Ridiculous golf marketing

Pinhigh5

Visit site
People have ripped Horton Park in Epsom on this forum before for being an appallingly bad golf course with some bad holes. But their latest marketing gimmick takes the biscuit.

Their 10th hole is a 180-yard par-3 to an island green with absolutely no bail out area. All the members just wedge down to short of the water and then pitch on.

So the new marketing involves a picture of the 17th at Sawgrass and then a picture of this moronic hole, trying to compare the two and then making out Horton's is better.

The cretin who runs this place just cannot get it into his head how stupid it makes him and his club look. All the members have given up with him about it. The sad thing is if they shortened this hole to about 120, or ie: the same length at the Sawgrass hole, it would actually be a decent par 3.

It saddens me to read reviews where someone uses this forum to personally attack another. Cretin? Really? I suspect the person who wrote this has a personal agenda against the owner and will only air their opinions on a blog, very brave. Either way like many clubs they all have people who believe they can do a better job than the green keepers let alone owner... Simple solution, buy your own golf club and then you can do what you like.

As a professional and club owner I have played the course/hole many times and believe it is a good test of all abilities. The tee's you play from should reflect your standard and I suspect yellow at 150 yards is about right for this blogger, if you are still struggling from this distance consider lessons or footgolf.

The club is a great club run very professionally and must be tried.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
As a professional and club owner I have played the course/hole many times and believe it is a good test of all abilities. The tee's you play from should reflect your standard and I suspect yellow at 150 yards is about right for this blogger, if you are still struggling from this distance consider lessons or footgolf.

:clap: :thup:

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Even off the back tees the carry must only be 175ish to dry land? Surely everybody has something they can hit that far?

Im shocked at how many people on here are moaning about bail out areas! :rofl:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Even off the back tees the carry must only be 175ish to dry land? Surely everybody has something they can hit that far?

Im shocked at how many people on here are moaning about bail out areas! :rofl:

Total rubbish. A lot of high handicappers and older golfers will max out at that sort of distance and with no bail out area it makes the hole a farce. I've played it and it really is poorly designed

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
True. I hit my driver that distance onto one of our par three's yesterday.:thup: It was into a gale, and my two playing partners also hit driver, and didn't reach.:whistle:

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Total rubbish. A lot of high handicappers and older golfers will max out at that sort of distance and with no bail out area it makes the hole a farce. I've played it and it really is poorly designed

If you cant hit your driver 175 yards in normal conditions you shouldnt be playing off the back tees.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
So you're saying if a member can't hit a driver 175 they can't play club comps off the back? What about older members or new golfers? That's a really inclusive policy

New golfers should not be playing from the competition tees until they are ready imo.

Older golfers can play in seniors comps from the forward tees.

Building courses to cater for Older golfers and beginners from the competition tees is absolutely absurd.

Its all about knowing your limits. If you cant cope with playing from the back tees then dont play from them, dont bleat on to make the course easier.

Everybody has a limit of distance they can compete from.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
So you're saying if a member can't hit a driver 175 they can't play club comps off the back? What about older members or new golfers? That's a really inclusive policy

Go and join Crowborough Beacon. Some of the carries off the back tees are severe. You've got two options if you can't make them.... well three actually.
1. Don't enter competitions off the back tees.
2. Lose lots of balls.
3. Leave the club and go somewhere easier.

Simples.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Disappointing answers. The hole is poorly designed. Simples. I know plenty of members at my place, not seniors and not beginners who are off high handicaps (24-28) who are integral parts of the club and play every competition. We have a carry on our 3rd of about 170 yards and some struggle. It doesn't stop them as you can opt to play down the 7th. The hole in question relies on you laying up on a par 3 (not ideal and proof of a poor design in my opinion) and having done so, you are laying up into semi-rough so not guaranteed to get a good lie and are now faced with a 60 yard pitch over water off an iffy lie. Simply not a good hole

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Homer they will be laying up on all the par 3s at ur place if they can't hit it 175.

There is no difference here.

D

Deleted member 17920

Disappointing answers. The hole is poorly designed. Simples. I know plenty of members at my place, not seniors and not beginners who are off high handicaps (24-28) who are integral parts of the club and play every competition. We have a carry on our 3rd of about 170 yards and some struggle. It doesn't stop them as you can opt to play down the 7th. The hole in question relies on you laying up on a par 3 (not ideal and proof of a poor design in my opinion) and having done so, you are laying up into semi-rough so not guaranteed to get a good lie and are now faced with a 60 yard pitch over water off an iffy lie. Simply not a good hole
Rubbish homer,

so all courses should be built with max 120 yard carries and if it's windy there should be bail out areas.

If you can't carry the ball 150 yards then you should not be entering competitions full stop, social rounds yes but comps no, you are not ready for comps if you are that standard.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Rubbish homer,

so all courses should be built with max 120 yard carries and if it's windy there should be bail out areas.

If you can't carry the ball 150 yards then you should not be entering competitions full stop, social rounds yes but comps no, you are not ready for comps if you are that standard.

Not saying that at all. I've said my piece, described the hole, and played it. In my opinion it's poorly designed end of. I find it disappointing (and a tad snobbish) that if a golfer can't hit a ball 175 yards they should be precluded from playing comps as they aren't good enough. It's a bad hole and I agree with most of the sentiments in the OP about it. Not bothering to argue the toss any more. I've made my points as I see them

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Not saying that at all. I've said my piece, described the hole, and played it. In my opinion it's poorly designed end of. I find it disappointing (and a tad snobbish) that if a golfer can't hit a ball 175 yards they should be precluded from playing comps as they aren't good enough. It's a bad hole and I agree with most of the sentiments in the OP about it. Not bothering to argue the toss any more. I've made my points as I see them

So the 18th on the Arden is poorly designed? If those players that can't carry that water how do they play in monthly stroke play medals?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've said my piece. Not bothering to argue the toss any more. I've made my points as I see them

Our Son used to be like that...... If he was starting to lose an argument he would stomp his feet as he went upstairs, slam his bedroom door shut, and sit up there for an hour or two sulking.
Thank god he's grown up now. It's his 8th birthday next week.
Like I said earlier Homer, go play Crowborough Beacon.
Here's the 1st hole...
http://www.cbgc.co.uk/1st_hole

196 yard carry over heather. Doesn't sound a lot if you have a 30mph wind behind you. Try playing it with the wind in your boat race and you'll be lucky to find the fairway. Or your ball. No bale out area here, and it's the very first hole. Nearly every hole at Crowborough has a carry of some description, whether it's heather or a ravine and very few, if any, have bale out areas.
Are senior or high handicapped golfers leaving in their droves????
Crowborough is rated as one of the best courses in Sussex and has a very high proportion of elderly members (or it always did have when I was there).