Rick Shiels Titleist/Ping Driver issue

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Unfortunately as long as people keep buying the latest and 'greatest' drivers every time a new one is released, then manufacturers will keep on churning them out.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't get it. Learn to hit the driver you have, or find out which driver is best for you. Odds on it's not always the latest and greatest!
Would rather spend £400 on learning to hit the driver right than hoping a new £400 driver will magically cure my slice.

This 'chasing the dragon' nonsense only benefits the companies.

Fabia999

Visit site
Don't get it. Learn to hit the driver you have, or find out which driver is best for you. Odds on it's not always the latest and greatest!
Would rather spend £400 on learning to hit the driver right than hoping a new £400 driver will magically cure my slice.

This 'chasing the dragon' nonsense only benefits the companies.

okay. Lets say the best driver for you is a ts2 but in a maximum 10 months something comes out in the same line of drivers which gives you even better performance. are you not annoyed?

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Where in the World can you buy something thats future proof guaranteed that doesn't cost 2 arms and 1 leg?

Well typically your pretty certain that no additional products will be introduced for 2 years when buying Titleist in line with their release cycle.

To me it’s not about technology as I don’t buy into many of TaylorMades marketing designs.

It’s about a head being introduced that has completely different characteristics that may suit you better than the current line up.

My spin and launch etc is great with the TS3, I doubt the TS4 would better it as no other drivers on the market did, but it would have been nice to be aware of it to decide if it’s worth hanging on to try it out before making a purchase.

I’ll try it, if it’s even more optimal than the TS3 which I doubt it will be then I’ll buy it.

As said it’s not the end of the world but with Titleist you usually feel you know where you stand in term of releases.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
okay. Lets say the best driver for you is a ts2 but in a maximum 10 months something comes out in the same line of drivers which gives you even better performance. are you not annoyed?

It's not definitely gauranteed to give you better performance though is it. It may be better for you.

Every golfer knows that a new driver/hybrid/iron/putter/ball etc from a certain manufacturer will be released every 10,12 or 18 months. It's just the way it is.

Fabia999

Visit site
It's not definitely gauranteed to give you better performance though is it. It may be better for you.

Every golfer knows that a new driver/hybrid/iron/putter/ball etc from a certain manufacturer will be released every 10,12 or 18 months. It's just the way it is.

No, I am fully aware of that but in my made up scenario it does give you better performance.

Well.. not every golfer, because I was not aware of manufacturers releasing new drivers every 10 months. Otherwise I would not have made this thread.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, I am fully aware of that but in my made up scenario it does give you better performance.

Well.. not every golfer, because I was not aware of manufacturers releasing new drivers every 10 months. Otherwise I would not have made this thread.

I wish I played like the person in your made up scenario.

Yes, sorry they've released a new driver 2 months earlier than every other manufacturer normal does.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think the issue is that Titleist have ALWAYS released new clubs on a 2 year cycle. A month ago there was no whisper of this release. A slow swinger could easily have been fitted into a TS2 with a senior shaft but now the TS1 could be a better fit. Had it been 23 months since the TS2 had been released then it's reasonable to expect a new release but only 10 months into the 2 year cycle is going to grate on some..

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think it's a case of titleist trying to stay relevant during their cycle.

Find it hard to believe a company such as themselves saying they have only just stumbled upon the ability to make a higher spin model and an even lower spin.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think the issue is that Titleist have ALWAYS released new clubs on a 2 year cycle. A month ago there was no whisper of this release. A slow swinger could easily have been fitted into a TS2 with a senior shaft but now the TS1 could be a better fit. Had it been 23 months since the TS2 had been released then it's reasonable to expect a new release but only 10 months into the 2 year cycle is going to grate on some..

Would your average player have the remotest scooby that Titleist have typically used a 2yr release cycle though?
A few 'forum types' might be knarked (should that have a silent 'k') but joe and janet golfer maybe not so much

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Would your average player have the remotest scooby that Titleist have typically used a 2yr release cycle though?
A few 'forum types' might be knarked (should that have a silent 'k') but joe and janet golfer maybe not so much
No, you're right. Average Joe probably couldn't care less but then Average Joe probably isn't getting fitted to a Titleist. I'd suggest that TM or Callaway would sweep up them up as they're, possibly, more well known.
Still going to pee quite a few people off

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
I don't see the issue, it's not like the TS2/3 has just been released. If you wanted the latest and greatest then you should be buying when it's released to get the maximum 'latest' time out of it. If you'd bought last week then i'd be annoyed but there has to be a cut off point.....do they announce it a month before release? What about those that bought the day before that?! Ok, announce it 2 months before....but what about etc etc
I see it as Titleist reacting to a gap in their current offering as i'm pretty sure it didn't take another 10 months to develop these over the time it took to develop the 2 and 3. They identified a shortcoming in their current line up and reacted to it by releasing 2 new models to the range. Surely they should be applauded for reacting and giving the market what it needs.

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The cynic in me would suggest the TS range hasn't performed as well for them as they hoped. They've priced them out of their normal brackets (for 917 / 915 range) and people ain't buying (from my local anecdotal experience).

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As someone who was fitted for and bought a TS3 a wee while ago, I couldn't care less about the TS1&4 coming out. I'm hitting the ball further, straighter and more consistently than ever so as far as I'm concerned I got what I wanted when I bought the club.

Fabia999

Visit site
As someone who was fitted for and bought a TS3 a wee while ago, I couldn't care less about the TS1&4 coming out. I'm hitting the ball further, straighter and more consistently than ever so as far as I'm concerned I got what I wanted when I bought the club.

What if the you hit the TS4 even straighter, further and more consistently than the TS3 for the same price and less than a year later?