Rick Shiels Titleist/Ping Driver issue

Fabia999

Visit site
Hi,

Rick Shiels has recently released a video regarding the new Titleist and Ping drivers.

In the video, he talks about how Titleist have released two drivers around 10 months ago and have now announced they are adding two more to the 'family' (ts1 and ts4). He explains that if you have recently been fitted to a ts2 or ts3 you might have missed out on your max performance that could have came from the ts1 or ts4. So you've now spent £450 on a driver that isn't the best for you. Instead should companies announce whats coming out so golfers can make a decision whether to wait?

I understand that they run a business and if they stagger release the new drivers it might add up more sales or even people quickly swapping to the new club (extra £450)
*Note* I might not have explained this fully.

What are your thoughts on that subject?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Hi,

Rick Shiels has recently released a video regarding the new Titleist and Ping drivers.

In the video, he talks about how Titleist have released two drivers around 10 months ago and have now announced they are adding two more to the 'family' (ts1 and ts4). He explains that if you have recently been fitted to a ts2 or ts3 you might have missed out on your max performance that could have came from the ts1 or ts4. So you've now spent £450 on a driver that isn't the best for you. Instead should companies announce whats coming out so golfers can make a decision whether to wait?

I understand that they run a business and if they stagger release the new drivers it might add up more sales or even people quickly swapping to the new club (extra £450)
*Note* I might not have explained this fully.

What are your thoughts on that subject?

I actually commented on his video and was one of the few not to get an instant like from him. Probably because I was critical of him.

His main point imo was that it was misleading of a company to sell something before all options were available. I asked him if it were any difference to Nike bringing out four new colour ways of shoes for each major when they’ve already sold the same shoe to punters weeks previously?

Re Titleist. They are still likely to have only released 4 drivers in 24months. At worst that’s the same as their competitors.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I was fitted for a TS3, had improved numbers over my 917 and made the purchase.

I'm going to a local Titleist Thursday in a few weeks to trial the TS4, I'm hoping it is almost too ultra spin for me but I have a terrible feeling it's going to make my spin numbers about as optimal as they can be.

Frustrating and in future these companies need to be clear on exactly what is intended to be released as part of the family.

I'm not sure if TS1 and TS4 were genuinely determined post TS2/TS3 release based on feedback or if it was always in the pipeline however I hope not. The rep was extremely apologetic with me when we discussed it and advises he had no idea about the impending release back when I originally trialed the TS3 last year.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Isn't it just the evolution/improvement of technology? If you buy anything technology wise surely you understand that the next release will be slightly more advanced than the last version.

isnt the argument that these arent the next release but a different version of the same release (that werent available when all the fanboys rushed to buy the latest and greatest)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's scandalous how often they release products anyway. People used to say Titleist were better than the others, but they've obviously joined in now. New product lines seemingly every 6 months is ridiculous.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I actually commented on his video and was one of the few not to get an instant like from him. Probably because I was critical of him.

His main point imo was that it was misleading of a company to sell something before all options were available. I asked him if it were any difference to Nike bringing out four new colour ways of shoes for each major when they’ve already sold the same shoe to punters weeks previously?

Re Titleist. They are still likely to have only released 4 drivers in 24months. At worst that’s the same as their competitors.

I don't think that is the same thing as the shoes won't increase performance but the TS4 could increase someones performance over the TS3 which they have just purchased.

Although I would argue that if someone is so set on one brand they may not have even got the best performing driver at the beginning anyway. Maybe if they had tried a different manufacturer they could have found better performance than what the TS4 would have given them.

It is a little sneaky from the company to do this but companies are going to release new products, whether they call them the same thing or not.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Isn't it just the evolution/improvement of technology? If you buy anything technology wise surely you understand that the next release will be slightly more advanced than the last version.

Yes but based on titleist release schedule most people assumed wrongly that technology wouldn't be superseded until their next bi-yearly release.

Most don't have issue with the 4 options in one family but they need to be released at the same time or at least advise that there is a staggered release which may have a better option for you depending on your swing characteristics.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I don't think that is the same thing as the shoes won't increase performance but the TS4 could increase someones performance over the TS3 which they have just purchased.

Although I would argue that if someone is so set on one brand they may not have even got the best performing driver at the beginning anyway. Maybe if they had tried a different manufacturer they could have found better performance than what the TS4 would have given them.

It is a little sneaky from the company to do this but companies are going to release new products, whether they call them the same thing or not.

I agree to a point but titleist say they've built on the info from previous two drivers. If they release 2 more a year from now on then I'd understand his POV but atm they are far behind competitors for release cycles.

He's being controversial for the sake of it imo.

Re shoes though. That was more at his point that buyers should know all the options before purchasing. Let's be honest. Lots of golfers buys clubs because or wears gear because a star uses them. Lots don't get on trackman before buying drivers etc.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think it is the fact that they have released more drivers that is the issue. It is the fact that they have released different profiles of the same driver that may suit certain people better. On that basis, people being fitted for a driver in the Titleist TS range may now not have the optimal fit and may have waited if they had known that a higher and lower spon option would soon be available

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree to a point but titleist say they've built on the info from previous two drivers. If they release 2 more a year from now on then I'd understand his POV but atm they are far behind competitors for release cycles.

He's being controversial for the sake of it imo.

Re shoes though. That was more at his point that buyers should know all the options before purchasing. Let's be honest. Lots of golfers buys clubs because or wears gear because a star uses them. Lots don't get on trackman before buying drivers etc.

Yeah I agree and understand what you are saying although I do find it hard to believe that Ping did not have this in the pipeline 2 months ago.

Both Ping and Titleist drivers are not as adjustable as the others (Like the m5 which has sliding weights for spin etc). So obviously they need to have more types of the same driver so I do not agree that they are taking the P in this area.

He mentioned in the video that Ping didn't bring out a G410 LST as the G400 LST couldn't be beaten. Does that mean they still offered the G400 LST as a custom fit option? Also take your point that people dont get custom fit, which would also play into the fact someone who wants Titleist will get a Titleist driver without trying any others so would the TS4 even have been better that the equivalent m5 etc.

He is also doing my head in with all the click bait he is putting on Facebook and how he titles his videos.

D

Deleted member 1147

I don't think it is the fact that they have released more drivers that is the issue. It is the fact that they have released different profiles of the same driver that may suit certain people better. On that basis, people being fitted for a driver in the Titleist TS range may now not have the optimal fit and may have waited if they had known that a higher and lower spon option would soon be available
Sometimes the fitters know what is coming in the not too distant future, and advise people to wait - it happened to me with a Titleist fitter many years ago.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it not like anything technology based you can buy?.
You buy a car, but you know the next version will be better in most aspects. Surely you buy the driver you do becasue that is the best for you at that time, not in the future.
If you're so wrapped up in must having the very latest, then good luck to you and probably more fool you for spending that money when you know there will be the next best thing any time in the future.
Companies will never stop the accelerating rpoduct cycle until buyers stop buying the very latest. They are feeding our demand for instant results and gratification.:)

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Yeah I agree and understand what you are saying although I do find it hard to believe that Ping did not have this in the pipeline 2 months ago.

Both Ping and Titleist drivers are not as adjustable as the others (Like the m5 which has sliding weights for spin etc). So obviously they need to have more types of the same driver so I do not agree that they are taking the P in this area.

He mentioned in the video that Ping didn't bring out a G410 LST as the G400 LST couldn't be beaten. Does that mean they still offered the G400 LST as a custom fit option? Also take your point that people dont get custom fit, which would also play into the fact someone who wants Titleist will get a Titleist driver without trying any others so would the TS4 even have been better that the equivalent m5 etc.

He is also doing my head in with all the click bait he is putting on Facebook and how he titles his videos.

Glad someone else noticed it, I've unsubscribed.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Glad someone else noticed it, I've unsubscribed.
You can’t not notice all the ‘answer this and tag a mate’ thing. He used to be my number 1 youtuber, now I watch him occasionally.

Haven’t watched the new video, but decided on the title and on how he primed it on Facebook that I won’t anyway.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
While it's not the end of the world, if I'd not long bought a 2 or 3 I'd be pretty miffed that they've released a 1 and a 4.
I think the 4 will have a pretty limited market being a massive spin killer, more so than the 3
The 1, maybe , has a place but isn't the 2 forgiving enough already?
Do Titleist really need 4 drivers? Surely they could have made do with 3..?

The Ping one is slightly different in my opinion
Yes, they said, originally, that they couldn't better the G400 LS tec and wouldn't release a 410 version until they could.
At least the implication is that there will be a 410 LS tec at some stage.

Callaway often get stick but recently they've reigned it in a bit and are moving to a 2 year cycle
Admittedly they have 5 drivers but they are spread over 3 ranges at different price points

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Seriously......you spend £400 on a new driver and you are surprised that a so called better one is released a few months down the line. I'm surprised that anyone is surprised.

D

Deleted member 15344

They main brands are getting all as bad as each other with the amount of releases that happen - TM is now two a year , Callaway a new driver every year , Ping the same , Titleist going that way as well , Cobra new every year - it’s the same with shoes , balls etc etc

There is always the option to not buy , no one is forced to the new latest model.