Mad woman almost hit me today

G1z1

Visit site
Playing at my local course today, it was foggy this morning but on the 13th a par 3 and fog was definitely lifting. I could see the green and a good bit past it. Hit my shot and maybe 15 feet past the hole but on the green.
Get my putter out and i am standing over my ball and i hear a shout, i look over to tee box and two woman standing and one is about to tee off. So i shout whoa loud cause i know shes ready to hit one. Woman continues to hit her shot and ball comes out like a rocket and batters into the trees to my right. So i am annoyed and should wtf you doing and woman honest to god said well i did shout to let you know i was hitting. I told her it doesn’t work like that you need to wait till green is clear and then she goes well i hit the trees so whats the problem lol thank god she was bad at golf. Then at the end she went to be honest i thought you looked like a green keeper cause i had a yellow top on. So basically saying if i was a green keeper she would of just hit her shot anyway and who cares.
The greenkeeper seen me shouting at the woman so he was asking me what happened on the next hole, told him and he said yea shes not right that woman shes the past captain lol nutcase woman. So thats how my morning went. Oh yea and not once did the woman apologise it was a case of i shouted so get out my way.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Playing at my local course today, it was foggy this morning but on the 13th a par 3 and fog was definitely lifting. I could see the green and a good bit past it. Hit my shot and maybe 15 feet past the hole but on the green.
Get my putter out and i am standing over my ball and i hear a shout, i look over to tee box and two woman standing and one is about to tee off. So i shout whoa loud cause i know shes ready to hit one. Woman continues to hit her shot and ball comes out like a rocket and batters into the trees to my right. So i am annoyed and should wtf you doing and woman honest to god said well i did shout to let you know i was hitting. I told her it doesn’t work like that you need to wait till green is clear and then she goes well i hit the trees so whats the problem lol thank god she was bad at golf. Then at the end she went to be honest i thought you looked like a green keeper cause i had a yellow top on. So basically saying if i was a green keeper she would of just hit her shot anyway and who cares.
The greenkeeper seen me shouting at the woman so he was asking me what happened on the next hole, told him and he said yea shes not right that woman shes the past captain lol nutcase woman. So thats how my morning went. Oh yea and not once did the woman apologise it was a case of i shouted so get out my way.
But did you make par? :LOL:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To hit a ball with somebody on the green on a par 3 is just ridiculous.

Mind you from the sound of the course in general our course would not be open in the first place. If the manager cannot see the first green (on a par 4 hole) from his office the course is closed.

Mandofred

Visit site
Good round today for me +5, so hc should drop some more. Sitting on the balcony with the rest of our roll up of about 20 of us after the round....young guy (upper 20's?) playing as a single hits a ball on Ripons 14th across the lake....well...it did go across the lake but straight for the 1st green. No yell. Several of us old farts yelled since he didn't......landed on that green with several people pretty near it.....about 10 feet from the hole.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good round today for me +5, so hc should drop some more. Sitting on the balcony with the rest of our roll up of about 20 of us after the round....young guy (upper 20's?) playing as a single hits a ball on Ripons 14th across the lake....well...it did go across the lake but straight for the 1st green. No yell. Several of us old farts yelled since he didn't......landed on that green with several people pretty near it.....about 10 feet from the hole.

AND??
You can't just leave it at that........Did he walk on water? Was he playing the right hole? Did someone whom he nearly hit discuss his etiquette ( lack of ) with him...and then banjo him?
get his ball and fire it into the lake in full view of the knob?
Do tell, the suspense is killing me ( please don't tease- I can't take it:love::cry:)
OOPS, sorry Banjofred--good shooting(y)

Mandofred

Visit site
AND??
You can't just leave it at that........Did he walk on water? Was he playing the right hole? Did someone whom he nearly hit discuss his etiquette ( lack of ) with him...and then banjo him?
get his ball and fire it into the lake in full view of the knob?
Do tell, the suspense is killing me ( please don't tease- I can't take it:love::cry:)
OOPS, sorry Banjofred--good shooting(y)
As so many people on here have stated......the "art" of screaming FORE!!!! is disappearing. If I had been the guy who hit that truly horrible shot, and it was pretty bad, I'd have looked back at the balcony of people (we were about 100 feet from him) and at least shrugged my shoulders, or said something stupidly clever.....the guy wouldn't even look at us. The last I was paying attention to it......the people on the 1st green just putted around his ball. I was busy by then sucking down a lime and soda and gathering in our winnings for taking 2nd in the roll up as a team (came out £3 ahead!!!).

Another Senior team thing in the morning. My hcp is getting low enough that some of these guys are going to view me as a handicap since I won't be able to pull in as many pts unless I play really well. I just don't hit long enough for my hcp to go down too much further.

Loving the balls I've been trying.....Bridgestone e12 contact.....£25 a box.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Another Senior team thing in the morning. My hcp is getting low enough that some of these guys are going to view me as a handicap since I won't be able to pull in as many pts unless I play really well. I just don't hit long enough for my hcp to go down too much further.

Loving the balls I've been trying.....Bridgestone e12 contact.....£25 a box.[/QUOTE]

The h/cap thing may well have the bonus of helping your concentration on EVERY shot from now on-Good for you though,always good to hear of Forumners improving(y)
SOoooo, as to the golf balls-SURE you're not being sponsored/ getting freebies:whistle::whistle::love:???

Mandofred

Visit site

Loving the balls I've been trying.....Bridgestone e12 contact.....£25 a box.

The h/cap thing may well have the bonus of helping your concentration on EVERY shot from now on-Good for you though,always good to hear of Forumners improving(y)
SOoooo, as to the golf balls-SURE you're not being sponsored/ getting freebies:whistle::whistle::love:???[/QUOTE]

Nahhh.....I think TXG did a review of them not long ago, another reason I was giving them a try. I don't spin the ball a whole lot.....the need for expensive balls is trivial.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hey there..... You still have'nt answered what happened with numbnuts/ is he a member who can attend a little committee meeting on Tues at 7.30?/ he's barred for a week for being deadly stupid?/ he's barred for being ugly?/ he got duffed up in the locker room?

Or will the knob just do the same again tomorrow?:LOL:

Mandofred

Visit site
Hey there..... You still have'nt answered what happened with numbnuts/ is he a member who can attend a little committee meeting on Tues at 7.30?/ he's barred for a week for being deadly stupid?/ he's barred for being ugly?/ he got duffed up in the locker room?

Or will the knob just do the same again tomorrow?:LOL:
Nothing happened. But....I've never seen anybody anywhere ever get zapped for these kinds of things. No yell, slow play, huge divots not replaced etc etc. Maybe the club takes action at some golf courses, but I've never seen it happen before. Back in the US years ago I can remember somebody from the golf course drive around in a buggy talking to people who were playing too slow......but that's been quite a few years ago. I didn't see this guy hit the ball (busy sucking down that lime and soda) but looked up when a couple of the guys around me yelled fore and saw the ball in the air and landing. Both the 14th and the 1st are par 3's. The people on the 1st green might not even have known the guy hitting hadn't yelled since several people near me did yell.....so maybe no lecture from them since they would have heard a yell. This random shot with no yell does seem to be more of a problem at the second than at my first club. Which brings me to another story....

Maybe 6 weeks ago?....played in the Sunday roll up and one of playing partners was a young guy who was a long hitter. He was about 5 feet from getting on the Ripon 4th green off the white tees. This hole is listed as 358yds off the white tees...with an up hill landing so almost no roll. He did wait for the people to leave the green. On the 9th he did drive the 9th green (291yds) while those people were still on the green. His buddy who was playing in the group behind us drove into us a couple of times. I did say something to him on the 13th after he did it again although I had the impression it wasn't important to him. Turns out during conversation during the round that one of these young long hitting fellows hit a guy in the back of the head (first comp I played on this course) I was playing with back in April. Supposedly the guy who got hit heard a yell....I didn't hear anything....split his head open and we called an ambulance since it leveled him with a fair bit of blood. This ball came from the 9th tee again and hit the guy just as he was stepping off the 2nd green. They are still hitting balls into people.....nobody has done anything.

I'm playing with the guy who runs the Wed roll up this morning.....I've only been at this 2nd course since April.....maybe I'll mention this to him as see what the feeling in the club is for this kind of thing. Somebody probably would have done something by now at my home course.

There are a lot of younger fellows at both of the clubs this last year+. I just don't think they are getting the background of golf behavior/rules that used to happen. Last Sunday's roll up I played with a young (mid 20's?) guy who hasn't played a lot but is pretty decent for a new player......9th green his ball mark was on another guys putt line so he asks him to move it to the side. The young guy picks his marker up and took one big stride to the side. We just cracked up laughing although the guy looked confused and didn't know why we were laughing. The guy who asked him to move the marker just said something like "we'll fix that little problem when we putt out"....and then told him what he should have done. The guy didn't know because nobody had ever told him. Maybe there should be an introductory class on the little things like how to mark a ball, yelling fore, replacing divots before you can join a club? Although....considering how many miniscule rules and behaviours that go along with golf......that class could last a really long time.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nothing happened. But....I've never seen anybody anywhere ever get zapped for these kinds of things. No yell, slow play, huge
has done anything.

I'm playing with the guy who runs the Wed roll up this morning.....I've only been at this 2nd course since April.....maybe I'll mention this to him as see what the feeling in the club is for this kind of thing. Somebody probably would have done something by now at my home course.

Sad to say I've came across this behaviour at a few places, but sometimes, as you say it's just down to not being aware of etiquette involved/ sheer bloody ignorance/ and in some cases - a hormonal rush to move the old dudes out the way by hitting up their backsides--BIG, BIG mistake at one course where the balls were fired straight back ( in 2/3 cases from an out of sight from tee landing zone--NOW THAT must have caused some consternation :whistle:), or, on 2 other instances where the balls were knocked into deep rough in full view of the knobs on the tee ( words were exchanged as to why had we behaved in such an ungentlemanly fashion, but the situation was resolved when the miscreants were told where the nearest medical facilities were and how long would it take them to get there???:giggle:?
Oh, those were the days;)
Have ased/ suggested to our place that an induction type course/ walk-round with a member is held for all newbies + plus rule book ( although, come to think about it, maybe the whole club could do with a refresher on the basics/ pitchmarks; ringing safe to play bells; learning how to park etc.etc)
You know, sometimes it's hard being damn near perfect:giggle:

sunshine

Visit site

Quite right too. Don't you know who this lady is? She's the former captain, her husband is on the committee, she has her own space with a little plaque in the car park. You see that little flowerbed by the 1st tee? She campaigned for the greenkeepers to install it. That's her huge impact to the success of the golf club, and don't you forget it.

You should ALWAYS make way for her. She probably had an important lunch to attend with Doris and Maureen.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

Ripon?? The course with a zillion tiny black fly's. Never again.

Mandofred

Visit site
Ripon?? The course with a zillion tiny black fly's. Never again.
Let it go Crazy......you hit it on a bad day. Everybody has a bad day...... If I remember correctly, you also went nuts and went from 1 straight to the 11th.....understandable, unless you actually saw the signs that said where to go;)

Mandofred

Visit site
:LOL:..Don't you know??--We only have one season up here--WINTER? when you coming up for a look:whistle:
I don't mind it really hot, or really cold. Windy?....no problem. Vampires, zombies, serial killers?.....no problem. Flies by the zillions (as Crazyface said) and little biting midges I can't handle.:mad: