Rick Shiels Titleist/Ping Driver issue

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Second paragraph is utter nonsense in my view. Will the guy who hires skis to go skiing feel out of place when on the slopes? Did I feel out of place in a borrowed wet suit when I tried windsurfing?

Everyone starts somewhere and most of the time that includes borrowed clubs from a friend or family member. It saves an initial output and gives them the chance to have a bit of fun.

Life is full of examples of borrowing/buying second hand equipment to get you started off.

Of course, and a lot of people will happily tread this path, but from borrowing a set of clubs to getting your own new bats is becoming a massive financial outlay.
Sorry, don't know much about skiiing, but I'd be surprised if the manufacturers inflate their prices quite so much on the back of endorsement contracts and ad campaigns.
Personally the cost of equipment doesn't put me off skiing, it is more the small window to ski and the likelihood of having to incorporate a foreign trip for a few days of skiing a year.

Back to the matter at hand, so we all know it is perfectly feasible to put together a decent set with 2 or 3 year old off the shelf stuff / 2nd hand bargains / other brands etc.

But no doubt a lot of people put off by the huge prices that have now become the norm before they even bother with borrowing an old set;
£450 Driver
£300 3 wood
£200 hybrid
£700 irons
£260 wedges
£200 putter

£2,110 before buying a bag, balls or a pair of shoes.

To say my view is 'utter nonsense' you must feel that this would put no one off of taking up golf.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Of course, and a lot of people will happily tread this path, but from borrowing a set of clubs to getting your own new bats is becoming a massive financial outlay.
Sorry, don't know much about skiiing, but I'd be surprised if the manufacturers inflate their prices quite so much on the back of endorsement contracts and ad campaigns.
Personally the cost of equipment doesn't put me off skiing, it is more the small window to ski and the likelihood of having to incorporate a foreign trip for a few days of skiing a year.

Back to the matter at hand, so we all know it is perfectly feasible to put together a decent set with 2 or 3 year old off the shelf stuff / 2nd hand bargains / other brands etc.

But no doubt a lot of people put off by the huge prices that have now become the norm before they even bother with borrowing an old set;
£450 Driver
£300 3 wood
£200 hybrid
£700 irons
£260 wedges
£200 putter

£2,110 before buying a bag, balls or a pair of shoes.

To say my view is 'utter nonsense' you must feel that this would put no one off of taking up golf.
I disagree there is a need to even spend half of what you suggest and there are many routes into golf. I started up with a half set as that was all I could afford and built up piece by piece. With the likes of Golfbidder and other second hand companies, there are options to by stuff that is only 3-5 years old and perfectly playable especially for a newbie looking to get into the game. Even members at my place are only making one off purchases (new driver, new putter etc) and not buying new bags of gear each time

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
My thoughts are that if you spend £450 on a driver, you want your head looking at. Unless it's a once every 10 years type thing.

If you then think you will change that club within a year, regardless of the circumstances, then you want your head looking at.

The more and more reviews / studies / stats that you see confirm that clubs aren't really going that much further.

Tour players are hitting it further due to a combination of modern equipment, fine tuning set ups, ball, technique and conditioning. No one is picking up a brand new club and hitting it miles further than last years model.

Companies are in the business of making money. They will tell whatever story they can get away with as part of the marketing blurb, but ultimately if consumers keep paying the money, the prices will keep going up.

The correct answer. Anyone who thinks their brand new driver is out of date and not fit for purpose because another model has come out a few months later is deluded.

Rick S used to be good content, but he's obviously chosen to go down the route of getting as many followers as possible by posting as much click bait as he can. Fair enough if that is where he wants to go, but not for me.

User20204

Visit site
he's obviously chosen to go down the route of getting as many followers as possible by posting as much click bait as he can. Fair enough if that is where he wants to go, but not for me.

That seems to be the way of it with many of them now, particularly the likes of James Robinson, it's all clickbait stuff now but it's earning them money so guess that's their prerogative.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
At the end of the day titleist is a business and they’re goal is to make money with this release they’re sales will go up and they make more money .Some just like a new shinny I agree if I had a ts3 /ts2 I’d be a bit peed off but if I had a good fit to one of the older clubs and was happy I wouldn’t be splashing the cash to keep up with the new market .
I always played titleist woods from my teens up until I was 30 with my last being the 915 range I loved the appearance and feel ect but when I went for a 917 fitting the fitter gave me a m4 with a project x black shaft in and it blew everything out the water nothing got near it I know when I’m playing well I’m getting optimum performance out of my driver (good launch and low spin )it’s tranformed my driving!So I haven’t even bothered looking at the ts range or the newer t/m m5/6 I might gain 4 yards carry or something but the tech in my m4 is still pretty up to date and it works well for me .Maybe I’ll hit a ts3 or 2 one day but won’t be jumping at one to gain a couple of yards .
As for shiels I’ve gone right off him I don’t bother watching his videos anymore .