Revetted Style Bunkers

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We are building a new bunker on our practice chipping/putting ground in a revetted style. Not sure if the plan is to roll this out across the course. Q: is it a style that is specific to links courses or is it appropriate for any course?

Picture of the guys hard at work in the rain on Friday. Will post the final result - or any intermediate work-in-progress shots.

new bunker.jpg

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We are building a new bunker on our practice chipping/putting ground in a revetted style. Not sure if the plan is to roll this out across the course. Q: is it a style that is specific to links courses or is it appropriate for any course?

Picture of the guys hard at work in the rain on Friday. Will post the final result - or any intermediate work-in-progress shots.

View attachment 21699

Interesting, looks like artificial turf being used and.... why would they be using a cement mixer???

ours are just Turf and nothing else.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Interesting, looks like artificial turf being used and.... why would they be using a cement mixer???

ours are just Turf and nothing else.

I'll ask our Head G/K (he standing) - maybe he used the concrete to create a solid base/foundation for the turfs against the face. And yes - it def seems to be artificial turf - I'll ask why and if that just for this practice bunker?

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
Our bunkers are being done at the moment. Turf bunker rivets last 5 to 8 years. Where the astroturf has a 15 to 20 years life span.

Longer life span and cheaper to maintain. We found that you need at least 3 layers of turf at the top, otherwise the turf doesn't retain enough moisture in the summer.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Seems like a big expense for a practice bunker that the majority of the members will not use.:whistle::)

I thought revetted bunkers were for links courses to prevent wind erosion ? Personally prefer ordinary bunkers on heathland courses, but with some nice heather on the top. If I could I would now post some nice pictures of the bunkers at Sunningdale.;)

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
All the bunkers at The Millbrook (Bedfordshire) are revetted including the 3 practice bunkers.
The course is described as "heathland with links style pot bunkers."

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
All the bunkers at mine are revetted and most have been redone over the past 12 months, some of them have have the grass growing longer over the top of them like Royal County Downs.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Revetted bunkers look far smarter in my opinion.

Is your course potentially putting this in as a "trial/experiment" prior to doing the whole course.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
All the bunkers at mine are revetted and most have been redone over the past 12 months, some of them have have the grass growing longer over the top of them like Royal County Downs.

Ours all are revetted, don't have the wispy grass on top which I really like the look of.

Maybe not on all but would make some of the fairway bunkers look better IMO.

Never seen it done with artificial turf though....

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'll ask our Head G/K (he standing) - maybe he used the concrete to create a solid base/foundation for the turfs against the face. And yes - it def seems to be artificial turf - I'll ask why and if that just for this practice bunker?

I remember seeing ads a while ago in a free golf mag for a company called EcoBunker, and they were artificial i think, maybe its one of those

D

Deleted Member 1156

Revetted bunkers are best suited to links courses, they are pointless for the flat low faced things you tend to get on parkland courses.

G

guest100718

All the bunkers at The Millbrook (Bedfordshire) are revetted including the 3 practice bunkers.
The course is described as "heathland with links style pot bunkers."

Some real tough bunkers there.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally prefer the look of the revetted style bunkers. The do look better on a links course but don't see any reason not to be used on other types of course.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Personally prefer the look of the revetted style bunkers. The do look better on a links course but don't see any reason not to be used on other types of course.

The reason for Revetting is most links are on sandy soil so it protects the face from water damage and general erosion. The are more expensive to build than a standard parkland course one that would'nt have the same issues as on links soil.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I love the look of a revetted bunker and it's good to see a club investing heavily in the practice facilities for members. It seems a logical move to make it artificial for longevity but not sure about concrete in there. Won't that impact drainage?

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
IMG_0027.jpg
Riveting finished and top soil added.
IMG_0029.jpg
Turfed.
IMG_0031.jpg
Finished article.

This is one of the greenside bunkers on our 8th hole.
On the last picture you can see the turf starting to yellow. This was where we had an inch of topsoil and one layer of turf. We learnt from this and the top three rows of riveting are turf to help,with water retention.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site