Ridiculous golf marketing

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our Son used to be like that...... If he was starting to lose an argument he would stomp his feet as he went upstairs, slam his bedroom door shut, and sit up there for an hour or two sulking.
Thank god he's grown up now. It's his 8th birthday next week.
Like I said earlier Homer, go play Crowborough Beacon.
Here's the 1st hole...
http://www.cbgc.co.uk/1st_hole

196 yard carry over heather. Doesn't sound a lot if you have a 30mph wind behind you. Try playing it with the wind in your boat race and you'll be lucky to find the fairway. Or your ball. No bale out area here, and it's the very first hole. Nearly every hole at Crowborough has a carry of some description, whether it's heather or a ravine and very few, if any, have bale out areas.
Are senior or high handicapped golfers leaving in their droves????
Crowborough is rated as one of the best courses in Sussex and has a very high proportion of elderly members (or it always did have when I was there).

Childish retort as always. Just no point continuing the discussion. I've made my views clear and others disagree. Why flog the matter to death. Thought you were better than that. Clearly not

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Homer you're missing the point.
Golfers off the white tees have a carry of what looks like 175 yards. IF THEY CAN'T DO THAT THEY SIMPLY USE COURSE MANAGEMENT AND LAY UP.
Like I said previously, anyone who can't reach probably gets a shot, so an iron, a pitch and 2 putts gives them a nett par, that's golf.

There's a funky par 5 I play annually that has an island landing area for the 2nd shot. This year I couldn't get over the water to the island for my 2nd shot, so I played a wedge then a hybrid.
It doesn't make it a bad hole, I just had to use good course management to negotiate it.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Golfers off the white tees have a carry of what looks like 175 yards. IF THEY CAN'T DO THAT THEY SIMPLY USE COURSE MANAGEMENT AND LAY UP.
Like I said previously, anyone who can't reach probably gets a shot, so an iron, a pitch and 2 putts gives them a nett par, that's golf.

There's a funky par 5 I play annually that has an island landing area for the 2nd shot. This year I couldn't get over the water to the island for my 2nd shot, so I played a wedge then a hybrid.
It doesn't make it a bad hole, I just had to use good course management to negotiate it.

Isn't the point that there isn't anywhere to lay up, so shot or no shot you have no option other than attempt a shot you can't complete.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I agree but in this instance, all the ground before the lake is "semi-rough" at best and there is no guarantee the player will get a decent lie. Can you imagine how tricky a forty yard pitch over water with a ball sitting down in the grass is for most players, especially playing a second already into a par three?

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Absolutely.

The red tee says 120yds on the card, so approx 105yds carry. Wedge it down there, they can even prefer their lie for the next few months :)

Or is 105yd carry too exclusive? ;)

What about the Sunday afternoon toddlers swindle?

They will be upset if they cant join in the competitions from the back tees. :D

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ive watched the video. there is ample room for a lay up. a 30 yard pitch from semi rough is one of the most common shots in golf.

Looks a lovely hole. Rewards the brave, competent and fortuitous.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Couldn't they just leave a copy of "Positive Golf Thinking" on the tee so that the really bad golfers have at least got something to allay their fears? Surely after reading the nuggets of information in there they will attempt it with renewed vigour.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I'd not seen the video before and I agree with Gary, the pitch shot from semi rough looks the play if you can't carry, also I was expecting a right old dog track reading some of the comments but it looks pretty good, and the green was a good indicator of that.

No such lay-up opportunity on the 18th at the Arden, anything less than 170yds carry off the whites (202yds) and your wet 💦⛳️

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The 17th at Chart Hills is an island green to, modelled on Sawgrass I believe. It's shorter than the one mentioned and there is a drop zone but it is, for obvious reasons the signature hole

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The 17th at Chart Hills is an island green to, modelled on Sawgrass I believe. It's shorter than the one mentioned and there is a drop zone but it is, for obvious reasons the signature hole

There's an island green at West Midlands also, never played it or seen it though, very mixed reviews of the course keeps me slightly away.

faroyon

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not saying that at all. I've said my piece, described the hole, and played it. In my opinion it's poorly designed end of. I find it disappointing (and a tad snobbish) that if a golfer can't hit a ball 175 yards they should be precluded from playing comps as they aren't good enough. It's a bad hole and I agree with most of the sentiments in the OP about it. Not bothering to argue the toss any more. I've made my points as I see them
If you have played it, why are you unaware of the drop zone short of the lake?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you have played it, why are you unaware of the drop zone short of the lake?

Why do you feel the need to repeat the point? Of course I'm aware of the drop zone but it wasn't the point I was making. If you opt to lay up, the grass is semi-rough and leaves a tricky pitch from an unpredictable lie. If you insist on bringing the DZ into the equation that means you're now playing three and again from it's location, it leaves less than a full shot (not one many handicap golfers relish) and you are now trying that playing three and still over water. If I was going to provide a solution it would be to make the approach to the water a mown area, same length as the fairway where the lie would be more predicatible and there would be a chance to pick aand clean in winter