Ridiculous golf marketing

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Apologies if I have read it incorrectly, but your initial post states "all par 3's".

You are right, I don't think it's always needed as a considetation, would be a waste of time, drop zones etc cover those situations.

My point is really about regular play for visitors and members as well as weekly competition off the whites.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
They are obviously not ready for it.

Or no longer or not physically able?

Tough subject I know but I am not really talking about people not bring ready, I'm talking about competition golfers of all ages and abilities being able to have a chance to make par in any way they can.

I do see your point in that golf should not be so easy it's no longer challenging or fun but it should also be inclusive so all can tap into the fun!

faroyon

Medal Winner
Visit site
It is actually a great hole, and most of 'the members' do not lay up. Where are you getting your information? Do you have some sort of axe to grind here?

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Tough subject I know but I am not really talking about people not bring ready, I'm talking about competition golfers of all ages and abilities being able to have a chance to make par in any way they can.

I do see your point in that golf should not be so easy it's no longer challenging or fun but it should also be inclusive so all can tap into the fun!

If someone can't carry 150yds they shouldn't be in a competition, haven't got an issue with it in social games and the facility being in place but if someone can't hit it in the air 150yds with any degree of consistency then competitions are a no no for me, there slow enough as it is, or they go out last!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

If they are that old (or bad) they will be getting a shot on it, maybe two.
If they can't cope with that then I'm sorry........... it's time to give up

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site

I generally agree with you that golf should be as inclusive as possible.

However, there are situations where the necessary measures to accommodate players of every ability just aren't sensible. A 150y par3 with water right in front of the green means you have no more than probably 135y forced carry. I don't think it would be exclusive to expect players who sign up for a comp off the whites to be able to carry a ball that far.
If they can't do that, in all fairness, they won't "have a chance to make par in any way they can". If they can't carry 135y, they will have 50+ yard second shots (which probably means a full short iron for them) into long par 3s and they will be attacking the green on some of the longer par 4s with their 4th shot.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I generally agree with you that golf should be as inclusive as possible.

We can all agree that I bet, just differing opinions on the degree.

Great well made points by you and Smiffy, I can see your side, especially the slow play part. That does make sense and can be a factor.

I'm really happy we all had a nice mature discussion about this, makes a change!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
So you agree that it's crap to have a lay up spot on a 150 yard par 3???
;)

Three of our par 3's have no lay up area, hence the reason we can not have temporary greens on these holes. I imagine quite a few heathland courses are the same. You could lay up in the heather I suppose.:mad:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Three of our par 3's have no lay up area, hence the reason we can not have temporary greens on these holes. I imagine quite a few heathland courses are the same. You could lay up in the heather I suppose.:mad:

Bobmac demonstrated an alternative on one of them...