCd3o]http://youtu.be/_3ssOhoCd3o[/video]

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Bob can i request you start one about putting to show

Correct stance
Correct arm elbow positions
Correct eye line
Correct stroke
Correct tempo
Grip choice

something along those lines would be fantastic and i know you have the clear methods to show us

I know alot of the above is variable but based on your own personal set up choice would be very helpful to many i feel

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob can i request you start one about putting to show

Correct stance
Correct arm elbow positions
Correct eye line
Correct stroke
Correct tempo
Grip choice

something along those lines would be fantastic and i know you have the clear methods to show us

I know alot of the above is variable but based on your own personal set up choice would be very helpful to many i feel

I'd rather not.
It would just be swamped by the other 'experts' telling me how wrong I was and that it is different for everybody.
In fact, I'm having second thoughts about this thread already.
Take a look on You tube, there's hundreds of clips on how to putt.
Sorry

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was hoping we could just help people from around the 50 yards range.
If you want to start a thread about chipping from close in, be my guest.

l

Yeah, that's what I meant by just off the green! i.e. my (hopefully) last shot before getting the putter out.

I couldn't chip/pitch for toffee before your device stopped my stupidly over-complicated technique.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mods, close this thread please, I've had enough

real shame but I can see it........intend to make a video anyway because this is such an important part of the game, and arguably a building block too.

Bob, your offer was generous - shame really and have a drink with me.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Is there a common cause of shanking chip shots, say 30 foot odd? It can't be that hard to chip 30ft, so there can't be that many variations? I'd like to post a video, but despite popular opinion, I can't do it to order, so it could take some time to replicate it. I tend to play it off the back foot, and I'm guessing it can be a bit 'steery'.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is there a common cause of shanking chip shots, say 30 foot odd? It can't be that hard to chip 30ft, so there can't be that many variations? I'd like to post a video, but despite popular opinion, I can't do it to order, so it could take some time to replicate it. I tend to play it off the back foot, and I'm guessing it can be a bit 'steery'.

That's my take on it having done it and seen it. No getting through the shot, staying on back foot throughout, standing open and hitting something like a cricketers cover drive. Then I overreact and deloft the club and fat the ball low and left. For me I have to feel like I am really out to in on such shots and feel the club is coming across and cutting under the ball and the results are great...feel not always being real and all that!

T

thecraw

Bob, there are so many big big hitters on here many forumers won't ken how to play a 50 yard shot.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
its a pity you didnt start this thread in the summer when i was spending long evenings at the course. ive got one or do videos about. have a simple little chip one i could post.

im not in the same country as my membership course anymore so new videos will be hard to come by!